Rhodes to Greatness

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Rhodes to Greatness

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

This is one sweet video. Check it out :rock:

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/vide ... 461336882c

Couldn't be happier that we have found a shut down CB like Rhodes. The improvement he has made this year has been awesome to watch. Zimmer's scheme and coaching has worked wonders for this kid
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
sneaxsneax
Veteran

Re: Rhodes to Greatness

Post by sneaxsneax »

Part of me thinks his performance is due to him not bring tried very much given the weakness on the other side of the field.

Rhodes is a good corner, but it's not like he is Revis island.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

sneaxsneax wrote:Part of me thinks his performance is due to him not bring tried very much given the weakness on the other side of the field.

Rhodes is a good corner, but it's not like he is Revis island.
He actually has 14 passes defended....he has the same amount as Revis does, 14. Not saying he is Revis by any means but he is definitely being tried enough. He's been on his guys like glue most of this season.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

He's definitely looked like a top 5-10 corner this year. Seems like once he was allowed to be physical and play more man his play improved. Maybe mentally it's just easier to handle? Who knows but nice to see this team not only get younger, but have some players really step up under Zimmer. The Dline (well 3/4s of it), the secondary. Not much to work with at linebacker but seems to be making it work better than it had been. With even more talent likely to come in through free agency and the draft in the next year or two this looks like it could easily end up being a top half of the league defense for the next decade.

Too bad the offense can't say the same. Despite the investment that's in place. Including at offensive coordinator. Maybe when they're healthy it will be different, but I'm not holding my breath!

Back to Rhodes, man he's been all over his guy, and not blowing the plays he was early on when he's be in great position and just watch the completion happen!
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Although he gave up that 4th down TD pass last week, Robinson's stats are impressive as well. 7 PD with 3 INTs.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

The Vikes might be set at CB for a long time. :)
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

I'm thrilled to see Rhodes getting better by the day. I've been a fan of his since he played for the Seminoles.

A lot of the progress Rhodes has made is due to experience and NFL coaching. He was a top DB in college, but that's a different kind of football.

This is what happens when a team is patient and develops someone with real talent.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

losperros wrote:I'm thrilled to see Rhodes getting better by the day. I've been a fan of his since he played for the Seminoles.

A lot of the progress Rhodes has made is due to experience and NFL coaching. He was a top DB in college, but that's a different kind of football.

This is what happens when a team is patient and develops someone with real talent.
Exactly right. He was too "hands on" last year and now he has learned to avoid those costly penalties and play the position like a true NFL shutdown corner back.

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

808vikingsfan wrote:Although he gave up that 4th down TD pass last week, Robinson's stats are impressive as well. 7 PD with 3 INTs.
Seems like he's the one usually getting beat for those big plays though. He's definitely improved but can this team really afford to say they're set and not consider another corner to start across from Rhodes? Especially with the division what it is.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Demi wrote: Seems like he's the one usually getting beat for those big plays though. He's definitely improved but can this team really afford to say they're set and not consider another corner to start across from Rhodes? Especially with the division what it is.
No I 100% believe they will either draft a CB between rounds 1-3 or snag one in FA. However, Robinson would definitely be a solid #4 CB to have.
-Chazz Palminteri
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: No I 100% believe they will either draft a CB between rounds 1-3 or snag one in FA. However, Robinson would definitely be a solid #4 CB to have.
Do you really think that they would spend a 1st round pick on a corner :?: Seems very unlikely to me.

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PB, I wouldn't necessarily rule it out. It's still a need and if they are going BPA and a CB is at the top of their board, how do you not take it. Just curious, how does drafting a CB in the 1st seem unlikely to you when it's a need but drafting a QB in the 1st is okay when it's not a need?? I'll tell you right now I would take a first round CB any day over Mariota and it's also more likely for us to take a CB vs a QB in the 1st. Drafting a CB fills a hole. Drafting Mariota does nothing but create a QB controversy, media trap, unnecessary competition, delays their development, etc. But yeah, drafting a CB in the first is much more realistic than drafting Mariota
-Chazz Palminteri
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:PB, I wouldn't necessarily rule it out. It's still a need and if they are going BPA and a CB is at the top of their board, how do you not take it. Just curious, how does drafting a CB in the 1st seem unlikely to you when it's a need but drafting a QB in the 1st is okay when it's not a need?? I'll tell you right now I would take a first round CB any day over Mariota and it's also more likely for us to take a CB vs a QB in the 1st. Drafting a CB fills a hole. Drafting Mariota does nothing but create a QB controversy, media trap, unnecessary competition, delays their development, etc. But yeah, drafting a CB in the first is much more realistic than drafting Mariota
I thought that we had agreed to disagree about Mariota. But since you brought it up I will tell you again that he is just not some QB IMO and thousands of others would agree. He has greatness written all over him and has proved it over and over and keeps on proving it. Size, arm strength, accuracy and superior mobility, every quality a top notch QB could hope to have. It would be insane if he was available and the Vikes did not draft him. But do not worry he will be long gone before the Vikes draft number is called. He will be in the top 5 selections and take that to the bank. This year alone, 38 tds. and only 2 interceptions with a rating of 186.3 with 10125 yds in less than three full seasons and 101 tds to 12 ints.. Are you kidding me :shock:
Now getting back to corner back. Drafting one in round 1 seems ridiculous. I am not saying that the Vikes do not need another talented cb but to me o-line is the most glaring weakness on this team by far and next would be a stud MLB. Time will tell which of us are correct and in the meantime we can continue "debating" it I guess :wink:

Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Mariota? No thanks. Great college QB but no way he translates it into the NFL. Same goes for that dunderhead Jameis Winston. I wouldn't draft either of them. There are a number of positions this team needs. And corner is one of them. Forget Robinson, world's greatest slot midget has been a waste of a pay check. Need a third down? Throw it at him. (or like BRob PFF probably has him with the 3rd best rating versus or something...). With all the multi-receiver sets teams are running, and injuries, you can never have enough corners. I don't think it'd be a bad thing if wherever we're drafting a corner is the best player on the board and they take one. Having two damn good corners in our base defense, and even more depth is how you stay competitive. And don't get burned by good QBs repeatedly on third downs. :steamed:
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Purple bruise wrote: I thought that we had agreed to disagree about Mariota. But since you brought it up I will tell you again that he is just not some QB IMO and thousands of others would agree. He has greatness written all over him and has proved it over and over and keeps on proving it. Size, arm strength, accuracy and superior mobility, every quality a top notch QB could hope to have. It would be insane if he was available and the Vikes did not draft him. But do not worry he will be long gone before the Vikes draft number is called. He will be in the top 5 selections and take that to the bank. This year alone, 38 tds. and only 2 interceptions with a rating of 186.3 with 10125 yds in less than three full seasons and 101 tds to 12 ints.. Are you kidding me :shock:
Now getting back to corner back. Drafting one in round 1 seems ridiculous. I am not saying that the Vikes do not need another talented cb but to me o-line is the most glaring weakness on this team by far and next would be a stud MLB. Time will tell which of us are correct and in the meantime we can continue "debating" it I guess :wink:
Dude I understand you have a man crush on Mariota but WE DONT NEED A QB!!! We have a young promising QB so there is no point. Hence, why there is no point to this argument
-Chazz Palminteri