This Week's Enemy Fan Forums: The New York Jets

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

frosted
Career Elite Player

This Week's Enemy Fan Forums: The New York Jets

Post by frosted »

"I understand why you would look at the compensation, but this is a highly unique player," said Schneider, Seattle's general manager. "For us to be able to, if you place Percy in this draft there would be some pretty strong argument how high he would go and it would be pretty darn high. ... Really this is kind of a slam dunk for us. We finally got our receiver that can run in the first round right here," Schneider said. - John Schneider, Seattle Seahawks GM

Viking Stat Box: Offense

Code: Select all

300.8 Total Yards/Game (30th in NFL)
186.3 Passing Yards/Game (30th in NFL)
114.5 Rushing Yards/Game (13th in NFL)
19.4 Points/Game (24th in NFL)
Viking Stat Box: Defense

Code: Select all

342.9 Total Yards/Game (10th in NFL)
219.1 Passing Yards/Game (6th in NFL)
123.8 Rushing Yards/Game (24th in NFL)
21.4 Points/Game (14th in NFL)
Random thoughts/observations from last week:

* Boy, was that ever a cold day to watch football outdoors. It was a blast, though.

* I know it's nit picking, but how sweet would it have been if Rhodes had held onto that near interception, or the Vikes had stopped Carolina on the ensuing 4th down where they scored their touchdown? I was kind of salty about that, as were the fans around me at TCF. I wanted us to keep them out of the endzone.

* Despite that, awesome performance (mostly) by the defense. Concerning that we were gashed on the ground again, and we will not be a truly dominant defensive unit until we get that cleaned up, but the pass defense is really impressive right now(with an assist from the pass rush).

* Xavier Rhodes is a stopper - he's playing like a top 5 CB right now. I'll keep talking him up week after week, if he keeps getting it done, week after week. He's going to be expensive in a few years if he keeps this level of play up.

* It was nice to see Rudolph getting some meaningful work - he still looks pretty gimpy, but he's improving. It can only help to have him on the field as another dependable weapon for our young QB.

* Props to Matt Kalil, he played well. I haven't been able to look at the coaches film yet, but from what I saw in person, he was doing a solid job. Maybe there will be hope for him yet.

* Mike Harris was frighteningly bad - I worry about Teddy with Harris in pass pro. He's over matched in this league.

* I know a lot of people are up in arms about the role Flash is playing on offense right now, but we're just going to have to be patient. He's seeing extra attention when he's on the field, and that has limited the opportunities for the 'gimmick' plays everyone loves so much, and he's not very effective as a traditional WR at this point. Our quarterbacks have a combined 51.6 passer rating throwing to Patterson this year. That's compared to 96.6 (Jennings), 81.1 (Wright), and 72.8 (Charles Johnson). I have lots of hope for him as an explosive member of our offense going forward, but he needs to keep his chin up and grind. Things aren't always going to come easy, especially now that opposing teams have adjusted to account for him and stop him. I think he's kind of butt hurt right now (judging by some of his comments to the media), but that's not going to help anything. He'll get there eventually.

* I thought that Gerald Hodges did a very nice job filling in after Barr left the game. I still want to see us get him more involved, I think he can be an impact LB.

* Greenway played much better!

* Floyd is an animal. It's amazing what a year can do for a young guy like him.

* Bridgewater was very good in this game, I thought. There wasn't any one play where he made a glaring mistake, and I continue to be pleased with his pocket presence. The kid just has a knack for helping his offensive line out with the way he slides around inside the pocket. Very encouraging.

* Robert Blanton is solid, not spectacular, but solid. You need guys like him to fill out a good defense. He's a quality football player, IMO.

* You'd be hard pressed to find anyone in the NFL as fast and powerful as Everson Griffen - JJ Watt being the one guy that comes to mind as clearly more powerful and certainly almost as fast, but seriously. Griff is a ridiculous specimen. That deal we signed him to will look like a bargain in a couple of years, as the market price for top tier pass rushers continues to rise.

* Charles Johnson, if he can work out some of the kinks, is going to be a coup for us. He's got all the makings of a dependable vertical threat.

* The crowd just loves them some Teddy.

* Props to Mike Priefer - he's a great special teams coach, and he's always got his guys ready to play. Special teams has been a strength of this team throughout this year, and that has never been more evident than Sunday. BLOCK THAT PUNT!

* I'm so into this season still, but I am excited to see what this team does in the offseason. I hope we continue to trend upward this year, and start the offseason on a positive note. There are a few guys I think will greatly benefit from another year in our program, and improvement between this year and next year has the potential to be massive, IMO. Guys like Crichton, Yankey, Hodges, Exum, Price - the future is bright. We have a solid core in place, especially on defense. Exciting time to be a Viking fan (at least that's what I keep telling myself haha). I think the program is finally being built the right way.

This Week

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back. The return of Percy Harvin, PART 2! I'm sure the guy will be up for this game. But my, how things have changed since we last saw him in action against our Vikes (just last year). It's too bad, really. I always loved watching him play, but he clearly has some social issues that have hindered him everywhere he's been. I still think he's extremely dangerous though, and IMO, a big threat to us this week. Still, the Jets are - to put it lightly - terrible. They are currently 2-10, and sinking fast. They are 29th in the NFL in total offense (32nd in passing, 2nd in rushing) and score 15.8 points/game (30th). Their defense is 7th overall (13th in passing, 3rd in rushing) and allow 26.6 points/game (25th). The thing that has really done them in this year is their turnover differential (-12), where they rank 31st in the NFL with only Oakland doing worse. All that said, this game will not be easy by any means (not that any game in the NFL is easy, especially for a young squad like ours). The Jets can run the ball very effectively, and that is by far the Achilles heel of our defense. They stuff the run, and while their defensive backfield is poor, they are better than they were early this year. Rex Ryan is a good coach, IMO. We'll probably see a lot of blitzing this week, so hopefully our offensive line and backs can pick those up and give Ted time to throw the football. Hopefully we get some guys back this week (Floyd, Barr, Jet McKinnon) and are at full strength.

Key Players to Contain - Jets Offense

* Chris Ivory (RB): Beast East. Ivory is a favorite of mine. His running style reminds me a lot of Marion Barber III (there's a guy I haven't though of in a while). He runs HARD, and is very difficult to tackle. He averages 2.68 yards after contact/attempt this season, just below Shawn Lynch. We need to gang tackle this dude or he's going to hurt us.

* Percy Harvin (WR): Not much explanation needed. The production has never been this poor, but I feel strongly that the talent remains. I'm sure he'll be extra motivated to hurt the Vikings. I don't fear him so much from a traditional WR role, but as a gadget player he can be effective running the ball, or taking short passes and creating for himself.

* Chris Johnson (HB): This may be a bit of a stretch, but he just had his best game of the season (by far) on MNF last night, so it's fresh in my mind. On an offense with very few threats, he is still capable of busting a long run (it's rare though).

Key Players to Neutralize - Jets Defense

* Sheldon Richardson (DE): Woof. This guy is a LOAD. He is an extremely disruptive player on the defensive line for the Jets. We'll need to get a hat on him, but I don't know if we can handle him. We may need to run away from him. But even if we do...

* Muhammad Wilkerson (DE): Another big (pun intended) reason why the Jets are so effective against the run. He's a HUGE defensive end, even by 3-4 standards. He also has 4.5 sacks, which is respectable considering the scheme. He missed last week with an injury, and is dealing with turf toe, so perhaps we will luck out and he won't play. That probably won't help much though, since..

* Damon Harrison (NT): 350 pounds of run stuffing monstrosity. The Jets defensive line is FIERCE. So perhaps we just pick our spots carefully in the run game, and hope that Teddy can exploit the Jets' beleaguered secondary.

Here are the enemy fan forums for this week:

NYJetsFans.com

http://nyjetsfan.com/forum2/index.php?s ... 029bd20f3e

Gang Green

http://forums.theganggreen.com/forums/new-york-jets.10/

Jet Nation

http://forums.jetnation.com/forum/5-new ... age-board/

Football's Future

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/v ... m.php?f=28

Official Fan Forum

http://forums.newyorkjets.com/forumdisp ... 313bc2&f=2

What they're saying:
For those of you who still want to win, Rex Ryan has usually done pretty well against rookie quarterbacks, and I think Bridgewater can be forced into mistakes if we play him right.

For those of you who want to tank, Geno typically struggles outdoors in cold weather. Well, he's bad in general but especially so in conditions like those he'll face Sunday. Also, we're awful against teams with dominant fronts and the Vikings are 4th in the NFL in sacks. I think we're going to struggle to put points up.

I'd expect another heavy dose of the run and another slopfest where we score in the teens. We'll probably drop this one unless Teddy really craps the bed.

Hopefully we don't get caught looking ahead to our big tanking matchup with Tennessee next week and accidentally win this game due to lack of focus. (just kidding... kind of).
Winnable game. I saw a stat earlier today that we won last 9 meetings vs Minn. Last time they beat us was in 1975.
I'm only discussing ways we need to lose. rex is gone nobody feels bad anymore it is what it is at this point, might as well start looking forward to other things. I really want Mariota even though it seem Winston is more pro-ready, Mariota just got that "it-factor" *skip bayless voice* ...

But nah in regards to the game i got Minnesota winning this one 17-13.

Bold Predictions: CJ will again be our leading rusher (125 yrds rushing, 40 rcving) & score our only TD.
Geno will throw for less than 120 yrds and two picks, one pick-6.
Jets d-line rips Bridgewater up for 6 sacks.
I wouldn't mind bringing CJ back next year so I'd feed him the rock to leave a good taste in his mouth about the end of the season/make him feel better about his stats
Start Minny's D in all your fantasy leagues
We have great history against Minnesota. For some reason they are a team we always do well against and that includes some years where they were really good. It's Funny how organizations can have certain teams that for whatever reason they are always terrible against and others they always beat. Jets v. Minny should've been the 1998 Super Bowl as well.

Considering the history and the matchup -I think this will be the only win left on the docket and the jets will finish 3-13.

It will be interesting to watch Bridgewater too considering he could've been here
a must lose, cant let the bucs or titans draft before us
Vikings 31
Jets 6
I think we win this one, we should ave #### beaten Miami Monday night. I can't believe people want to lose, we can't watch this team for 8 months , sorry I want to go 4-0 in the next 4. Good teams draft good players regardless of where they draft or would rather be the Browns or Bucs?
This is a must lose game,what does it matter if we finish 2-14 or 4-12 the outcome is all gonna be the same.Rex is gone no matter what and to insure Idziks firing and our top pick in the draft we need to lose out.I was never a "Lose for the draft" guy but I don't care anymor
I 99.99% of the time never root for this team to lose. However, due to the current circumstances and what's on the line for the future of this franchise, just tank and lose the last 4. No draft pick is a sure thing, but it gives us a shot at a quicker rebuild if we're able to draft high enough to get a franchise QB.
Biggest thing is probably scoring points on defense and special teams with return touchdowns and good field position. Bridgewater can be rattled, but he'll play better at home.

Geno did not have a good game at all the last time we played Zimmer's defense. However, our team played well against the Browns with Norv's offense.
Excited to see Bridgewater against a crappy Rex Ryan defense. He has a good game and it will spark more debate on our draft choice this past yr.
I can picture Rex pulling a 180 from last week to troll Idzik some more.

Have Geno attempt 40+ passes with no attempt to establish a running game in an attempt to expose him.
Jets need to definitely lose this game. I want the record to be at 2-14 at the end of the season.
Go Vikes!
Last edited by frosted on Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: This Week's Enemy Fan Forums: The New York Jets

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

First of all, I just want to say how much I enjoy this thread every week. In fact, I check for it several times on Tuesdays until it's posted. Really great stuff! Appreciate all the work and effort you put into this.

I've written about the Jets in other threads, but in short, I will be terribly disappointed if we don't beat them, and mildly disappointed if we don't win in a rout. They played better last night against Miami, but nobody is going to mistake The Green for a quality football team. They're 0-5 on the road with an average losing margin of 17 points. Their offense is a nightmare, ranking dead last or 31st in the league in scoring, passing, and yards per play. They hung in there against Miami, but they only completed 7 passes. Our defense is really playing well right now, as you mentioned, so we should have our way with their offense. I do worry a bit about the running game, but their passing attack is so anemic that I just don't see the running game covering for it. I also worry a bit about the "outlier" game, like their utterly inexplicable upset of Pittsburgh a couple weeks ago.

All in all, if the Vikings want to be thought of as a quality football team, they need to take care of business at home against weak teams like the Jets.
Last edited by J. Kapp 11 on Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Great write up, as usual.

Couple things that worry me. Jets have a good run game (I guess that's what happens when you have no passing game). We stink stopping the run.

Geno is going to run all game long. The Vikes better have a spy on him.

PH. He hit us when he played with Seattle, I expect him to do the same with the Jets. And then be out for the rest of the season.

We should beat the Jets by 10. And that worries me. It really wouldn't surprise me if we have a meltdown. OTOH, Teddy could throw for 300 yards, 3 TDs. Who knows.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I think we're the better team, and I think their offense is one-dimensional enough that Zimmer will come up with a nice gameplan.

Our offense probably won't have a lot of room to run, so I expect to see Teddy throw the ball a lot. I'm expecting a bit of a boring game, but I'm mostly confident that we win.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:First of all, I just want to say how much I enjoy this thread every week. In fact, I check for it several times on Tuesdays until it's posted. Really great stuff! Appreciate all the work and effort you put into this.
PurpleKoolaid wrote:Great write up, as usual.
I appreciate the kind words, gentlemen. I enjoy writing.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I wouldn't be surprised if Harvin has a good game.. he seems like a guy that would rub it in the previous teams face
a little. His QB's have to get him the ball though. The jets have some of the worst QB play in the league. I am hoping
our defense picks of their QB's three or four times in this game.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

I wouldnt be too quick to write off the Jets,especially their Offense. The whole league knows they have NO passing game. Period. Zippo.....Yet, they are still a potent running team. Everyone loads up the box to stop their runs and they get big yardage anyway. They run a crazy variety of run schemes so our veterans in the D are going to be critical in directing our young players on the fly.
This is a game where Teddy becomes really important. They are going to play a ball control, possession domination game. Teddy will need to come in and be efficient and really move the ball. OUR running game just isnt there and he needs to show us a passing game that can go vertical.
cromulus
Backup

Post by cromulus »

chicagopurple wrote:I wouldnt be too quick to write off the Jets,especially their Offense. The whole league knows they have NO passing game. Period. Zippo.....Yet, they are still a potent running team. Everyone loads up the box to stop their runs and they get big yardage anyway. They run a crazy variety of run schemes so our veterans in the D are going to be critical in directing our young players on the fly.
This is a game where Teddy becomes really important. They are going to play a ball control, possession domination game. Teddy will need to come in and be efficient and really move the ball. OUR running game just isnt there and he needs to show us a passing game that can go vertical.
Reviewing a few of their forums, their entire fanbase has written off the Jets.
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

They're 2-10, struggling mightily as a franchise, and their fanbase is screaming for Mariota rofl. Oh boy, if they do that their whole front office needs to be fired. They take harvin, if they pass on winston someone needs to investigate the jets front office for crack usage
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Boon wrote:They're 2-10, struggling mightily as a franchise, and their fanbase is screaming for Mariota rofl. Oh boy, if they do that their whole front office needs to be fired. They take harvin, if they pass on winston someone needs to investigate the jets front office for crack usage
Mariota is a man, Winston a boy, like JFB. Winston only has 2 years under his belt. I don't like the read option QBs, but I bet Mariota will be as good as Wilson, and the Jets already have a proven running game. Mariota would be the better pick. Although Winston has franchise written all over him.

Whoa, the site is freaking out on me.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

cromulus wrote: Reviewing a few of their forums, their entire fanbase has written off the Jets.
Unfortunately, we arent playing their fans, and their players are still trying to win. They are coached pretty well. He's getting the most he can out of their talent
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Vikings vs jets

Post by Norv Zimmer »

The last time the vikings played the jets it was Monday night football and Brett Favre was our qb. My sister and I were at the game at the brand new meadowlands stadium, we had 16th row 50 yard line tickets that her boss bought for us while I was visiting new york. During the first quarter we were approached by security guards claiming that we were making the jets fans around us uncomfortable. It was complete ####, we were two people surrounded by jets fans screaming J E T S jets jets jets! They told us we were not being kicked out just moved. So they moved us along with 4 other people wearing vikings jerseys up to the nosebleed seats. When we got there I said this is complete ####, a security guard said " I don't like you attitude " he grabbed my arm and pushed me down the stairs. We were led to their security office at field level where they wrote up reports and took our pictures, we were then led to the gate by 10 security guards and 4 cops where they ripped up our tickets and said we were permanently banned from the stadium.

I really dislike the jets, I hope the vikings slaughter them.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Vikings vs jets

Post by Mothman »

Norv Zimmer wrote:The last time the vikings played the jets it was Monday night football and Brett Favre was our qb. My sister and I were at the game at the brand new meadowlands stadium, we had 16th row 50 yard line tickets that her boss bought for us while I was visiting new york. During the first quarter we were approached by security guards claiming that we were making the jets fans around us uncomfortable. It was complete ####, we were two people surrounded by jets fans screaming J E T S jets jets jets! They told us we were not being kicked out just moved. So they moved us along with 4 other people wearing vikings jerseys up to the nosebleed seats. When we got there I said this is complete ####, a security guard said " I don't like you attitude " he grabbed my arm and pushed me down the stairs. We were led to their security office at field level where they wrote up reports and took our pictures, we were then led to the gate by 10 security guards and 4 cops where they ripped up our tickets and said we were permanently banned from the stadium.

I really dislike the jets, I hope the vikings slaughter them.
Wow, that sounds like a truly awful experience. Were you guys even making noise from your seats? Why did security feel you and your sister were making the Jets fans around uncomfortable in the first place?
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings vs jets

Post by Purple bruise »

Mothman wrote: Wow, that sounds like a truly awful experience. Were you guys even making noise from your seats? Why did security feel you and your sister were making the Jets fans around uncomfortable in the first place?
Could it be that they were drunk and yelling obscenities :wink: :lol:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

We were just sitting there. Nothing was going on in the game. But in the big screens at the stadium they kept flashing text your seat and section to this phone number if you are feeling uncomfortable. My guess is jets fans texted to that number just to get us moved cause we were wearing purple. They were great seats and I bet their friend scooted right into our seats once we got moved.