Blair Walsh

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Blair Walsh

Post by Crax »

Walsh is 1-6 in the last two games. I know he's got a big leg, but his accuracy has seemed pretty poor lately. I understand that 50+ isn't a gimmie, but he's missing them inside 50 as well. Overall on the season he is 22-31 which is 71%. Percentage wise, he is 32nd in the league(does include Gould who has only attempted 12 FG)
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats? ... fied=false

Time to look at other kickers this offseason for competition? I don't think we've ever even brought someone in to compete for the spot. Just figure it's a slump or was his first season the aberration? I know one of his knocks coming out of college was the accuracy.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Blair Walsh

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Slump.

Almost half his misses (4) are from 50+ yards, and he HAS made five from that distance. Another miss was yesterday's block, and there's no way of telling why that occurred. The four misses from 30-49 yards are troubling, but I'm not that worried.

Am I disappointed about yesterday? Sure. Is it a bit troubling that he's had a couple of shanks from over 50 the past two weeks? No doubt. But I think he'll right the ship.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I wouldn't mind seeing some competition on the 90-man roster, but I haven't hit full panic mode yet.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

DKSweets wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing some competition on the 90-man roster, but I haven't hit full panic mode yet.
That's where I am as well. Maybe I missed it, but have we brought in any other kickers during the offseason recently(punting or FG)? I'm not saying we should pull the plug on Walsh, but make sure he's earning his job.
I
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Slump.

Almost half his misses (4) are from 50+ yards, and he HAS made five from that distance. Another miss was yesterday's block, and there's no way of telling why that occurred. The four misses from 30-49 yards are troubling, but I'm not that worried.

Am I disappointed about yesterday? Sure. Is it a bit troubling that he's had a couple of shanks from over 50 the past two weeks? No doubt. But I think he'll right the ship.
I feel the same way. I'd feel a lot more concerned if 4 of the 6 recent misses weren't a block and 3 attempts from 50+ yards (one from nearly 70). I think Walsh will be fine. He's certainly having a down year but I expect him to bounce back.
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

Hey now, Walsh is still a fine kicker. That 68 yard attempt wasn't actually that far off.
This space available for rent.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

No reason to panic unless this problem persists. He has been great for 2.5 years, so right now I think he can get the benefit of the doubt and we can call it just a slump until he gives reason to believe otherwise.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

PurpleHalo wrote:Hey now, Walsh is still a fine kicker. That 68 yard attempt wasn't actually that far off.
Did it fall short or go to the side? They never showed a replay in the game broadcast.
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

720pete wrote: Did it fall short or go to the side? They never showed a replay in the game broadcast.
It was a little of both I think, but not 100% sure. I just know to the eye, it wasn't too far off.

Partly short because of how low he would have had to kick it, and slightly off to the left.

I could be wrong, maybe one of the 2 elements were there to make it, and it's hard to get proper depth perception on TV as far as distance.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Yeah, it looked about 5 yards too short, but it was hard to tell. Helluva effort though.
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

PacificNorseWest wrote:Yeah, it looked about 5 yards too short, but it was hard to tell. Helluva effort though.
That delay of game was a killer, if your assessment is correct.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I'm not worried at all. He's been one of the better kickers since coming into the NFL. I think it's just a little slump. Either way it doesn't worry me
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

He hasn't been a good kicker in 2 years. This year, he isn't even average. But he is getting paid the big boy money. There is a reason to be worried. A lot of us are worried about Kalil, and hes in his 3rd year. Wlash had as much to do with us losing that game, indoors, as anyone, maybe more. Did you notice the Lions kicker had no problems? And Walsh is supposed to be an elite kicker.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

How could you NOT expect Walsh to be a bit worse this year...he is now a kicker on a team that plays outside in MN.
Of course his numbers are gonna slip. I wouldnt pull the plug on him yet. I expect a good bounce back after this off season BUT he will still be outside for much of next year so his kicks are not going to be as predictable as in the past. Thats just life when you play outdoors folks......us old fogies remember it well.......
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

chicagopurple wrote:How could you NOT expect Walsh to be a bit worse this year...he is now a kicker on a team that plays outside in MN.
Of course his numbers are gonna slip. I wouldnt pull the plug on him yet. I expect a good bounce back after this off season BUT he will still be outside for much of next year so his kicks are not going to be as predictable as in the past. Thats just life when you play outdoors folks......us old fogies remember it well.......
He didn't make a single FG in yesterdays indoor game.

Crosby is 24 of 27. Its just as bad playing in GB as it has been at TCF this year. Im also not a big fan of Loche. Either punting the ball, or holding or a FG.