Vikings vs Jets

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

stevo56
Practice Squad

Vikings vs Jets

Post by stevo56 »

Hey guys. My names Steve (Giants fan, not a happy one) However I come to you guys today seeking some MAJOR advice.

Long story short, my survivor league is down to 12 people, and the pot is over $1,000,000 and Im starting to freak out a bit. Its winner takes all, and no chopping up the pot.

Once week 10 began, we had to start picking 2 teams a week to win and move on as they do not want this going in to the playoffs, It ends week 17 no matter what. Week 16 and 17, if it goes that far, we need to start picking 3 teams.

We have one of our picks locked in for next week, and the 2nd team we are seriously considering taking the Vikings. I really wanted to gauge all of you guys and your confidence level for next week, any input you could give me would be a major help. Thank you in advance.
maembe
Franchise Player

Re: Vikings vs Jets

Post by maembe »

The Jets are terrible but we always seem to lose to them. As a general rule, if you're ever counting on the Vikings to win a game, they will find a way to lose.

Disclaimer: This may not be the best place to go for Vikings advice though as we've all become bitter and jaded over the years, yet many of us immediately become overly optimistic every time we win a game. So half of the posters will tell you we're going to the playoffs while the other half are convinced we aren't going to win another game.

Also, if the pot is over $1 million why wouldn't you all just agree to split it at this point and take your $83k?
stevo56
Practice Squad

Post by stevo56 »

Thanks maeme, much appreciated man.

Believe me I would LOVE to do that. But all 12 people remaining have to agree to chop the pot and there are 3 people who adamantly refuse to even consider it unless it gets down to 3 people, and even than are not sure they would be willing to. Needless to say, let another stressful Sunday begin lol. I got INCREDIBLY lucky with the Bengals yesterday, not sure if something like that will happen again.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

stevo56 wrote:Thanks maeme, much appreciated man.

Believe me I would LOVE to do that. But all 12 people remaining have to agree to chop the pot and there are 3 people who adamantly refuse to even consider it unless it gets down to 3 people, and even than are not sure they would be willing to. Needless to say, let another stressful Sunday begin lol. I got INCREDIBLY lucky with the Bengals yesterday, not sure if something like that will happen again.
Whew! You had the Bengals yesterday? You must have been sweating bullets.

I'd stay away from the Vikes next week. If I had to express my confidence in a Vikings win over the Jets numerically, I'd put it at 6 out of 10 (with 10 representing 100% confidence). However, I think the current nature of the two teams suggests a close game. I think the Vikes are the better team but the Jets might be built to beat them. Their defense is pretty good and I think they may be able to make the Vikings somewhat limited offense one-dimensional and force Bridgewater to beat them through the air. I also believe they can limit his opportunities to do that because the Vikings defense is struggling to stop the run and the Jets are 3rd in the league in rushing, averaging 4.7 ypc and 136+ yards per game. I expect them to run for more than that against Minnesota and keep the Vikes offense off the field.

I think it's a winnable game for both teams, and I suspect the Vikings will force a few key turnovers or something and find a way to win it, but I don't like the matchup enough to feel confident about it and considering the stakes you're facing, I think you'd be better off putting your faith in a more reliable team than our Vikes.
stevo56
Practice Squad

Post by stevo56 »

Mothman wrote: Whew! You had the Bengals yesterday? You must have been sweating bullets.

I'd stay away from the Vikes next week. If I had to express my confidence in a Vikings win over the Jets numerically, I'd put it at 6 out of 10 (with 10 representing 100% confidence). However, I think the current nature of the two teams suggests a close game. I think the Vikes are the better team but the Jets might be built to beat them. Their defense is pretty good and I think they may be able to make the Vikings somewhat limited offense one-dimensional and force Bridgewater to beat them through the air. I also believe they can limit his opportunities to do that because the Vikings defense is struggling to stop the run and the Jets are 3rd in the league in rushing, averaging 4.7 ypc and 136+ yards per game. I expect them to run for more than that against Minnesota and keep the Vikes offense off the field.

I think it's a winnable game for both teams, and I suspect the Vikings will force a few key turnovers or something and find a way to win it, but I don't like the matchup enough to feel confident about it and considering the stakes you're facing, I think you'd be better off putting your faith in a more reliable team than our Vikes.
Mothman, thank you very much for your take....extremely informative. And yes, sweating bullets was an understatement, my heart rate was through the roof watching those last 30 seconds lol. Thank you very much for your input, will definitely keep you all posted on which way I go!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

stevo56 wrote:Mothman, thank you very much for your take....extremely informative. And yes, sweating bullets was an understatement, my heart rate was through the roof watching those last 30 seconds lol. Thank you very much for your input, will definitely keep you all posted on which way I go!
Please do. I hope you win the pot!
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I have to disagree with Jim.

The Jets might be the most ill-equipped team in the league to beat the Vikings, especially in Minnesota. Why? Well, since the Vikings struggle to score and their defense is pretty good, Minnesota fares best against teams that struggle to score. The Jets fit that description nicely.

New York's woeful passing offense checks in at dead last in the league, and they'll be going up against the #3 pass defense in the NFL. The Jets will also be starting Geno Smith, assuming he doesn't get benched against the Dolphins tonight, and his turnover issues are well documented. The Jets don't protect the passer well -- they've allowed the 5th-most sacks in the league -- while Minnesota is 3rd in the league in sacks per pass attempt. And there isn't a wideout on the Jets' roster that the Vikings' underrated DBs can't cover. That includes Percy Harvin, who has never been a good route runner and has done absolutely nothing for the Jets (which is a question less about his talent and more about the way Marty Mornhinweg uses him).

The Jets do run the ball fairly well, but they're not devastating, and their rushing attack isn't enough to overcome their inadequacies in the passing game. Overall, the Jets rank 31st in total offense, 31st in yards per play, and 30th in points per game. With the Vikings struggling at times to score, it's exactly what the doctor ordered for Minnesota.

When the Vikings have the ball, they'll be going against Jets' 24th-ranked defense, a stat that frankly surprised me. In addition, four of the top five scoring games for the Vikings have come at home. Given the way Buffalo's scoring-challenged offense destroyed the Jets, I see the Vikings putting up some points. Maybe not 38 like Buffalo did, but enough to win.

Statistics aside, the biggest reason to pick the Vikings is the way each team is trending. The Vikings are playing pretty well right now. The offense won't remind anybody of Green Bay or Denver, but they're playing better of late and putting some points on the board. Teddy Bridgewater is trending upward, even if it's not a steep slope. Minnesota's defense gets better every week. Meanwhile, the Jets are sliding off the ledge in virtually every phase. They may be the worst team in the NFL right now. Look at their game against Buffalo last Monday. The Jets had extra time and perfect practice conditions, while Bills couldn't even practice because they had 7 feet of snow on the ground. Yet the Bills destroyed them in every possible phase of the game.

And that brings up my final point ... the ugly, not-so-secret secret that nobody likes to talk about. It appears that Rex Ryan has lost this team. Yes, Jets players say they'd run through a wall for the guy, but look at their effort in recent games. It's pathetic. The moment something goes wrong -- a false start penalty, a sack, a big play given up -- it begins to snowball. So even if Rex Ryan hasn't lost the team, they're ill-equipped to handle adversity. They're a team in disarray.

Add in the fact that the Jets are 0-5 on the road with an average losing margin of 17 points, and this looks like a win for the Vikings to me.

Granted, I'm an unabashed Vikings fan, but I'm also realistic. I know which teams are likely to beat mine, and the Jets simply don't qualify in my mind. Will we beat them by 3 touchdowns? Probably not. We don't typically demolish teams at this point in our history (and I say that realizing fully that we beat Carolina by 18 yesterday, also realizing that we won't often get two punt-block TDs in the same game). But I'd be absolutely stunned if the Jets win this game.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
stevo56
Practice Squad

Post by stevo56 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:I have to disagree with Jim.

The Jets might be the most ill-equipped team in the league to beat the Vikings, especially in Minnesota. Why? Well, since the Vikings struggle to score and their defense is pretty good, Minnesota fares best against teams that struggle to score. The Jets fit that description nicely.

New York's woeful passing offense checks in at dead last in the league, and they'll be going up against the #3 pass defense in the NFL. The Jets will also be starting Geno Smith, assuming he doesn't get benched against the Dolphins tonight, and his turnover issues are well documented. The Jets don't protect the passer well -- they've allowed the 5th-most sacks in the league -- while Minnesota is 3rd in the league in sacks per pass attempt. And there isn't a wideout on the Jets' roster that the Vikings' underrated DBs can't cover. That includes Percy Harvin, who has never been a good route runner and has done absolutely nothing for the Jets (which is a question less about his talent and more about the way Marty Mornhinweg uses him).

The Jets do run the ball fairly well, but they're not devastating, and their rushing attack isn't enough to overcome their inadequacies in the passing game. Overall, the Jets rank 31st in total offense, 31st in yards per play, and 30th in points per game. With the Vikings struggling at times to score, it's exactly what the doctor ordered for Minnesota.

When the Vikings have the ball, they'll be going against Jets' 24th-ranked defense, a stat that frankly surprised me. In addition, four of the top five scoring games for the Vikings have come at home. Given the way Buffalo's scoring-challenged offense destroyed the Jets, I see the Vikings putting up some points. Maybe not 38 like Buffalo did, but enough to win.

Statistics aside, the biggest reason to pick the Vikings is the way each team is trending. The Vikings are playing pretty well right now. The offense won't remind anybody of Green Bay or Denver, but they're playing better of late and putting some points on the board. Teddy Bridgewater is trending upward, even if it's not a steep slope. Minnesota's defense gets better every week. Meanwhile, the Jets are sliding off the ledge in virtually every phase. They may be the worst team in the NFL right now. Look at their game against Buffalo last Monday. The Jets had extra time and perfect practice conditions, while Bills couldn't even practice because they had 7 feet of snow on the ground. Yet the Bills destroyed them in every possible phase of the game.

And that brings up my final point ... the ugly, not-so-secret secret that nobody likes to talk about. It appears that Rex Ryan has lost this team. Yes, Jets players say they'd run through a wall for the guy, but look at their effort in recent games. It's pathetic. The moment something goes wrong -- a false start penalty, a sack, a big play given up -- it begins to snowball. So even if Rex Ryan hasn't lost the team, they're ill-equipped to handle adversity. They're a team in disarray.

Add in the fact that the Jets are 0-5 on the road with an average losing margin of 17 points, and this looks like a win for the Vikings to me.

Granted, I'm an unabashed Vikings fan, but I'm also realistic. I know which teams are likely to beat mine, and the Jets simply don't qualify in my mind. Will we beat them by 3 touchdowns? Probably not. We don't typically demolish teams at this point in our history (and I say that realizing fully that we beat Carolina by 18 yesterday, also realizing that we won't often get two punt-block TDs in the same game). But I'd be absolutely stunned if the Jets win this game.

J Kapp, your line of thinking is very similar to mine, hence why I started leaning towards them in the first place. I very much value your, and all your Viking brethren's opinions and will take each one in to very very careful consideration. Thank you very much for taking the time to give me such a detailed response to my question.

KEEP THE INPUT COMING VIKINGS FAN
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

I thnk J Capp nailed it.

The Jets are in terrible shape and getting worse. The Vikes are making slow progress and improving. The Jets Coach has lost his team, Zim is building trust and confidence with a very young enthusiatic core of players. It is a home game for the Vikes.
If there is going to be a goat that screws the Vikes, I would look at Kalil. WHO in the Jets will take advantage of the glaring black hole on the Vikes line called "Kalil"? Is anyone on their team capable of taking him to school??
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:I have to disagree with Jim.

It could be... IF they can stop the run and score effectively against the Jets defense. If they can't stop the run, it could be a long day.
When the Vikings have the ball, they'll be going against Jets' 24th-ranked defense, a stat that frankly surprised me.
It surprises me too since NFL.com has them listed at #7: http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats? ... S_GAME_AVG

Am I missing something? The Jets have given up a LOT of points but I don't know how many of those have been due to turnovers on offense and special teams or if they're just a team that isn't allowing a ton of yardage but is giving up too many scores.

I know they were a mess against Buffalo but you said to look at their effort in recent games and they just beat Pittsburgh two weeks ago so I'm not sure all of the above makes sense. How did a pathetic team the coach may have lost, that's sliding off the ledge in virtually every phase, win one of their last two games 20-14?
I agree but I sure wouldn't risk a shot at a million dollars on it. The Vikes should be favored to win, and should win, but they've proven themselves to be unreliable this season. I have to believe there's a better option out there for Steve's second survivor league pick.
stevo56
Practice Squad

Post by stevo56 »

ChicagoPurple, There DL is pretty good across the board, however the best one of the bunch Mo Wilkerson is out tonight with Turf Toe. Its unknown right now if he will play.

There run D is very good, but the have by far the worst secondary in the NFL across the board.

Mothman, again, great insight. The Pittsburgh game is definitely noteworthy, but I don't know how much I buy it. They had just come off 2 home games where Ben threw 12 TD passes, came to NY lost to the Jets, than went back on the road the following week and pulled one out of the fire VS the Titans. I think it boils down to Pitt not being a world beater, and also playing way worse away from Heinz Field.

But keep it coming guys! This is a huge help.... Maybe this will help too, here is who I have remaining. And remember the next 2 weeks I have to select 2 teams per week, and Week 16 & 17 it gets bumped up to 3

Really trying to hang on to Packers/Eagles for 16 and Texans/Cowboys for 17

Browns
Bucs
Cards
Chiefs
Cowboys
Eagles
Falcons
Giants
Jags
Lions
Packers
Raiders
Redskins
Texans
Titans
Vikings
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

Holding onto the Cowboys for week 17 :shock:

The Cowboys haven't won a week 17 match up since 2010, and even though they play the Redskins this year, it's on the road and they already lost to them at home earlier this season. Add on the fact that the Cowboys will likely be fighting for a playoff spot at that point, a position they have traditionally choked away for a few years in a row now, there's no way I would be resting my chance to win over a million dollars on the Cowboys in a do or die game
stevo56
Practice Squad

Post by stevo56 »

Saint,
In all likelihood it wont go all the way to week 17 anyway. But if it did, given the teams I have remaining, it is definitely the best option. Romo was also out of that game for more than a quarter.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

stevo56 wrote:Mothman, again, great insight. The Pittsburgh game is definitely noteworthy, but I don't know how much I buy it. They had just come off 2 home games where Ben threw 12 TD passes, came to NY lost to the Jets, than went back on the road the following week and pulled one out of the fire VS the Titans. I think it boils down to Pitt not being a world beater, and also playing way worse away from Heinz Field.
I agree but the Vikes aren't exactly world-beaters either. Run the ball well against them and avoid turnovers and it should be possible to keep the game close and winnable in the 4thy quarter. Don't get me wrong, I think they're probably going to beat the Jets and on that point, Kapp and I agree. It's just that they're a young team, a work-in-progress with some clear deficiencies, thus probably not a team to rely on if you need a victory. Vikes fans will tell you our team has a long and unfortunate history of losing games they should win. :(
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Mothman wrote:I agree but I sure wouldn't risk a shot at a million dollars on it. The Vikes should be favored to win, and should win, but they've proven themselves to be unreliable this season. I have to believe there's a better option out there for Steve's second survivor league pick.
There's where I fall short.

I have no idea of how things like survivor leagues work. I lead a pretty sheltered life. :lol:

I was just justifying my pick that the Vikings would win. Did a pretty good job, don't you think?

P.S. (And I'm pretty sure by now that you know this is my opinion) Previous years' history means nothing. Only today's game means anything. According to me.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.