Souhan: Judging Spielman is a wavering process

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Souhan: Judging Spielman is a wavering process

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I know a lot of you guys aren't big into Pro Football focus but for what it's worth, on the season, Shariff Floyd is the #2 DT this year behind only Suh. I remember a few people on here calling him a bust last year :roll: That's why we need to give rookies TIME to develop!!

Also from weeks 9-13, Xavier Rhodes is the #3 CB behind only Richard Sherman and Joe Haden
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:I know a lot of you guys aren't big into Pro Football focus but for what it's worth, on the season, Shariff Floyd is the #2 DT this year behind only Suh. I remember a few people on here calling him a bust last year :roll: That's why we need to give rookies TIME to develop!!

Also from weeks 9-13, Xavier Rhodes is the #3 CB behind only Richard Sherman and Joe Haden

There's a nice article about Rhodes on the Star Tribune site today. It's great to see those two stepping up and improving in their second year. I just wish Floyd was 100% healthy.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:I know a lot of you guys aren't big into Pro Football focus but for what it's worth, on the season, Shariff Floyd is the #2 DT this year behind only Suh. I remember a few people on here calling him a bust last year :roll: That's why we need to give rookies TIME to develop!!

Gotta say, Xavier Rhodes probably deserves to be on the NFC Pro Bowl roster. Doubt he gets the nod, but IMO he should.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Souhan: Judging Spielman is a wavering process

Post by DK Sweets »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Gotta say, Xavier Rhodes probably deserves to be on the NFC Pro Bowl roster. Doubt he gets the nod, but IMO he should.
I don't argue with the premise of the post, but there is no such thing as AFC/NFC Pro Bowl rosters anymore.
purplereign1
Rookie

Post by purplereign1 »

Boon wrote:You can have so many outcomes and avenues to approach. One thing that irks me is the mentality that a Manning type QB is necessary to win in today's NFL. To the people that feel that way let me ask you this, if you took a hypothetical time machine, and brung back the 2000 Ravens and 2002 Bucs, do you think those teams would be able to win now? I sure as hell do. Ravens won in 2000 with the worst offense ever to win a super bowl. You can even lump last years Sea Chickens team into that equation. You hold a team to 8 points and you have such an astronomical chance to win it's not even funny, regardless of who the QB is. Manning couldn't do anything. Historically speaking, and some flyby research on my part, not trying to go all Captain statistics on everyone because I don't have the patience for it, the super bowl winners usually field a top 5 defense.

16 of the 48 winners didn't have a top 5 defense from what I saw, about 5-6 of those were just outside the top 5 (like 6th or 7th) . If you count 5 "almosts" that's about 11 of 48 winners NOT fielding a top 5 defense. Alot of these teams however also fielded a top 10 offense, but the percentages favor the defensive side of the ball. Perfect example would be last year, almost everyone saw that curbstomp. Everyone always sticks to this notion that a GM is graded based on QB's, when the truth is those types of quarterbacks mentioned earlier don't come around very often. If you throw Favre in, in the past 15 years or so there have been a handful of quarterbacks that can be considered elite. Brady, Brees, P Manning, Rodgers, Favre, Warner, and I would throw Big Ben into that list as an honorable mention. I might have forgotten some but the point still stands. Thats 32 teams with at least two quarterbacks a piece. 15 drafts, 7 rounds, supplementals, undrafteds, cuts and signings and the leage has managed to maintain under 10 elite tier quarterbacks in that whole timeframe. Plenty of "just under" QB's like stafford, romo, rivers etc. It's still rare. Very rare. Stafford, Romo, Ryan, Rivers, throw picks and choke in big situations like it's nobody's business. The fans of those teams complain about those quarterbacks just like we do about ours.

I'm not ready to grade Spielman on the QB position. It's the most luck based position to draft in the nfl, period. It also takes time historically to see whether or not the QB can play at a high level, with a few exceptions. I will grade him however, on putting talent together as a whole. He drafted arguably the greatest running back to ever play the sport. Brung in Jared Allen. Drafted talent like Harvin, Sullivan, Barr, Rhodes, Smith, Walsh, Floyd, etc. Sure some of that talent has yet to be fully evaluated, or went completely batshit crazy, but his pedigree as a whole doesn't strike me as a cause for concern. To hell with what he does at QB, seriously. The one thing that concerned me was how the whole Frazier situation was handled. Dude was obviously in over his head and he took too long to rectify the situation. Turner strikes me as an issue too but we'll see about that one. He then turns around and hires this gem of a coach that we have now. I honestly believe Zimmer will finally get this franchise a trophy, but again, that's just opinion and speculation on my part.

Defensively we have talent. With good coaching as you can see we have become respectable, bordering on dangerous. Nobody is underestimating this defensive unit anymore. They add a handful of players, drop some dead weight, add a coach and it goes from last to near a top 10, if not a top 10. With practically the same roster.
I have a much simpler way to evaluate Spielman as a GM, the same way we evaluate head coaches, by wins and losses. I would give a new GM a couple of years to bring in their coaches and players and then simply go by the teams record since the GM should have the final say in all the personnel decisions. I know it is more fun to break down each position and pick but it still comes down to wins and losses for a team. Right now with Spielman's guys we are not a winning team, however the Vikings fan in me wants to be optimistic with Zimmer at the helm and TB as a potential franchise QB. Maybe Spielman will have a few more hits than misses and we soon will be a good team. All that being said I admittedly do not know how long Rick has had full control of the personnel decisions, have not tallied our record over that time, and have personally liked most of his picks as of late when we drafted the players.