Vikings claim Ben Tate

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

losperros
Commissioner

Re: Vikings claim Ben Tate

Post by losperros »

PacificNorseWest wrote:They picked him up because he was low risk, high reward. You don't just throw him in there because fans are tired of seeing a certain player. You think Tate bodes well for their developing rookie quarterback if Tate is still learning blocking assignments and blitz pickups in Norvs offense? It's more than just ypc that go into a decision like this.
There is no doubt that Asiata is the better all-around RB among the three. I understand the coaches trusting him.

That said, I would love to see Banyard get more touches. He seems to have some explosiveness in him.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I would too.
flatman
Waterboy

Post by flatman »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Is he better at RB then Asiata? Or did they just pick him up for injuries? Hopefully he's good at screen passes, because if Norv doesn't have a lot of those in mind, I don't think he will be here long.
From what I've seen from Matt Asiata he just might be another (beast mode) in disguise. I'd like to see them just make him the bell cow one time and see what happens. I'll bet after 25 carries he will then get his stride and really be good.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

flatman wrote: From what I've seen from Matt Asiata he just might be another (beast mode) in disguise. I'd like to see them just make him the bell cow one time and see what happens. I'll bet after 25 carries he will then get his stride and really be good.
I'm sorry but I can't see that at all. He's a hard runner but thats it. He had 20 carries vs. ATL who has a terrible run defense and only put up 72 yards. Thats still a 3.9 YPC which is not good at all. He can make a guy miss if his life depended on it. I like the guy and he works hard but he is far from a starting caliber running back on any team
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
maembe
Franchise Player

Post by maembe »

flatman wrote: From what I've seen from Matt Asiata he just might be another (beast mode) in disguise. I'd like to see them just make him the bell cow one time and see what happens. I'll bet after 25 carries he will then get his stride and really be good.
I can't tell if you're being serious or not.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

You don't just throw him in there because fans are tired of seeing a certain player.
You know why fans are tired of seeing him? Because he isn't any good. Because he hasn't improved, at all. And because he had a terrible game and you just signed a veteran back.
From what I've seen from Matt Asiata he just might be another (beast mode) in disguise. I'd like to see them just make him the bell cow one time and see what happens. I'll bet after 25 carries he will then get his stride and really be good.
Shouldn't you be game planning Norv?...
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Hey, Matt Asiata's father is on the Board! Welcome! :thumbsup:
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Matt seems effective in goal line power sets only to me.

He just does not have the burst he needs in the NFL IMO.
I think he works hard, but running backs in the NFL have to be
quick. You can't run over most defenders, in this league. They are
just too strong and talented.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

I like Banyard's cut back ability and his quickness to the hole, from what I have seen. Mostly from the past couple preseasons. I think there should be some good plays to call for him. Let's get him more in the mix.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
Grashopa
Franchise Player

Post by Grashopa »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Hey, Matt Asiata's father is on the Board! Welcome! :thumbsup:
But his father is dead :|
Formerly AADPFan
mmvikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by mmvikes »

losperros wrote: There is no doubt that Asiata is the better all-around RB among the three. I understand the coaches trusting him.

That said, I would love to see Banyard get more touches. He seems to have some explosiveness in him.
I agree losperros.
Although Banyard looks to be a bit more explosive as a runner, I think Norv has much more faith in Asiata than Banyard or Tate at this point to protect Teddy in the passing game. Asiata also had some productive plays earlier in the season on swing passes or as an outlet for Teddy. I am not saying I would not like to see more carries for the other guys. But I can understand where Norv is coming from. That said, it sounfs like Zimmer would like to see more from the other guys also as he mentioned in his post game presser, he thought Asiata may have had too many carries.
flatman
Waterboy

Post by flatman »

Grashopa wrote: But his father is dead :|
Okay, okay, I stand corrected. It was just an opinion, but I bet I'm old enough to be his father. Hell I used to say Chuck Foreman was good too...lol