Question for the game

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Megatron
Rookie

Question for the game

Post by Megatron »

Lions fan here. I haven't followed your team at all since our last meeting, I've just hoped you guys would push the bears to the bottom of the division. How has your team changed since we last met? I did just read on another Vikings forum that you have 3 starting Olinemen hurt, and one of the two healthy ones is Kalil? If that's true, it couldn't be a worse week for you guys to be hurting there. Is your offense doing better, WRs? Bridgewater has put some good games up hasn't he?
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Question for the game

Post by Purple Reign »

Teddy is improving and Charles Johnson has stepped up as his main wide receiver. Yes, our o-line is hurting as we lost another during the game yesterday (Charlie Johnson - ankle) - don't know how bad it is or how long he may be out. But I think the Vikings will put up a much better fight than the first meeting.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Purple Reign's assessment is correct. The Vikings OL is battered silly, having lost several players and probably its best one in Fusco.

Bridgewater and much of the team are young, including the defense, and are still learning their craft. What's cool is that there is talent there, but it mostly needs developing.

The Vikings are currently not on the same level as the Lions.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

The Vikings' pass defense is improving rapidly. This is an even better defensive football team than the one that held the Lions to 17 points and 255 yards of total offense.

Expect a healthy dose of Xavier Rhodes on Megatron. Rhodes has turned into a true shutdown corner in his second season out of Florida State. Nobody has done much of anything against him for the past six weeks ... PFF has him rated as the third-best CB in the league during that span. Not even Jordy Nelson did much against him a couple of weeks ago. I'm not going to sit here and say he'll shut down Megatron, but it will be an interesting battle to watch, and Xavier will win his share of battles.

However, we do have some injuries on the defensive side of the ball that could impact the Vikings Sunday against the Lions. Rookie LB Anthony Barr missed Sunday's game against the Jets with a knee injury. I've read there's no structural damage, just something nagging he's been dealing with. Don't know if he'll suit up against the Lions. Second-year DT Sharif Floyd, who has really turned into a force on the D-line, has been in and out of the lineup with an unspecified knee injury, as well. He came out of the game against the Jets in the first half and didn't return. His status for the Lions is uncertain. Our rush defense hasn't been the best lately, but except for the Packers game, we've been able to overcome that. I don't see the Lions as a great rushing team, anyway, with all due respect to Joique Bell.

Our offense, while not reminding anybody of the 1998 Vikings, is better than the first time you guys played us. The O-line is banged up, but honestly, the fact that it isn't a huge step down to our backups tells you how suspect our starters were/are. Here are the big differences from the first game ...

1. Teddy Bridgewater is a much better NFL quarterback than he was back in October. Of this, there is little doubt. He's making quicker decisions, he's making stronger throws, and he is showing excellent poise even when the rush is heavy. He's also taking care of the ball, having thrown 9 TDs to 3 INTs in his past 6 games, and two of those INTs were hail-marys at the end of halves. He's now 5-4 as a starter, easily the best rookie record at QB in the NFL this year.

2. Charles Johnson has emerged as a legitimate threat at wideout. Over his past four games, Johnson has caught 15 passes for an 18.7-yard average and a pair of TDs. He has legit 4.3 speed and nice size at 6-2, 215. He's a 2013 7th-round draft pick of the Packers out of a small school (Grand Valley State), claimed off Cleveland's practice squad, so he's still got a ways to go as far as being a polished receiver. But he definitely has talent and is getting better every week, having replaced none other than the much-hyped Cordarrelle Patterson at wideout. Patterson played just three snaps against the Panthers and very few against the Jets, hauling in no passes in those two games and carrying just once for six yards. Johnson has stolen his spot right out from under him -- honestly, that's good for the Vikings and bad for you guys. Patterson was an easy cover in October. Johnson will not be.

3. Kyle Rudolph is back. Rudolph missed the game against the Lions back in October, but he's back now, giving Teddy a legitimate target over the middle.

Obviously, the Lions will be the prohibitive favorites in this game. But don't expect a blowout. Zimmer's team is not going to lay down. In fact, while I won't predict an upset, I will say I won't be surprised by one.

BONUS X-FACTOR: Adrian Peterson
We do not know the status of AP, whose appeal is expected to be decided upon within the next day or two. There is a chance -- granted, not a great chance, but a chance -- that he could suit up this week. If that happens, all bets are off. Obviously, he's a threat to take it to the house whenever he carries the ball. But simply having AP on the field should provide enough of a threat to help open up the passing game for the rapidly maturing Bridgewater.
Last edited by J. Kapp 11 on Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

The Lions look tough without a doubt ...

I don't use winning this game without Peterson or you guys turning the ball over some..
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:The Vikings' pass defense is improving rapidly. This is an even better defensive football team than the one that held the Lions to 17 points and 255 yards of total offense.
I agree with almost everything you posted, but the Lions offense with Megatron and Reggie Bush back in the lineup won't be the same unit, either...
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

DKSweets wrote:I agree with almost everything you posted, but the Lions offense with Megatron and Reggie Bush back in the lineup won't be the same unit, either...
That is a very good point. I think the improvement in our defense and the improvement in the Lion's offense with Megatron and Bush is pretty much a wash. But I think our offense will definitely play better than in the first game.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

DKSweets wrote:I agree with almost everything you posted, but the Lions offense with Megatron and Reggie Bush back in the lineup won't be the same unit, either...
Well, there you go.

Only game I've missed in two years. Was out of town on business and no way to watch.

Didn't even realize those two missed the first meeting.

Duh.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.