Felton could opt out of contract after season

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Felton could opt out of contract after season

Post by Mothman »

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_270 ... ter-season
When the Vikings asked fullback Jerome Felton in March to take a $500,000 pay cut this season, he agreed. But Felton got something out of the deal, too.

Felton, whose salary was reduced from $1.95 million to $1.45 million, received the right to opt out of the $2.45 million left on his contract for 2015. It's an option he said he might end up taking.

Felton is ranked by Pro Football Focus as the NFL's second-best fullback, but that hasn't translated into much playing time under first-year coach Mike Zimmer and offensive coordinator Norv Turner. Felton has been in for just 122 of Minnesota's 743 offensive plays, including a meager five in Sunday's 24-21 loss to Green Bay at TCF Bank Stadium.

Felton is not issuing any ultimatums, but he said his lack of playing time could play a role in a decision to opt out. He is averaging fewer than half the snaps he got last season.

"Of course, that will be a factor," Felton said. "But I've thoroughly enjoyed my time this year because I like our coaching staff and I really think this team is heading in the right direction. All of that is going to be in play."
More at the link.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Felton could opt out of contract after season

Post by CbusVikesFan »

I am not sure why Norv hasn't used Jerome more often. Hasn't Norv had some decent FB's in his day? One easily comes to mind.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Especially with the OLine problems we have been having, you would think he'd be in to help block...
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

CbusVikesFan wrote:I am not sure why Norv hasn't used Jerome more often. Hasn't Norv had some decent FB's in his day? One easily comes to mind.
I'm not sure about quite a few things Norv has or hasn't done. For example, he under-utilizes some players.

Perhaps AD being out is part of the reason why Felton isn't used as often.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

losperros wrote: I'm not sure about quite a few things Norv has or hasn't done. For example, he under-utilizes some players.

Perhaps AD being out is part of the reason why Felton isn't used as often.
Yes, to be sure. Does JF not have any value unless he has a star RB to block for? Interesting.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I could see Felton leaving, especially if A.P. leaves
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!