A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: 120.73

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Mothman wrote: Well, considering that he was 19-30 for 317 yards and a passer rating of 98.9 in his first start, I'm not sure that qualifies as consistent improvement. ;)

Seriously, it wouldn't be realistic to expect that kind of performance week after week but I think I find it hard to see his performances over the last 5 games as indicative of consistent improvement.

Game by game:

@TB: 24-42 (57.14%) 241 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT; Rating: 81.5; Y/A: 5.74
WAS: 26-42 (61.9%) 268 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT; Rating: 88.2; Y/A: 6.38
@CHI: 18-28 (64.29%) 158 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT; Rating: 76.2: Y/A: 5.64
GB: 21-37 (56.76%) 210 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT; Rating: 79.8: Y/A: 5.68
CAR: 15-21 (71.43%) 138 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT; Rating: 120.7: Y/A: 8.48

That doesn't seem like a stretch of consistent performances to me, although his TD/INT ratio is nice over those 5 games. His Y/A numbers in 3 of the 5 games are more than a little discouraging.
As you said, it isn't realistic to have good games every week but over a 5 game period, the numbers are pretty decent. You looked further into that than I was expecting. I was just looking at the last 5 games as a whole, you can't complain about those numbers. Especially for a rookie. Oh and his record is 3-2 in those games :wink:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

akvikingsfan wrote: Which over a 16 game season projects out to:

- 333 for 544 (61.2% completion)
- 3240 yards
- 23 TDs and 7 INTs
- 86.6 QBR

*Numbers were rounded*

To me, those numbers are very serviceable from a QB. That would by no means be a HoF QB, but it would be enough to keep me happy. Further, if you project these numbers for 12 weeks, that would place Bridgewater right around the middle of the pack (12-18) in all major areas (yards, TDs, QBR, completion %). I would settle for an average QB. If we can get good play from the D and a running back that can play we will be a playoff team.
I was actually wondering what that would be if you extended it out. Thanks for taking the time to do that!! Those are definitely pretty decent numbers when you look at them that way
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: As you said, it isn't realistic to have good games every week but over a 5 game period, the numbers are pretty decent. You looked further into that than I was expecting. I was just looking at the last 5 games as a whole, you can't complain about those numbers. Especially for a rookie. Oh and his record is 3-2 in those games :wink:
The TD numbers aren't bad at all but as I said, those low Y/A games are discouraging. He played well late against Chicago and Tampa Bay or the numbers would look worse but I don't think averaging well under 6 yards per attempt is generally going to be winning football, especially when the completion percentage is below 60% (as it is in 2 of those 3 games).

To put it in perspective (and I apologize for doing this since I know you hate the comparison), in 2012, Ponder's best season, his passer rating for the season was 81.2 and his Y/A was 6.1 (in a season where Vikes fans started calling him "Check Down Charlie") so you can see why the low Y/A numbers concern me, especially since Teddy's performance in those games was also underwhelming. Now, if he can start putting together more games like the one he had yesterday, that will really bode well!
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

If it counts for anything, the Vikings are 4-0 in games where Bridgewater throws at least 1 TD and 0 INTs.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Here's where I'm encouraged ... Teddy has shown improvement in areas where he was identified as needing improvement.

He tends to start games poorly, then get better later on
This week, he played very well early in the game.

He wasn't throwing TD passes
Two straight multiple-TD games.

TD/INT ratio was poor
Last five weeks, as mentioned, he's sitting at 7:2, which is pretty good.

Poor deep ball accuracy
Had two excellent deep throws yesterday, completing one for 35 yards.

Obviously, these examples represent a microscopic sample size and mean little in the long run. But in his press conference yesterday, he talked about some of these very things -- deep-ball accuracy, taking care of the football, scoring more -- which means he's aware of them, acknowledges them as areas of improvement, and is working on them. I find that encouraging.

Teddy Bridgewater does not have the physical skill set of someone like Andrew Luck, so to expect Pro-Bowl-quality play in his rookie season is asking too much. What you want to see is development and improvement, and that the game isn't too big for him. I think we're seeing that, with the full understanding that it has to continue. We thought we saw that in Ponder at the start of 2012, but it didn't continue. We've got a ways to go with Teddy before we can declare him anything, but I like the way he's trending.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Here's where I'm encouraged ... Teddy has shown improvement in areas where he was identified as needing improvement.

He tends to start games poorly, then get better later on
This week, he played very well early in the game.

He wasn't throwing TD passes
Two straight multiple-TD games.

TD/INT ratio was poor
Last five weeks, as mentioned, he's sitting at 7:2, which is pretty good.

Poor deep ball accuracy
Had two excellent deep throws yesterday, completing one for 35 yards.

Obviously, these examples represent a microscopic sample size and mean little in the long run. But in his press conference yesterday, he talked about some of these very things -- deep-ball accuracy, taking care of the football, scoring more -- which means he's aware of them, acknowledges them as areas of improvement, and is working on them. I find that encouraging.

Teddy Bridgewater does not have the physical skill set of someone like Andrew Luck, so to expect Pro-Bowl-quality play in his rookie season is asking too much. What you want to see is development and improvement, and that the game isn't too big for him. I think we're seeing that, with the full understanding that it has to continue. We thought we saw that in Ponder at the start of 2012, but it didn't continue. We've got a ways to go with Teddy before we can declare him anything, but I like the way he's trending.
I like it this week. :)

As you said, it has to continue. That doesn't mean he can't ever experience a setback but generally speaking, it has to continue. I'd say he's on an "upswing" of about a game and a half right now. Hopefully, it will be 2.5 by the end of the day next Sunday. :)
Bavarian
Waterboy

Post by Bavarian »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:A 120 QBR is darn good in the freezing cold, with no running game, and a patchwork Oline. But keep comparing him to a failure if it makes ya feel better.
These are facts to consider when fairly judging him. I'm very encouraged by his pocket awareness, poise, checking down his options without looking to run...he's even cool after TD's. Love to see that. Very composed, learning as he goes, displaying good leadership, no whining, players like him...what's not to like? Yeah, his struggles have been noticed but mostly when the team is short-handed lacking playmakers and OLinemen. His frame of mind is excellent for a rookie. Compare him to Manziel, Carr or Bortles right now. There is none. Turner is handling him perfectly. Watch for a jump in play next year with familiarization with his players (hopefully a nice weapon addition), scheme and reading defenses and not to mention learning to play in the cold. The future is very bright.

I couldn't be more pleased. This team could easily be 7-5 and hasn't embarrassed themselves in the least. New coaching staff, new QB, developing CB's, hurt OLinemen, missing playmakers (Patterson, Peterson, Rudolph). And he still is moving forward. I'm not sure what some of you are watching or nitpicking here.