Hodges: "I want to be a feared playmaker."

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

frosted
Career Elite Player

Hodges: "I want to be a feared playmaker."

Post by frosted »

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/I_wa ... says121214
Gerald Hodges leapt from out of his chair, joking with veterans and rookies alike during downtime in the Vikings' locker room on Friday. Even if you weren't looking, you could hear him; if you weren't looking closely, the gold covering his bottom row of teeth gave away the source of jovial commotion.

Hodges, 23, is situated, and part of, the most boisterous corner of the Vikings' locker room. His friendship with former Vikings safety Jamarca Sanford helped expose the (on- and off-field) personality in Hodges, while a refocused mindset, he says, has earned him spot starts when injuries held Chad Greenway and Anthony Barr out. He's primed for his fifth career start on Sunday in Detroit as Barr (knee) is officially out for the second-straight game.

After picking off Geno Smith for his first NFL interception, taking the one-handed grab 27 yards for his 'first ever' score, Hodges says his new goal is to make himself impossible to ignore on the field.

"I want to be a known playmaker," Hodges said. "Not just here, but all through the NFL. I want to be a feared playmaker."
More at the link.

How can you not love this dude's talent? He's going to be a tremendous player for us, mark my words.
jackal
Strong Safety

Re: Hodges: "I want to be a feared playmaker."

Post by jackal »

I will be honest I wasn't really up on Hodges to begin with.. Partially, because of wanting Audie Cole and Mike Mauti, to become studs for
us. I love the underdog makes good story. I guess I was not really short, compared to some, but my dad was 6'1 and a cop. So I root for the
long shot guys.

Hodges got it done on Sunday with the pick six. I love a defense that can pull the other teams heart out, with big plays.

I give the Jets credit, they played and did not give up; there season has been over for a long time, I admire that.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

frosted wrote:How can you not love this dude's talent? He's going to be a tremendous player for us, mark my words.
I definitely think he offers a great deal of upside. I'm wondering if the Vikes will part ways with Chad Greenway after the season or ask him to renegotiate and accept a reduced role, with Hodges moving into that starting OLB spot.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote: I definitely think he offers a great deal of upside. I'm wondering if the Vikes will part ways with Chad Greenway after the season or ask him to renegotiate and accept a reduced role, with Hodges moving into that starting OLB spot.

It certainly is a possibility. If Barr is on one side and Hodges on the other, they'll cover a lot of ground.

Of course, the team will still need a flexible MLB as well.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:It certainly is a possibility. If Barr is on one side and Hodges on the other, they'll cover a lot of ground.

Of course, the team will still need a flexible MLB as well.
Like Gumby or Stretch Armstrong? Image
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote: Like Gumby or Stretch Armstrong? Image
It's okay, folks. Once Jim watches the Saturday morning cartoons, he'll be fine.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Mothman wrote: I definitely think he offers a great deal of upside. I'm wondering if the Vikes will part ways with Chad Greenway after the season or ask him to renegotiate and accept a reduced role, with Hodges moving into that starting OLB spot.
I'm thinking that is probably what will happen with Chad - maybe we'll cut him lose, but I think Zimmer likes him, and would prefer to bring him back if possible.

I have been meaning to post them all week, just have to upload the pictures to photobucket, but I took some screen shots from the coaches film earlier this week.

Hodges is a stud, guys. He knows what to do when he's on a football field..it's nice.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:It's okay, folks. Once Jim watches the Saturday morning cartoons, he'll be fine.
:rofl: I DO like cartoons...
frosted wrote:I'm thinking that is probably what will happen with Chad - maybe we'll cut him lose, but I think Zimmer likes him, and would prefer to bring him back if possible.

I have been meaning to post them all week, just have to upload the pictures to photobucket, but I took some screen shots from the coaches film earlier this week.

Hodges is a stud, guys. He knows what to do when he's on a football field..it's nice.
I look forward to seeing those pics!

I thought Hodges was a good pick coming out of Penn State but like many rookies, a guy who might need a little "seasoning" in the pros. It's nice to see some defensive players stepping up in their second year. I definitely feel like the arrow is pointing up with both hodges and the Vikes defense as a whole.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I feel like they would however, Greenway is a great vet to have and Zimmer seems to be a big fan. I wouldn't mind holding onto him if he took a pay cut. If not, I say let him walk. Only thing is, we have no real veteran leader for that LB group with Chad gone. Unless we signed a guy like KJ Wright
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Chad doesn't even seem like that big of a leader. And with his play where it is, time to cut bait. We can get just as much production out of a young guy, for less pay, and more of an upside. Let him walk and get a young guy in there! :smilevike:
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Demi wrote:Chad doesn't even seem like that big of a leader.
Not sure where you get this from????
And with his play where it is, time to cut bait. We can get just as much production out of a young guy, for less pay, and more of an upside. Let him walk and get a young guy in there! :smilevike:
I'm fine with getting the young guy in there. It's just nice to have veteran leadership too
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

I was pushing for Hodges last year. I have been pushing for him this year. As much as I have admired Chad Greenway, it is time to move on. It pains me to say that as a native South Dakotan, a Iowa Hawkeye, and a die-hard Vikings fan. Hodges has the ability to become an above-avearge outside linebacker.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:I was pushing for Hodges last year. I have been pushing for him this year. As much as I have admired Chad Greenway, it is time to move on. It pains me to say that as a native South Dakotan, a Iowa Hawkeye, and a die-hard Vikings fan. Hodges has the ability to become an above-avearge outside linebacker.
Think of it as passing the torch . :v): Hodges was a Hawkeye as well, right? So maybe not exactly but 2 outta 3 ain't bad.
The LB spot has been a sore spot for me for a couple years now. If Hodges is ready to go, get him out there and let him prove his moxy. If he is going to be above average, he should have been out there at the beginning of the year.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

CbusVikesFan wrote: Think of it as passing the torch . :v): Hodges was a Hawkeye as well, right? So maybe not exactly but 2 outta 3 ain't bad.
The LB spot has been a sore spot for me for a couple years now. If Hodges is ready to go, get him out there and let him prove his moxy. If he is going to be above average, he should have been out there at the beginning of the year.
No Hodges went to Penn State
-Chazz Palminteri
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

My bad. :wallbang:
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter