Rhodes to Greatness

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Rhodes to Greatness

Post by Mothman »

Enough! If anybody wants to continue discussing Mariota, please make a thread about him in the Draft section of the board and discuss him there. This thread is supposed to be about Rhodes and it's time to get it back on topic.

Speaking of that, 808vikingsfan, I like your proposed nickname for him.
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 84BreaksAnkles »

I've been saying it all year, Xavier and Harrison can be great players.

Josh robinson may one day become a decent nickel guy. He's actually close to becoming a solid #3 CB

Captain Munnerlynn, has done little more than disappoint me all year. He has been timid in the run game. He has done, imo, a terrible job covering short intermediate quick routes as the main Nickel Guy...(Even though he's a starter). Captain has repeatedly gotten beat deep this year as well. Misses tackles etc. I would like a good replacement for him.

I really like the limited bits I saw from Jabari, and Exum Jr... Good depth guys at least. Jabari seems like he has potential.

There is a good class of Safeties this year. Robert Blanton is a solid back-up. But we need another SERIOUS playmaker back there alongside Harrison.

If we can maybe make a good snag this year in FA (Buster Skrine??? , Chris Harris ???) and draft a playmaking safety (3rd round latest)
There are SO MANY GOOD S's and CB's this year..

Guys go check out Landon Collins or Ifo Ekpre-Olomu... So many studs this year..

We could have one of the best Secondaries in the league in 1-2 years...
Please just watch(04:39-05:18):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxXCuSyj18M&t=4m39s
This is a dog.
Compare that to this guy (00:46-01:01):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar3ioQywcAc&t=0m45s
"It's ok to hit the bag"
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

808vikingsfan wrote:Rhodes Island?

Love it! :rock:
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

losperros wrote:
Love it! :rock:
Any problem with a patent infringement from Rhode Island :lol: I love that handle for him :thumbsup:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

Personally I like Rhodes Scholar, because he just schools the competition, but I could get used to Rhodes Island.

:thumbsup:
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Why not X-man?
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Rhodes is one of our best players, on either side of the ball. I don't know if finally having some coaches that know what they are doing, or if maybe the refs aernt throwing a flag every time a ball is thrown his way, but the QBs are not throwing many Rhodes way. But then, why would they. Josh is so bad, they have at least a 3 times better chance throwing his way. I find it funny so many think Blanton is so bad, but Josh is improving? Blanton has been solid. Not good, will never make a pro bowl, but pretty solid. Josh is rarely near making a play. He looks like he relies on his speed to catch up to the play, but doesn't know how to turn to the ball yet.

Anyways Rhodes is better then expected, at least for me.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Rhodes is one of our best players, on either side of the ball. I don't know if finally having some coaches that know what they are doing, or if maybe the refs aernt throwing a flag every time a ball is thrown his way, but the QBs are not throwing many Rhodes way. But then, why would they. Josh is so bad, they have at least a 3 times better chance throwing his way. I find it funny so many think Blanton is so bad, but Josh is improving? Blanton has been solid. Not good, will never make a pro bowl, but pretty solid. Josh is rarely near making a play. He looks like he relies on his speed to catch up to the play, but doesn't know how to turn to the ball yet.

Robinson isn't improving, he was improving. Ever since the Bears game he has been playing very poorly. Before that game he was holding his own as a solid starter in this league. I think his confidence took a huge hit against the Bears and Zimmer even mentioned today in his press conference
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Rhodes is one of our best players, on either side of the ball. I don't know if finally having some coaches that know what they are doing, or if maybe the refs aernt throwing a flag every time a ball is thrown his way, but the QBs are not throwing many Rhodes way. But then, why would they. Josh is so bad, they have at least a 3 times better chance throwing his way. I find it funny so many think Blanton is so bad, but Josh is improving? Blanton has been solid. Not good, will never make a pro bowl, but pretty solid. Josh is rarely near making a play. He looks like he relies on his speed to catch up to the play, but doesn't know how to turn to the ball yet.

To be honest, I agree about Rhodes. Same with Blanton. I wasn't big on Blanton in the beginning of the year but he has done a decent job. I wouldn't mind if we kept him as our starting SS next year. Maybe bring in another guy to compete with him. But I don't see SS as a big need like I originally thought it would be.

As for Robinson, I think he makes a solid #4 CB. Have Rhodes and another physical corner on the outside, Munnerlyn in the slot and Josh as a #4. The thing with Josh is he has been VERY inconsistent. There are times where he makes some good plays but definitely is not starting material. We should definitely give him another shot next year under Zimmer but only as a #4. However, this is a big reason why I said it isn't out of the question to draft another CB early (Between rounds 1-2, maybe 3). Imagine another Rhodes type player on the outside. This defense could benefit tremendously because then opposing QBs have to pick there poison with who to throw to.

Granted, our biggest need is offense and thats what I would like to see in the early rounds but another big outside CB is a bigger need than some think. I really want free agency to get here because we will all have a much better tell on what direction Spielman and Zimmer will be going come draft day. I'm really interested to see what our "big splash(es)" will be in FA. Will they go CB?? MLB?? WR?? OL?? Who knows. I can't see them going offensive line in free agency simply because we have heftier contracts in Sully, Fusco and Phil. Maybe some depth signings but thats it.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: To be honest, I agree about Rhodes. Same with Blanton. I wasn't big on Blanton in the beginning of the year but he has done a decent job. I wouldn't mind if we kept him as our starting SS next year. Maybe bring in another guy to compete with him. But I don't see SS as a big need like I originally thought it would be.

As for Robinson, I think he makes a solid #4 CB. Have Rhodes and another physical corner on the outside, Munnerlyn in the slot and Josh as a #4. The thing with Josh is he has been VERY inconsistent. There are times where he makes some good plays but definitely is not starting material. We should definitely give him another shot next year under Zimmer but only as a #4. However, this is a big reason why I said it isn't out of the question to draft another CB early (Between rounds 1-2, maybe 3). Imagine another Rhodes type player on the outside. This defense could benefit tremendously because then opposing QBs have to pick there poison with who to throw to.

Granted, our biggest need is offense and thats what I would like to see in the early rounds but another big outside CB is a bigger need than some think. I really want free agency to get here because we will all have a much better tell on what direction Spielman and Zimmer will be going come draft day. I'm really interested to see what our "big splash(es)" will be in FA. Will they go CB?? MLB?? WR?? OL?? Who knows. I can't see them going offensive line in free agency simply because we have heftier contracts in Sully, Fusco and Phil. Maybe some depth signings but thats it.
A WR with the first pick is a must for me. Unless we can get one of the big 3 I like for sure. And I know I am one of the the few, but if we had to pass on Cooper, and yet got Parker, I wouldn't be all that mad. Sounds like something Rick could do.

I also agree (or think) a CB is a must. More then a MLB. I just cant believe we cant do better with the LBs we have. I don't think Greenway will be here, unless he takes a HUGE paycut, which he might. I just cant understand why Hodges or Cole cant start working the Mike, esp. now we are out of it.

I think this coaching staff is for real (with the possible exception Davidson and the WR coach). Another good CB would make the biggest difference in our D. Now is the time to let the young LBs get serious experience.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: A WR with the first pick is a must for me. Unless we can get one of the big 3 I like for sure. And I know I am one of the the few, but if we had to pass on Cooper, and yet got Parker, I wouldn't be all that mad. Sounds like something Rick could do.

I also agree (or think) a CB is a must. More then a MLB. I just cant believe we cant do better with the LBs we have. I don't think Greenway will be here, unless he takes a HUGE paycut, which he might. I just cant understand why Hodges or Cole cant start working the Mike, esp. now we are out of it.

I think this coaching staff is for real (with the possible exception Davidson and the WR coach). Another good CB would make the biggest difference in our D. Now is the time to let the young LBs get serious experience.
I wouldn't mind if we passed on Cooper and took Parker later in the first. Even though Cooper is a beast and is quite possibly the best route runner in college football.

As for LB, Zimmer has mentioned before that he likes that athleticism on the outside and wants guys that can run sideline to sideline to make tackles. Those are the roles that Barr and Hodges fit. What I don't understand is why they don't put Greenway there. He is a tackling machine and the MLB position doesn't require as much coverage but more run stopping. I saw our best options hands down are Barr as SLB, Greenway at MLB and Hodges at WLB

As for the coaches, yes I do love this staff, especially Zimmer. I think it's time to let Davidson walk. However, our WR coach, George Stewart, has been with us for 8 years. I think he has done a decent job. I wouldn't mind holding onto him
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

RE: Greenway at MIKE .. I suspect a big reason we won't be seeing that is Greenway's inability to free himself from blocks and flow to the football. He tends to get washed out when offensive lineman are able to get to the 2nd level and engage him. If he's allowed to work freely in space, he can be OK, but he gives up a lot of size and strength to Brinkley for example. Jasper, for all his faults as a coverage player, is much bigger and stronger, and is able to take on and shed blocks more efficiently. I'm still of the opinion that we need to upgrade at that position this offseason, but I do believe Brinkley is much better suited to play it in the interim than Greenway is.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

saint33 wrote:Robinson isn't improving, he was improving. Ever since the Bears game he has been playing very poorly. Before that game he was holding his own as a solid starter in this league. I think his confidence took a huge hit against the Bears and Zimmer even mentioned today in his press conference

I agree about Robinson's confidence being damaged against the Bears. Who knows? If he can straighten that out, then he may start improving again.

I certainly hope the Vikings don't give up on him. He has plenty of talent. Robinson needs to get his head back into the game.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

With the exception of Harvin's TD, I actually thought Robinson played a good game on Sunday. :confused:
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I don't like Harvin at all but man the guy has a motor on him ..

too bad the guy is such a jerk...

Josh had some good plays .. I saw a few missed tackles again..

That is starting to concern me ... Good teams don't have those kids of issues
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!