Charles Johnson

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Charles Johnson

Post by PurpleMustReign »

dead_poet wrote:Charles Johnson - WR - Vikings

Charles Johnson will train with Brandon Marshall in Florida this offseason.

Following the Vikings-Bears game in November, Marshall came up to Johnson and called him "a baller." Marshall and Teddy Bridgewater worked out together in Florida last offseason, and Marshall told Bridgewater to invite Johnson this time around. Learning from one of the game's best in Marshall can do nothing but help Johnson.
Source: St. Paul Pioneer Press
http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_272 ... ure-baller
That's pretty cool. I don't know how many players train with Marshall, but the fact that Marshall sought him out is pretty neat. I am excited to see what Johnson can do in the future.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleMustReign wrote: That's pretty cool. I don't know how many players train with Marshall, but the fact that Marshall sought him out is pretty neat. I am excited to see what Johnson can do in the future.
Me too. If he somehow progresses into a legit threat with Patterson in the post-Jennings era, that'll be quite the steal by Rick. Frankly it already has been.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

That is awesome news!
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Charles Johnson will train with Brandon Marshall in Florida this offseason.

Following the Vikings-Bears game in November, Marshall came up to Johnson and called him "a baller." Marshall and Teddy Bridgewater worked out together in Florida last offseason, and Marshall told Bridgewater to invite Johnson this time around. Learning from one of the game's best in Marshall can do nothing but help Johnson.
Source: St. Paul Pioneer Press
http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_272 ... ure-baller
This is pretty exciting because it seems like Johnson's main weakness is catching contested balls, which Marshall is one of the best at. If Johnson can learn to catch some of those throws in traffic, he's going to be one heck of a weapon.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

S197 wrote: This is pretty exciting because it seems like Johnson's main weakness is catching contested balls, which Marshall is one of the best at. If Johnson can learn to catch some of those throws in traffic, he's going to be one heck of a weapon.
Maybe they could take CP along with them :thumbsup:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

S197 wrote: This is pretty exciting because it seems like Johnson's main weakness is catching contested balls, which Marshall is one of the best at. If Johnson can learn to catch some of those throws in traffic, he's going to be one heck of a weapon.
Nice point - if there is one gripe I had with Charles, it seemed like he never caught a pass under duress.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

brandon marshall is the man. after many mistakes early in his career he is turning his life around check out all the work for mental health his foundation does. he wore lime green to represent mental health awareness month last september, but was fined. and yet everyone is allowed to wear pink and you wonder why mental health is so stigmatized.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

frosted wrote:Nice point - if there is one gripe I had with Charles, it seemed like he never caught a pass under duress.
Or made much noise after the catch.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Charles Johnson - WR - Vikings

The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports ex-Browns OC Kyle Shanahan was "dismayed" when the team waived WR Charles Johnson in August.

Johnson's release was apparently part of the disconnect between Shanahan and the Browns' front office. Johnson was signed by the Vikings in September, eventually emerging as a starter and impact player. Vikings OC Norv Turner recently said Johnson was one of the reasons the team's offense was so much more potent down the stretch.
Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports ex-Browns OC Kyle Shanahan was "dismayed" when the team waived WR Charles Johnson in August.

Johnson's release was apparently part of the disconnect between Shanahan and the Browns' front office. Johnson was signed by the Vikings in September, eventually emerging as a starter and impact player. Vikings OC Norv Turner recently said Johnson was one of the reasons the team's offense was so much more potent down the stretch.
Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer
I'm glad we got him. I hope he continues to grow. :smilevike:
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

dead_poet wrote: Or made much noise after the catch.
Which was weird, given Johnson's speed. I hope Marshall can help him become better all the way around.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Charles Johnson - WR - Vikings

Vikings OC Norv Turner said Charles Johnson is "far and away our best receiver."

Turner added that he has high hopes for Johnson in 2015. The hype train keeps on picking up steam. Johnson is the clear favorite to be Teddy Bridgewater's starting X receiver in Turner's downfield passing attack. The Vikings averaged 24.0 points per game in six games with Johnson in the starting lineup down the stretch last season. If he and Brdigewater take another step forward, and the Vikings can get something out of Cordarrelle Patterdon in addition to the return of Adrian Peterson, Minnesota could be dangerous in 2015. Johnson has WR2 upside as a 26-year-old.
Source: ESPN Cleveland
http://espncleveland.com/common/more.ph ... t_id=42621
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Vikings OC Norv Turner said Charles Johnson is "far and away our best receiver."

Turner added that he has high hopes for Johnson in 2015. The hype train keeps on picking up steam. Johnson is the clear favorite to be Teddy Bridgewater's starting X receiver in Turner's downfield passing attack. The Vikings averaged 24.0 points per game in six games with Johnson in the starting lineup down the stretch last season.
I hate this kind of sloppy, misleading reporting. The implication is that the offense caught fire and started posting 24+ points per game during that final 6 game stretch. The truth is the offense only scored 24+ points in one of those 6 games, although they were just a point shy of that total against the Jets. The special teams scored 14 of the Vikings 31 points against Carolina. Hodges scored a TD on an INT against NY. The offense put up 21 against GB, 14 against DET and 13 against Chicago. The Miami game was the only on of the six where they were really on fire.

Johnson certainly helped bring some life to the offense for a while but "the hype train" should pull into the station.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

That's really solid analysis, Jim. Still, I think with the right side of our line intact and Peterson hopefully returning, our offense can be much more consistent. Also, with Johnson facing more run-oriented defenses, he could really find some space downfield.

Health, as always, will be the big key. But last season we all said we couldn't imagine our offense regressing, and if some of those big names on offense can return to form and Teddy can play as well as he did down the stretch, this squad could really surprise a lot of people.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

DKSweets wrote:That's really solid analysis, Jim.
Thanks. That same basic analysis is why some of the hype about Bridgewater down the stretch rubs me the wrong way. It's not that I wasn't excited to see him improve (I was) it's just that I keep seeing talk about how great his completion percentage was over the final 6 games and how great is YPA was in that stretch and while those numbers were good and that IS exciting, most of the time they didn't translate into particularly strong point production from the offense.

I just don't think the bar should be set too low. Bridgewater improved and Johnson helped the passing game but statistically, everyone seems to want to point to those final 6 games. I prefer to look at the final 7, since that represents the Vikings post-bye week performance last season. In those games, the offense scored 13, 21, 17, 23, 14, 35 and 13 points. They had their moments and were terrific against Miami but I hope we can all agree there's a lot of room for improvement when it comes to actually putting points on the board.
Still, I think with the right side of our line intact and Peterson hopefully returning, our offense can be much more consistent. Also, with Johnson facing more run-oriented defenses, he could really find some space downfield.
Yes and I would hope Peterson's presence would help open things up for Patterson as well.
Health, as always, will be the big key. But last season we all said we couldn't imagine our offense regressing, and if some of those big names on offense can return to form and Teddy can play as well as he did down the stretch, this squad could really surprise a lot of people.
They could but I think Norv may need to adjust what he's doing a little and they're going to need much better o-line play to achieve that consistency. You're obviously right about health too. I'm hoping this offseason will be good to the offense. :)