This Week's Enemy Fan Forums: The Carolina Panthers

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

frosted
Career Elite Player

This Week's Enemy Fan Forums: The Carolina Panthers

Post by frosted »

That's one of the great things about Thanksgiving: Football's on!
- Michael Strahan

Viking Stat Box: Offense

Code: Select all

309 Total Yards/Game (30th in NFL)
192.5 Passing Yards/Game (29th in NFL)
1176.5 Rushing Yards/Game (13th in NFL)
18.4 Points/Game (27th in NFL)
Viking Stat Box: Defense

Code: Select all

342.5 Total Yards/Game (12th in NFL)
223.5 Passing Yards/Game (7th in NFL)
118.9 Rushing Yards/Game (21st in NFL)
22.2 Points/Game (15th in NFL)
Random thoughts/observations from last week:

* I'm super short on time with the Holiday (Happy Thanksgiving, BTW!), so this is going to be a speed round of Enemy Fan Forums this week.

* Anthony Barr has to play better.

* Charles Johnson shows promise, needs to catch the ball more consistently.

* Xavier Rhodes is a G.

* Run defense struggles can be laid at the feet of the LBs, I watched the All 22 last night, and it's apparent to me that Barr and Greenway (especially Greenway) were awful, while the defensive line looked solid. Greenway is trying really hard, but he's just over matched, it's sad. Barr's struggles are oftentimes mental (though he missed a ton of tackles the last two weeks), but Greenway's struggles are physical.

* That said, the fact that we have to play nickel defense so much hurts our run defense. We could really use a MIKE that Zim is comfortable leaving on the field to play pass coverage. Would help our run defense so much.

* Offensive line played somewhat, kinda, sorta better. Ted is learning to get the ball out of his hands quicker, as well, though.

* Joe Banyard was awesome. Great burst.

* Harrison Smith was all over the place. We are lucky to have one of the best safeties in the NFL playing for us.

This Week

Panthers coming to the Bank. We should be able to beat this team. I don't have time to go into detail, but I will make up for it next week, maybe I'll do a film cut up thread.

Key Players to Contain - Panthers Offense

* Cam Newton (QB)

* Kelvin Benjamin (WR)

* Greg Olsen (TE)

Key Players to Neutralize - Panthers Defense

* Luke Kuechly (LB)

* Charles Johnson (DE)

* Thomas Davis (LB)

Here are the enemy fan forums for this week:

Official Message Board

http://boards.panthers.com/forums/9-Panther-Talk

Panther Fanz

http://www.panthersfanz.com/forums/inde ... owforum=56

Football's Future

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/v ... m.php?f=10

Carolina Huddle

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/boards/fo ... -panthers/

What they're saying:
Starting to think the losing streak has to end at some point. The Vikings are playing good football though, I think this will be a pretty good match up the Vikings held there own against a powerful Green Bay team yesterday. We will be returning some players this week Tolbert being one of the big ones. Chandler going to IR isn't going to be that big of a factor. Still liking Norwell & Turner and the middle of the line. Defense seems to be playing better the last month or so. We haven't been good after bye's under Rivera is one of my worries.

If we can establish a run game of any kind I like our chances in this one. With Philly's increased roll in the offense playing opposite of KB I think will be a positive. I think I will go with the Panthers again even though I have been wrong a lot this year. We should have beat Atlanta a week ago now we have the hard road of going on the road for 60% of the rest of the schedule. Crossing my fingers this is the week they will turn things around and get something going. The Panthers having what appears on paper to be the weaker of the 5 game stretches to finish out the year in the South.

I think if we can get some wins it will be curious how that tie will either effect our chances positively or negatively towards the end of this race to win the worst division in the NFL this year. As for me I still hope playoffs even if we would get blown out of the first round but until we are numerically out of the race still rooting for this team to do well. Going to be hard with match ups in both the Georgia Dome & Superdome looming though. Anyways crossing fingers for a win and to get on a roll to finish out the year.
This game will break up the losses, but then it'll be all downhill from there
Yesterday (Sunday) I started watching the Vikings against the Packers when suddenly the Vikings had 3rd and 32 deep in Packers territory and the supposed GURU of offensive coordinators Norv Turner called for a running play. All of a sudden I thought I was watching the Panthers for a minute there. Accidently clicking on the Vikings can't be any worse than purposely clicking on the Panthers. I don't know who to root for, I'm a fan of both teams. Yes, I'm admitting it.

I'd like to know why Brandon La Fell all of a sudden can catch just about anything thrown his way, and last year he was a bust?
Guys it hurts so bad I can't stand it. I have never seen a coaching staff in one year destroy a team so fast that everyone wants to jump ship.

How many teams ever been 3-7-1 is s till in the hunt for a playoff spot. It's ludicrous.

Man Mike Ditka and Buddy Ryan from the Chicago Bears era Mike Shula and HC Mike Smith were with the Jags. Ron River and Leslie Frazier DC of the Bucs played together on the Bears. Ron & Rex Ryan is riding on the coat tails of their Dad Buddy Ryan, Just like Mike and David Shula did with their dad Don Shula.

Ron Rivera and Sean McDermott coached together with the Eagles. Ron Rivera was HC Lovie Smiths DC with the Bears.

Norv Turner is in here some where I have to go back along with Cam Cameron.

Then When Mike Smith and Shula was with the Jags the HC or OC one came from the NYG's and that is part of the System that the NYG's went away from and we are trying to get Cam to do.

If there were ever a receipt for disaster for coaches this is it.

I laughed so hard watching the Falcons games and wit h44 seconds left I be dang if Mike Smith didn't pull the exact same thing Rivera did by not going for a first down against the Browns. Browns had 3 times out left and marched right down the field and won.

Then watching the Patriots Game Belichick never took the foot off the gas and made the Detroit lions Center mad and he tired a knee cut on the last play during a kneel down. Sure Brady could have knelt down 3 times, but why get your team use t oit headed into the playoff end of the schedule. Turn up the heat.

That is why or one reason why I like and Hate Belichick. He can humiliate a team like that or he can build his team to never let up until the clock hits 0:00. That's why I respect him, because it's all about the Win!

Panther loose to an embarrassment by the Vikings. Captain Munnerlyn will look great for leaving. I believe Munnerlyn will get an interception. Rivera is going t o put his boy Presley in and Munnerlyn IMO will make him pay. Munnerlyn is faster than Presley and he matches up well. Brown will give Munnerlyn all he wants and that will be interesting. I have no idea who will be covering KB & Olsen.

It won't matter because the game plan is to run the ball. Tolbert, Stewart & Delo. Fozzy might get to hold the clip board.
I picked the Vike's. I was born there but not the reason. Shula and Rivera are easier to read for an opposing team than the Sunday comics. They already know what we are going to do offensively so it doesn't matter if we had the #1 Defense when you can't put points on the board. 28-10 Vikings.
I think the bye week will result in great things for this team. Extra time to prepare and for Cam to heal up more. The defense has played better as of late, if we can get offensive production like the 4th quarter vs the falcons we're in business. I expect cam to come out and be able to move better, run more, avoid the pressure better thanks to him healing up some. Panthers win this one 24-20 and take over 1st place in the division thanks to the steelers handling the saints and the cardinals beating the falcons. Leveon bell will run all over the saints resulting in a steelers win. The arizona D is good enough and the falcons D is bad enough to give the cardinals the edge. IMO! GO PANTHERS!
After watching the last couple of weeks, the South is a battle of who will be the best of probably the worst offensive lines in the NFL in the final stretch of the season. Whichever team can protect there QB the most in the coming weeks will win this division because there isn't a single good offensive line in the South.

Atlanta, New Orleans, and Tampa are all going through the same issues we are with there offensive lines. Not only is Cam getting slaughtered but Brees and Ryan are as well. As you can see with Brees and Ryan as examples without offensive lines even good quarterbacks look average or we wouldn't still be anywhere close in this race for the division.

We still got some key contributors on the defense and are getting some players healthy, Star should be back maybe next week and then we will get Bene back this game. Frank Alexander may not make the impact we thought but every bit helps and he should be off his suspension soon as long as he doesn't get suspended again. Maybe the move to give Philly more snaps will help offensively, I thought Philly has his best game back when we played Pittsburgh as a wide receiver. Getting Tolbert back may help some in the run game.

Not saying it makes any difference at all, these guys could get healthy and we still play terrible but it is something to be hopeful for even though we all know this team is bad. It won't change the play calling but crossing fingers these guys returning helps some.

Like I said before not giving up on this year until we are numerically out of the race, I understand some wanna tank the season to get people fired and get a high pick. I don't like thinking that way while I will get negative about moves, decisions, play calling, or how we are playing I would wanna see us in the playoffs and in the post season for consecutive years even if it was by winning by far the worst division in football in 2014.

I think Shula is gone regardless of the results or if we end up in the playoffs somehow this year. There is no sweeping under the rug how poorly the offensive play calling has been but I think that is probably it unless some assistants under him are fired at the end of the season. I don't see them moving on from Rivera this year maybe next if we have a repeat season but not this year, if they do I will be a little surprised.
Well yeah I want loose and I was the most optimistic person on here at the beginning of the year. We still have the talent on the roster to be a winning team. I'm still pumped up about it.

It would only take using Webb and put Presley back on the PS and pull Hill up to the 53 man roster. Did anyone pay attention when Webb caught the one pass he caught and was targeted. 3 defenders on him and still caught it and got a defensive pass interference. Hasn't played again. Yet Rivera wanted Presley.

So with coaching like this it's exactly why I want to loose the rest of the games and get rid of Rivera and Shula. Shula's play calling is enough to get him fired. Rivera blunders as a HC with putting the best player on the field or knowing the rules of the game. Or being able to know to keeping going when your offense is hot and not pull the rug out from your QB with 1:31 left on the clock.

Rivera needs to go, because he is not HC material. I think Steve Smith's Pep talk with the team last year is what turned the season not Rivera's coaching and it shows.

We loose this one. Why because the Viking lost 24-21 and the Packers mopped the floor with us. Panthers 17 Packers 38.
I have to pick the Vikings, but it's certainly a winnable game. The Vikings actually hung with the Packers and they did it by covering their receivers one on one to get pressure. I'm not sure that will be the game plan against us but if so this will be a huge test for whoever comes in to play 3rd WR. If we do win I think we do it with defense.
Go Vikes!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: This Week's Enemy Fan Forums: The Carolina Panthers

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Man their fans aren't too confident :lol:

24-10 win for the Vikes :rock:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

What would it be like to be a fan of a team that could, by beating the Vikings, take over first place in a division with a direct line to hosting a playoff game ... with a 4-7-1 record?

Ah, the weirdness that is the NFL this year.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:What would it be like to be a fan of a team that could, by beating the Vikings, take over first place in a division with a direct line to hosting a playoff game ... with a 4-7-1 record?

Ah, the weirdness that is the NFL this year.
Holy moly! I had to recheck the standings to see if your were serious. I didn't know the NFC South was THAT bad.

Well, if there's any NFL team that the Panthers could beat and do exactly what you're saying, I'm afraid it's the hot and cold Vikings.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I'll pick the Good Guys, but I'm not as confident as I wish I was.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

The Panthers made a huge mistake getting rid of Steve Smith ... the guy has a warriors heart
most recievers do not .. Like Boldin ... I want reciever's that own their space on the field and fight
for the ball
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

The saints are playing the steelers in pittsburb on their way to another loss so there is a lot at stake for the panthers. They will be up for us. I highly doubt we will win another game this year
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

losperros wrote: Holy moly! I had to recheck the standings to see if your were serious. I didn't know the NFC South was THAT bad.

Well, if there's any NFL team that the Panthers could beat and do exactly what you're saying, I'm afraid it's the hot and cold Vikings.
And since New Orleans plays at Pittsburgh and Atlanta plays Arizona, it's a distinct possibility that both could lose.

Even weirder ... if the Vikings win, New Orleans and Atlanta lose, and Tampa Bay somehow upsets Cincinnati, the Bucs will be a game out of first at 3-9.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

This could end up being a Bubby Brister/Sean Salisbury 6-3 sleeper. But hey, the Vikings won that game.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Laserman wrote:The saints are playing the steelers in pittsburb on their way to another loss so there is a lot at stake for the panthers. They will be up for us. I highly doubt we will win another game this year
Hope not. Love to get the top player at a position in the draft! An elite WR or MLB prospect would be awesome.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Demi wrote: Hope not. Love to get the top player at a position in the draft! An elite WR or MLB prospect would be awesome.
You mean like CJ Mosely? Who is the 6th ranked tackler in the league as a rookie. Barr is 46th. Borland is up there as well, ahead of Barr, not same position though. I think we had plenty of opportunities to draft him. And Barr is the top Vikings tackler.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

CbusVikesFan wrote: You mean like CJ Mosely? Who is the 6th ranked tackler in the league as a rookie. Barr is 46th. Borland is up there as well, ahead of Barr, not same position though. I think we had plenty of opportunities to draft him. And Barr is the top Vikings tackler.
You have to be kidding me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

CbusVikesFan wrote: You mean like CJ Mosely? Who is the 6th ranked tackler in the league as a rookie. Barr is 46th. Borland is up there as well, ahead of Barr, not same position though. I think we had plenty of opportunities to draft him. And Barr is the top Vikings tackler.
I'll always take the higher pick. Trade down and take someone. If front office can't do the job it doesn't matter where you pick, but picking ahead of other teams will still help. And with bad GMing doesn't matter either way.

The picks from that RGIII trade would have been nice if we hadn't won that Redskins game. Etc. We're in the middle/early stages of rebuild. We need talent. Chances are better (or should be) if you're picking higher. Time to lose out! :smilevike:
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I'd rather our team show a backbone than lay over in hopes of some rookie fixing all of their problems.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

DKSweets wrote:I'd rather our team show a backbone than lay over in hopes of some rookie fixing all of their problems.
Amen to that.

Every year about this time, the tank talk starts up in earnest. Of course, that's an unfortunate byproduct of consistent losing seasons, but it still doesn't sit well with me. I don't watch the games going, "C'mon Packers, beat the snot out of us!"
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.