Vikings claim Ben Tate

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings claim Ben Tate

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Demi wrote: I like McKinnon. But he's more of a change of pace, third down, receiving, scat back type. Tate is an every down player. He can do it all. Just not great. Not the type of player I'm a fan of, but with what we have now I think overall he's an upgrade.
Ok yeah thanks for clarifying that. I agree as well. I really like the way McKinnon runs between the tackles though. I would like to see him continue to receive more carries. However, Tate fits the mold better. Even though our line has struggled this year, they are usually pretty good in the run game. Maybe Tate could make some noise here. It would be a nice signing if so.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

After watching some highlights of Tate, one thing I do notice about him is his ability to find holes and make guys miss. He's not the fastest RB in the world, but he hits the hole hard. I hope he can revive his career here. Could be the waiver pickup of the year.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
sneaxsneax
Veteran

Post by sneaxsneax »

I have had him in fantasy for a while now, picked him up while injured and sat on him. He has been a major disappointment for me. I don't really watch browns games but he had a few games this year where he ran for negative yards. I'm not expecting a whole lot.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

For a team that needs every possession, can the Vikings really afford Tate?
though it should be noted that Tate fumbled once every 45.25 carries last season, the third-worst fumble rate among qualifying running backs).
How Ben Tate fits with the Vikings
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

Cliff wrote:Funnily, Ben Tate just left a situation where he was frustrated with not getting enough touches in a 3-back rotation.

I'd guess he might have a different perspective having just been cut. I have to wonder if he's healthy, maybe hurt but keeping quiet as to not lose ground in the Cleveland RB hierarchy race. Was he even healthy last season? He didn't have much burst when he had a shot last year. He's been most successful as a 1 cut and go slash back, we'll have to see how that style plays out here. I think he'll probably eventually be 3rd in the pecking order here.
This space available for rent.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

sneaxsneax wrote:I have had him in fantasy for a while now, picked him up while injured and sat on him. He has been a major disappointment for me. I don't really watch browns games but he had a few games this year where he ran for negative yards. I'm not expecting a whole lot.
Well I've experienced this as well but not with Tate. I have Terrance West in two leagues. He's been up and down as well. Tate started off the year pretty decent and then went in the tank and was splitting carries half the time. However, just because he struggled in Cleveland as of late, I don't necessarily believe he will struggle here. Ever since he was in the league I've always said he was the "best backup RB'" in the NFL. By no means am I saying he will explode here or anything like that, but to dismiss his talent because of how he played in CLE isn't really fair. I think he has a shot to be a good back for us. Its just wait and see at this point.
-Chazz Palminteri
London Viking
Practice Squad

Post by London Viking »

We've been spoilt having the best back in the game for the past 5+ years and anyone who comes in is going to be compared to AP and we will want similar results unfortunately we're not going to get them with Tate.

We need to move on from the AP mind set and get more realistic with expectations for our backs..... :(

Would still love AP to play one more year with us...he can't go out like this
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

We need to move on from the AP mind set and get more realistic with expectations for our backs.....
We're about to enter an era reminciscent of those years in the first part of the 2000's when it seemed like there was a new lead back every successive season. They were all fairly promising, but in the end, fell off. You remember:

Michael Bennett, Moe Williams, Onterrio Smith, Mewelde Moore, Chester Taylor...

Gosh, I hope not.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

PacificNorseWest wrote: We're about to enter an era reminciscent of those years in the first part of the 2000's when it seemed like there was a new lead back every successive season. They were all fairly promising, but in the end, fell off. You remember:

Michael Bennett, Moe Williams, Onterrio Smith, Mewelde Moore, Chester Taylor...

Gosh, I hope not.
I think each of those backs did pretty well actually.

Michael Bennett: A few 1000 yard seasons. Maybe didn't live up to high draft pick.
Moe Williams: Never supposed to be an every down back and he was arguable one of our best 3rd down and receiving backs ever.
Onterrio Smith: Super talented and had some flashes. Unfortunately had a big flash in the media.
Mewelde Moore: Traded to Pitt before we knew how good he could be on MN.
Chester Taylor: Great couple seasons until AD came here and then, obviously, got replaced by AD.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Yeah, that's what I mean. The shelf life of an NFL RB is very short. A lot of backs show promise, but fizzle out in the end. Tate has shown promise, but can never stay healthy.

Vikings fans have been a bit spoiled by not only having the same RB for 7 straight seasons, but also the fact that he's one of the best all-time.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

Robert Smith was a great RB! also a great teammate, pretty good pass blocker and dangerous receiver............
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Robert Smith was the best.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Chestor Taylor did great he just wasn't A.P.

mewelde Moore never got a real shot IMO....

Honestly our OL is a way bigger concern than who we have running the ball IMO
unless Barry Sanders or another A.P. shows up .... no running back is going to do well
with out swiss cheese blocking line
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

I loved Mewelde Moore, he was my favorite player for a few years. Wish he had been given more of an opportunity
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

From ESPN article:

"In claiming Tate, the Vikings owe him $352,941 for 2014 in guaranteed base salary, plus another $46,875 for each game that he is on the 46-man game day roster. His 2015 salary is not guaranteed."

....very cheap. As I said before, low risk high reward type player
-Chazz Palminteri