Those blocked punts...

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Those blocked punts...

Post by Mothman »

From Tom Powers' column today:

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_270 ... cial-teams
"Coach Priefer is a great coach," Brinkley noted. "He sees certain thing and puts players in the right position to make plays."

What the Vikings saw was the Panthers lining up with an emphasis on blocking Brian Robison, who was split wide and preparing to rush the kick from the outside. That left a gap that could be exploited.

"It was the greatest feeling," Brinkley said. "I knew I had blocked the ball. I knew I had blocked the punt. It was great. I just tried to relocate the ball. Ultimately, Everson had it going the other way."

Priefer had this scouted out before the game even started. He knew Carolina's tendencies. Afterwards, he explained the technical aspects of it all. And, honest to God, he lost me about four seconds in. Something about a "plus-50 situation" and "defensive stays."

He might as well have been speaking Farsi.

"I seen the ball, I picked it up and I scored," Griffen said.

That I understood.
:lol: Kudos to Priefer for spotting the weakness in the Panthers' protection and to the players for executing and exploiting those weaknesses. It was great to see the special teams make such a big contribution to the win.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Those blocked punts...

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

It really was amazing.

The most interesting part to me was that the starting base defense was on the field for the second punt block. Priefer was going all out to get the second block, pitting defensive starters against Carolina special-teamers, which is a talent mismatch, if nothing else. Griffen, Brinkley, Barr, Robison, Tom Johnson, Greenway, Blanton ... all on the field. Very cool strategy from a personnel standpoint.

Oddly enough, Brian Billick only gave special teams a B+ on his review of the game on Vikings.com. I mean, we had two blocked punts, 4-4 in extra points, a 28-yard average on kick returns, a 22.5-yard average on punt returns, no punt returns allowed, 3 touchbacks on 6 kickoffs, and a 15-yard average allowed on the three kickoffs that were returned. How on earth does that constitute a B+?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Oddly enough, Brian Billick only gave special teams a B+ on his review of the game on Vikings.com. I mean, we had two blocked punts, 4-4 in extra points, a 28-yard average on kick returns, a 22.5-yard average on punt returns, no punt returns allowed, 3 touchbacks on 6 kickoffs, and a 15-yard average allowed on the three kickoffs that were returned. How on earth does that constitute a B+?

Maybe Billick didn't watch the entire game. I don't know. I thought the special teams played great yesterday.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I always felt there had to have been a good reason why Priefer was retained after the Kluwe ordeal and with a new coaching regime. He seems to be a very very good football coach. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get promoted either internally or externally in the next year or so. Probably after next year when there's more distance between the incident with his comments.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

It made me smile when the announcer mentioned the last block and TD return was Issac Holt!! a blast from the past!!
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Oddly enough, Brian Billick only gave special teams a B+ on his review of the game on Vikings.com. I mean, we had two blocked punts, 4-4 in extra points, a 28-yard average on kick returns, a 22.5-yard average on punt returns, no punt returns allowed, 3 touchbacks on 6 kickoffs, and a 15-yard average allowed on the three kickoffs that were returned. How on earth does that constitute a B+?
http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/vide ... 3e945ccd1b

Are you referring to this? Because he never actually grades the special teams

Teddy Bridgewater gets a B+
Offense gets a B
Defense gets a B
Overall team gets an A

I think from the grading, we can assume the Special teams gets an A+, otherwise how else would our overall performance get an A if offense and Defense both get Bs
Bavarian
Waterboy

Post by Bavarian »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:It really was amazing.

The most interesting part to me was that the starting base defense was on the field for the second punt block. Priefer was going all out to get the second block, pitting defensive starters against Carolina special-teamers, which is a talent mismatch, if nothing else. Griffen, Brinkley, Barr, Robison, Tom Johnson, Greenway, Blanton ... all on the field. Very cool strategy from a personnel standpoint.

Great point. Makes one wonder what the hell would constitute an A? Come on Billick, don't harbor resentment towards your old team!
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

chicagopurple wrote:It made me smile when the announcer mentioned the last block and TD return was Issac Holt!! a blast from the past!!
Something I found at nfl.com
In case you were wondering, Issiac Holt blocked that punt back in '86. Holt was the only Viking to remain with the Cowboys as part of the infamous Herschel Walker deal and win a Super Bowl ring. All the other guys were let go immediately or dealt. Another long-time assistant -- like Zimmer -- made his head-coaching debut in Minnesota that year: Jerry Burns. Burns took the team to the postseason in 1987, '88 and '89.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Good teams find way to win games... Bad teams find ways to lose them...

Penalties, Turn overs, and special teams errors are often the difference in wins.

I am hoping the Vikings continue having these kinds of moments.. IMO our defense/ST is so much better
than the last few years.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Lars
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Lars »

I read that two blocked punts returned for a touchdown in one game has happened only 5 times since 1941 -- and (if I read it right) that the Vikings were one of the teams that did it --not counting last week. Anyone know when that was and who blocked/returned them?
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

saint33 wrote: http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/vide ... 3e945ccd1b

Are you referring to this? Because he never actually grades the special teams

Teddy Bridgewater gets a B+
Offense gets a B
Defense gets a B
Overall team gets an A

I think from the grading, we can assume the Special teams gets an A+, otherwise how else would our overall performance get an A if offense and Defense both get Bs
Hmmm.

I was watching it live. And I am getting old. Hearing aids in my future?

Yikes.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Lars wrote:I read that two blocked punts returned for a touchdown in one game has happened only 5 times since 1941 -- and (if I read it right) that the Vikings were one of the teams that did it --not counting last week. Anyone know when that was and who blocked/returned them?
According to ESPN.com, quoting the Elias Sports Bureau:

2014 -- Minnesota Vikings against Carolina Panthers
1990 -- Kansas City Chiefs against Cleveland Browns
1975 -- Detroit Lions against Green Bay Packers
1920 -- Chicago Cardinals against Detroit Heralds
1920 -- Rock Island Independents against Muncie Flyers

The Vikings did have two blocked punt TDs in the same SEASON ... in 1970. Ed Sharockman scored both.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:1920 -- Rock Island Independents against Muncie Flyers
I think Jim was at that game!
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

PurpleMustReign wrote: I think Jim was at that game!
:point: :rofl: :point: :rofl:
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.