This Week's Enemy Fan Forums: The Miami Dolphins

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

frosted
Career Elite Player

This Week's Enemy Fan Forums: The Miami Dolphins

Post by frosted »

Viking Stat Box: Offense

Code: Select all

312.9 Total Yards/Game (28th in NFL)
201.1 Passing Yards/Game (27th in NFL)
111.7 Rushing Yards/Game (15th in NFL)
19.8 Points/Game (24th in NFL)
Viking Stat Box: Defense

Code: Select all

339.9 Total Yards/Game (11th in NFL)
216 Passing Yards/Game (6th in NFL)
123.9 Rushing Yards/Game (23rd in NFL)
21.2 Points/Game (12th in NFL)
Random thoughts/observations:

* I can't say I expected us to be in a position to win that game in the fourth quarter, but it's still disappointing that the Vikes surprised us in how competitive they were, only to come up..just short.

* Let's all give a round of applause for the way the defense played. They did a really great job holding the Lions offense down, even when put in a bad spot by Teddy's interceptions. The run defense was much better than it has been in a while. The pass defense, as always, was terrific. These young bucks are really coming along.

* The offense is still very much a work in progress, but it's been much improved the last few weeks, which is encouraging. Bridgewater has to eliminate those interceptions, though. If he does, we win that game. It's hard for me to contextualize his performances, at least lately. I have to remind myself that he's a rookie, and expecting him to excel consistently is a fool's errand. At the same time, I find myself raising my standards for him, and when he comes up short, it's disappointing.

* Andrew Sendejo did a nice job filling in this week, I thought. I didn't notice him at all in pass coverage, and I saw him stick his nose in there on run defense a few times. Considering Barr, Floyd, and Blanton were all out on defense, I think it says a lot about the depth we have at their positions that we were able to turn in one of our very best defensive efforts of the season on Sunday.

* Matt Kalil seemed to hold up much better this week and the past few weeks. Hopefully he's working some of his problems out.

* Let's mention a player who rarely gets mentioned - Joe Berger. He's quietly always a steady player, filling in seemingly every season, and providing the Vikings with a serviceable piece on the offensive line.

* Keep voting for Everson Griffen, Harrison Smith, and Xavier Rhodes for the Pro Bowl. They deserve to go to Hawaii.

* No sacks last week. Still, I felt there was generally good pressure on Stafford. We held him to 5.46 YPA, which is a season low for him. That was, IMO, a joint effort from the front seven and the defensive backfield.

* I thought Zim had a great gameplan schemed up defensively, especially in taking Calvin Johnson away. Rhodes followed him all over the field, but even still, Harrison was heavily involved in taking him away as well. Good work, Iron Mike.

* I actually think Norv had a good game plan in place as well, getting the ball out of Teddy's hands quickly, and letting the receivers make plays after the catch. He really negated the Lions excellent defensive line in a lot of ways.

* Tip of the cap to Matt Asiata. Man he likes contact.

* Rhett Ellison too.

* Gerald Hodges with another solid week, he was all over the place Sunday. 9 tackles and 2 more passes deflected. He's good at playing professional football.

* Shamar Stephen is really starting to look like a steal of a seventh round draft pick. It's always nice to get something out of those late round picks, and it looks like Shamar could eventually give us quite a bit more than just something.

This Week

We're going to Miami...We're going to Miami...A few weeks ago, I thought this would be a game that we'd have a tough time being competitive in, and would have pegged as a sure loss. While I still have my doubts that we'll be able to win this one, especially being on the road in dat heat, the Dolphins have looked more vulnerable lately. Just based on the eyeball test, Miami is a good football team, with a top notch defense, and a very efficient offense.

I'm afraid that Teddy is going to have a very tough time throwing the ball this week - Miami is ranked 4th in passing yards allowed/game (209.2). They rank 13th in sacks (34 of them), and their passer rating against of 84.2 is 10th in the NFL. All told their defense is allowing the 7th fewest yards/game and give up 21.5 point/game (15th). They can be had on the ground, as they allow 122.4 rushing yards/game (22nd).

Offensively, the Dolphins are 19th in total yards/game, 20th in passing yards/game, 14th in rushing yards/game, and 12th in scoring (23.4 points/game). We'll need to play tight coverage, and get pressure on Tannehill to disrupt their short passing game.

I'm thinking the Dolphins win this game 20-17. Oy.

Key Players to Contain - Dolphins Offense

* Jarvis Landry (WR): Mike Wallace makes a lot of money, but Jarvis Landry is the Dolphins most reliable WR. The rookie from LSU caught 9 passes for 99 yards against a formidable Patriot secondary last week. He operates on underneath patterns extremely efficiently. He's the safety valve for Ryan Tannehill.

* Ryan Tannehill (QB): Everytime I have watched him play this year, I've come away pretty impressed. He's doing a great job getting the ball out of his hands quickly and accurately. He seems to be very comfortable throwing short and intermediate passes. Also a threat to run the football.

* Lamar Miller (RB): He's a solid back - averaging 4.7 YPC and is currently closing in on his first career 1,000 yard season. He'll also catch a few balls out of the backfield.

Key Players to Neutralize - Dolphins Defense

* Cameron Wake (DE): He's a beast! If we're not careful with him, he'll ruin Teddy's day.

* Brent Grimes (CB): Such a good athlete. I saw him make an interception earlier this year where he jumped 63 feet off the ground. True story.

* Reshad Jones (S): A solid safety, rangy in pass coverage and able to come up to support the run.

This Week's TV Maps

http://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2014&wk=16

We get Kenny, Moose, and Goose this week! How about that!? I love that crew, personally. The Twin Cities also gets Kansas City - Pittsburgh early on CBS, and then Indy - Dallas late on CBS. Excited for that game. Jags - Titans is tomorrow night (ish). 49ers - Chargers and Redskins - Eagles play Saturday night. Just like old times, Saturday night NFL, late in the season. Do you guys remember the year the Vikes played the Chiefs on Saturday night, in Week 16, I believe (had to have been 2003), where Moss let the afro out, and we kicked their ####? Seattle - Arizona is the Sunday night tilt, and the weeks closes out with Cincy - Denver on MNF.

Here are the enemy fan forums for this week:

Fin Heaven

http://www.finheaven.com/forumdisplay.p ... hins-Forum

Football's Future

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/v ... m.php?f=23

The Phins

http://www.thephins.com/forums/forumdis ... hins-Forum

Phins.com

http://www.phins.com/phorum/list.php?3

What they're saying:
Trade rumors are picking up for Harbaugh to Miami. In my opinion, this would be HUGE for us and would be worth a draft pick (as long as its not a 1st or 2nd). He turned the niners around and made them relevant again.

What are your thoughts on this? Is he worth a draft pick (if so, how much would you be willing to give)?
Well, we have another problem on the horizon as well. If the Phins are unable to land a top tier coach early in the off-season, our free agents might not want to resign with the Phins. Pouncey has made allot of noise that he is tired of being on a loosing team. He may not resign. So the Phins could possibly loose the best free agents they have due to this.
I like how Joe backed off the players Tuesday. Smart move. Break up the standard approach. Maybe there is more energy Sunday.

Hope the LB's are back as well.
I hope Jamar Taylor plays. Still don't know what we have in that kid.
Vikings are 6-8 and Teddy Bridgewater (R) is there QB. I haven't seen them play much so I don't know much about their team (of late).

With our rag-tag walking wounded, do we have enough offensive firepower available to out score the mediocre Vikings?

The beating by the Patriots is yesterday's embarrassment. Putting aside all of our disappointment for a moment, can we out play, out coach Zimmer and Spielman's troupe of players? What do you think?
I would not even compare the Phins against the Vikes. If we lose against the Vikes who don't have their best offensive player and a rookie qb then its more get rid of Philbin postings.
odds are we want it less and they win going away...
At this point i wouldn't say we're any better...if it weren't Bridgewater we'll be facing I'd say we were the lesser team. Between the injuries, the TOTAL defensive COLLAPSE over the last few games and the regression in our red zone offense over the same period...i really don't see how we think we're 'better'
For the next two games, Miami's record is better, but that's about it.

Minny is playing pretty good ball, right now. That doesn't mean they have a great team, but they are not bottom dwellers, either.

Miami and the Jets always battle it out. No matter the records, it's always a toss up. Remember this...Miami beat the Jets in the last meeting. Geno is playing better.
I'm worried that Philbin and the boys are looking past Minny at the jest game and, will take the Vikings too lightly.
I think we'll win both games.

We do so much better when the pressure's off. Under Satan, didn't we reel off like 6 wins in a row to close the season when we had lost so much early in the season that we never really had a chance at the playoffs. Heck, even in 2008 it took a late-season run through some of the worst teams in the league to get us to 11-5 even after NE gift-wrapped the division when Brady went down.

The last 2 games of last year and the last 2 games we played this year have told me what I need to know about Philbin. We should have won last year's games and we should have AT LEAST competed in this year's.
Season records aside - right now it looks like the Vikes are playing better football then the Dolphins. It's anybody's game vs. either of them IMO.
Vikings are playing well. Bridgewater is a decent QB. He will throw Int's but he also plays well. They are certainly playing better with him at QB.
Go Vikes!
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: This Week's Enemy Fan Forums: The Miami Dolphins

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Correction. The Pro Bowl is in Arizona this year. But you're right, they do deserve to come to Hawaii.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Thanks again Frosted.

I do think, even as early as next year, people wont be saying things like 'if we cant beat the lowly Vikings). If not, it may turn out to be another year, right after the stadium is ready, to clean coaches and QBs. And I really pray to god that wont happen.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

O, and I don't know if my PC, browsers (Firefox and Chrome) but I cant seem to vote on the prowbowl, or even see the page, where to vote for who ever.

I also have to relog in to this page every time I use it, and just like when GLG left and screwed up the site for a few days, once in a while I will go to the bookmarked page for this site, and it sends me off to Yahoo search (which isn't my main search engine, google is ). And my pc beeps every time I move the mouse. Maybe a time for a reformatting.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Thanks again Frosted.

I do think, even as early as next year, people wont be saying things like 'if we cant beat the lowly Vikings). If not, it may turn out to be another year, right after the stadium is ready, to clean coaches and QBs. And I really pray to god that wont happen.
It better not be another year to replace coaches and the starting QB. That path leads to the kind of hopelessness Raiders and Browns fans have faced for a long time. Unless the wheels unexpectedly and completely come off in 2015, Mike Zimmer had better be coaching this Vikings team in 2016.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

808vikingsfan wrote:Correction. The Pro Bowl is in Arizona this year. But you're right, they do deserve to come to Hawaii.
Lol, my mistake.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:O, and I don't know if my PC, browsers (Firefox and Chrome) but I cant seem to vote on the prowbowl, or even see the page, where to vote for who ever.

I also have to relog in to this page every time I use it, and just like when GLG left and screwed up the site for a few days, once in a while I will go to the bookmarked page for this site, and it sends me off to Yahoo search (which isn't my main search engine, google is ). And my pc beeps every time I move the mouse. Maybe a time for a reformatting.

Sounds like you may have a yahoo redirect malware.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=yahoo+search+virus
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

frosted wrote:* Let's all give a round of applause for the way the defense played. They did a really great job holding the Lions offense down, even when put in a bad spot by Teddy's interceptions. The run defense was much better than it has been in a while. The pass defense, as always, was terrific. These young bucks are really coming along.
They played a very good game but I confess, the 4th quarter scoring drive that put the Lions ahead still rankles. The defense hasn't suffered the number of late collapses they did last year but they do keep allowing opponents to rally late. I feel guilty bringing it up in relation to this game because the defense only allowed 6 second half points and overall, had an excellent game but it's been an issue this year. I don't know if it's conditioning, bad luck, youth, coincidence or what but there have been too many drives in the 4th quarter where they needed a stop and didn't get one.

That said, they played very well against the Lions and with a little more help from the offense, the Vikes could easily have won that game.
* Matt Kalil seemed to hold up much better this week and the past few weeks. Hopefully he's working some of his problems out.

* Let's mention a player who rarely gets mentioned - Joe Berger. He's quietly always a steady player, filling in seemingly every season, and providing the Vikings with a serviceable piece on the offensive line.
Good points. Kalil has looked solid to me for a while now and Berger has really proven to be a reliable backup for the Vikes. I wish they had a few more like him..
* Tip of the cap to Matt Asiata. Man he likes contact.

* Rhett Ellison too.
Those two gained some tough yardage on Sunday. I was impressed.

My take on the upcoming game is basically the same as yours. I hope we're wrong about the outcome.
* Brent Grimes (CB): Such a good athlete. I saw him make an interception earlier this year where he jumped 63 feet off the ground. True story.
:rofl:

Great post, as always with these "Enemy Fan Forums" posts. Thanks!
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Mothman wrote: It better not be another year to replace coaches and the starting QB. That path leads to the kind of hopelessness Raiders and Browns fans have faced for a long time. Unless the wheels unexpectedly and completely come off in 2015, Mike Zimmer had better be coaching this Vikings team in 2016.
That's what I hope as well. I think Zimmer is the real deal.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Mothman wrote:They played a very good game but I confess, the 4th quarter scoring drive that put the Lions ahead still rankles. The defense hasn't suffered the number of late collapses they did last year but they do keep allowing opponents to rally late. I feel guilty bringing it up in relation to this game because the defense only allowed 6 second half points and overall, had an excellent game but it's been an issue this year. I don't know if it's conditioning, bad luck, youth, coincidence or what but there have been too many drives in the 4th quarter where they needed a stop and didn't get one.

That said, they played very well against the Lions and with a little more help from the offense, the Vikes could easily have won that game.
Agreed - that's my one gripe with them too. Well, that and the run defense (though the run defense has been a lot better the last two weeks).
Mothman wrote: :rofl:

Great post, as always with these "Enemy Fan Forums" posts. Thanks!
Thank you, sir.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: That's what I hope as well. I think Zimmer is the real deal.
Cheers to that! :burp:
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

@christomasson wrote:Teddy said last two games vs Green Bay and Detroit giving Vikings future confidence even though 0 5 vs NFC north

Brian Robison said the goal was a winning season but now it's 8 and 8

Brian Robison said he's a defensive end and doesn't relish playing three technique

Robert Blanton (leg) said he expects to play Sunday at Miami/hopes to practice Wed "That's the plan,'' said Blanton who sat out at Detroit.

Blair Walsh watched the tape of the blocked kick. Said it was the protection up front and the field-goal team must shore that up.

Jerome Felton's three snaps Sunday at Detroit are the fewest he's played in his Minnesota 43-game career. Previous low was 5.

Cordarrelle Patterson was in for nine snaps on Sunday after being in for four in the previous two games combined.

Blair Walsh was asked if Sunday was one of the worst games of his NFL career. “Yeah, you could say that. Thanks.’’

Blair Walsh says among NFL's best kickers "I know I can hang with these guys in the league and just want to go out there and be dependable"

After watching tape, Mike Zimmer says Vikings did a lot of good things in game.

Mike Zimmer: "We didn't do enough things in the critical areas of the ballgame to win.''

Mike Zimmer talked to the team today about letting teams this year back in games. Tampa Bay. Buffalo. Jets. Detroit yesterday.

Mike Zimmer talks about the Vikings having to be tough in the fourth quarter.

Mike Zimmer said Matt Asiata, if he doesn't get out of bounds, needed to get enough yards for first down on late screen pass. Got nine.

Zimmer: "The good thing is Teddy is getting good experience.'' Zimmer said it will "bode well'' for the future.

Mike Zimmer most frustrated at lack of execution on last drive.

Mike Zimmer: "I think I'm learning this division better but I'd rather learn with a win.''

Mike Zimmer; "I thought Sendejo did well.''

Mike Zimmer said he was "nervous'' at the beginning of the year to make sure he didn't hurt Teddy's confidence.

Zimmer said Teddy's experiences this year will help Teddy.

Mike Zimmer: "I'm glad that we're keeping (Teddy) upright.''

Mike Zimmer said Kyle Rudolph looked "more like himself'' the last week in practice & game But agrees with Norv Turner not all the way back.

Mike Zimmer said Vikings just need to "get over the hump" to win. Calls the next two weeks very important in process.

Mike Zimmer says not backing off on anything in final two games.

Zimmer says "I'm too much of a competitor" to not fight until the end and hopes his team is the same way.

Zimmer on Ben Tate: "He's still learning the different intricacies of the offense.''

Zimmer says he doesn't know if the four guys who sat out Sunday have a chance to return against Miami or not: Floyd, Blanton, Johnson, Barr

Vikings guard Joe Berger bought a 1953 Studebaker in Rogers, Minn recently that he's restoring. Fellow Vikings players have been admiring it

Vikings waive J'Marcus Webb. Evidently, the Vikings didn't like the job he did on that blocked field goal.

Joe Philbin on Ryan Tannehill: "His accuracy has improved, his decision making has improved.''

Joe Philbin: "We haven't played 60 minutes of football.''

Joe Philbin, when asked what kind of distraction his job status can be entering the Minnesota game: "Zero.''

Joe Philbin says it helps a "little bit'' knowing Vikings defensive personnel from when he was Green Bay's offensive coordinator through '11

Joe Philbin: "I just think Coach Zimmer and George Edwards, who was with us here, their defense is playing really fast and aggressive.''

Joe Philbin "(The Vikings are) a well-coached team overall and offensively a team that’s improving. I think Coach Zimmer’s done a great job"

Joe Philbin on Teddy Bridgewater: “I think he’s doing a really nice job. I really think he has very good presence and awareness back there’’

Joe Philbin on Teddy Bridgewater: “I like his poise back there and his ability to keep his focus where it needs to be."

Teddy Bridgewater: "It will be important to win these last two games to get back to .500 even if that's not where we set our goals at.''

Teddy Bridgewater on back to Miami: "I'm pretty loved back in Miami. A lot of people think I'm a role model there.''

Teddy Bridgewater says he doesn't know how many tickets will be handed out. His mom handles that.

Teddy Bridgewater says expectation level was higher this season than how Vikings are doing. But still shooting for .500.

Teddy Bridgewater thought he'd play one day at Sun Life: "As a child I had high dreams of playing in the National Football League.''

Teddy Bridgewater was a Dolphins fan: "I was a fan of all the Miami teams. I cheered for all the hometown teams.''

Teddy Bridgewater reiterated Brett Favre was his favorite quarterback growing up. Had first said that before Oct. 2 game at Green Bay.

Mike Zimmer said Vikings turning up heat indoors this week: "It'll be 80 degrees. Not sunny.''

Mike Zimmer was asked if harder to prepare for game in cold or heat. Doesn't really know.

Mike Zimmer on Blair Walsh: "I think Blair's really good.'' Says he's been good overall on 50-yarders.

Zimmer will continue to use Blair Walsh on the long field goals. Said he did think about punting on the 53-yarder.

Mike Zimmer not worried about Teddy pressing going back to Miami: "Teddy's really not that kind of guy, a show-off guy.''

Mike Zimmer's message for the final road game. Points to sign that reads "Tough Teams Win in the 4th Quarter.'' Must do better in fourth.

Mike Zimmer on adding Ahmad Dixon to roster: "I think he's a talented guy.''

Vikings sign rookie guard Jordan McCray to practice squad. Takes spot of Ahmad Dixon, who went to 53-man roster.

Our own @murphPPress reports Robert Blanton Anthony Barr Charlie Johnson not practicing today Linval Joseph not seen Sharrif Floyd on field
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Hope we lose out and finish fourth.
Need this week schedule again.
:smilevike:
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Demi wrote:Hope we lose out and finish fourth.
Need this week schedule again.
:smilevike:
I must say....I never root for my team to lose. No matter kind of year we are having
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri