Rhodes to Greatness

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Re: Rhodes to Greatness

Post by DK Sweets »

If we assume that Griffen and Rhodes are equally as good, I would disagree that the 2nd DE is more important than the 2nd CB. It's harder for a CB to shut down his man than it is for a DE to beat a 1-on-1.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

kurtkeoki wrote:What you guys said about two corners makes sense. As a followup, and to elaborate on my original questions: Is CB one of the places where a team can overcome having an average player, if the other CB is great? For instance, if you have one great CB, where does another CB rate on the priority list for a team that runs the Vikings scheme? My initial thought was that it wasn't as big a priority as, say, MLB or DE. In the case of DE, Griffen will often get doubled leaving the other DE 1v1 against a tackle. A great DE can win that battle, so having a great DE on one end actually means having a great one on the other end is more important.

It depends on the scheme.

In the Cover-2, if you have a great zone guy, your other corner doesn't necessarily have to be elite. In fact, it is the safety play that really defines a Cover-2 defense. Along with a consistent front four pass rush that is.

In our new defensive scheme, having a field general safety (Harrison Smith) and two above-average cover corners is a must. Especially when w bring seven on a blitz, which leaves four to cover. Or when we bring six and leave five to cover. Having a great front four is still key, but really, corners have a higher priority in our new defensive scheme as opposed to the old one.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:
It depends on the scheme.

In the Cover-2, if you have a great zone guy, your other corner doesn't necessarily have to be elite. In fact, it is the safety play that really defines a Cover-2 defense. Along with a consistent front four pass rush that is.

In our new defensive scheme, having a field general safety (Harrison Smith) and two above-average cover corners is a must. Especially when w bring seven on a blitz, which leaves four to cover. Or when we bring six and leave five to cover. Having a great front four is still key, but really, corners have a higher priority in our new defensive scheme as opposed to the old one.
Exactly what I am thinking. I think our 3 main concerns, with the draft and FA should be WR, CB, and then OT/G. Somewhere a DE would be nice, but not till later. I wonder if the coaches have thought anymore about Greenway playing MIKE if he does come back. This conversation comes up every year, but I think he would make an ok MIKE till one of the young guys can. I don't want to see Jasper on the team again.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Another solid effort today from Rhodes. Calvin Johnson ended up with just 4 receptions for 53 yards, going mostly against Xavier, who was also battling a wrist injury.

I think we've got ourselves a keeper.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Great player.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I'm a A.M. Fan (after Moss). When was the last time we had a corner who was this good?
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

DKSweets wrote:I'm a A.M. Fan (after Moss). When was the last time we had a corner who was this good?
Denny Green had some great secondary players when he first started. Audrey McMillan was really good. I would guess at that time.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

I'd say the last time the Vikings had a corner as good as Rhodes is playing now was Winfield in his prime. They differ in size and they playa somewhat different style of game but Winfield was an impact player, no doubt about it. Other than Winfield, we might have to go all the way back to Carl Lee in the late '80s and early '90s to find a Vikings corner playing as well as Rhodes has been playing lately.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Mothman wrote:I'd say the last time the Vikings had a corner as good as Rhodes is playing now was Winfield in his prime. They differ in size and they playa somewhat different style of game but Winfield was an impact player, no doubt about it. Other than Winfield, we might have to go all the way back to Carl Lee in the late '80s and early '90s to find a Vikings corner playing as well as Rhodes has been playing lately.
I love Winfield and agree that he was most definitely an impact player, but I don't think he was ever the type of shut down cover guy that Rhodes is becoming. I have a few Vikings-49ers matchups from the late 80s, so I'll have to watch for Lee the best that I can.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote:I'd say the last time the Vikings had a corner as good as Rhodes is playing now was Winfield in his prime. They differ in size and they playa somewhat different style of game but Winfield was an impact player, no doubt about it. Other than Winfield, we might have to go all the way back to Carl Lee in the late '80s and early '90s to find a Vikings corner playing as well as Rhodes has been playing lately.
Lee was here for Greens first few seasons right? I cant remember who else Denny had in those first few years.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

DKSweets wrote:love Winfield and agree that he was most definitely an impact player, but I don't think he was ever the type of shut down cover guy that Rhodes is becoming.
I know what you mean. That's why I mentioned their differences. I think the answer to the question "When was the last time we had a corner who was this good?" is Antoine Winfield. However, I think the answer to "When was the last time we had a corner who could cover like Rhodes?" might be Carl Lee.
I have a few Vikings-49ers matchups from the late 80s, so I'll have to watch for Lee the best that I can.
He was good, although the 49ers were never a very good matchup for the Vikes so I don't know if you have the best examples. :)
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Any shutdown corner on the Vikings would probably have been before my time or when I was really really young. They're so rare and hard to find. I wouldn't be surprised if it's been 20 or so years since they had one.
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Another solid effort today from Rhodes. Calvin Johnson ended up with just 4 receptions for 53 yards, going mostly against Xavier, who was also battling a wrist injury.

I think we've got ourselves a keeper.
We saw these signs last year, and he is looking even more solid under Zimmer, who likes to work with his DBs personally.
This space available for rent.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Snippet from a blog entry by Ben Goessling:
Xavier vs. Megatron: For the most part, the Vikings matched up emerging cornerback Xavier Rhodes with Lions receiver Calvin Johnson, a departure from what the Vikings have done under Zimmer this season. Zimmer said he informed Rhodes last Monday that he planned to match him up with Johnson for most of the game. The Vikings typically haven't matched up in Zimmer's first season, but he said: "It's good to be able to have a guy that feels comfortable. I called him on Monday and said, 'I need you to go with this guy this week.' He said, 'I'm ready.'"

Rhodes, who got some safety help, limited Johnson to one catch in the first half. Johnson finished with four receptions for 53 yards, with a long of 23 yards.
http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikin ... lair-walsh
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 82241.html

Rhodes proves up to the challenge vs. Megatron
In the locker room after the game, Rhodes was handed a stat sheet from the game. He winced.

“Man,” he said. “I had it as a goal to hold him under 50 yards. He got 53.”

Nearby, linebacker Chad Greenway didn’t need long to answer when asked if he had seen another Vikings cornerback shadow a No. 1 receiver before.

“I’ve been here since ’06 and it’s the first time for me,” he said. “The plan all week was to give Xavier the opportunity and trust that it would be good for our defense. And it was. He’s as good a cover corner as there is in the league.”

Overall, the Vikings held Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford to 153 yards passing. That’s Stafford’s season low and his second-fewest passing yards in a full game since the end of the 2009 season.

When the Vikings led 14-0, the Lions had zero first downs. And they wouldn’t register a first down until the 8:54 mark of the second quarter.

“We were chit-chatting back and forth on the field,” Rhodes said. “He’s a great player. I’ve been doing good this year and he just noticed it.”