PHP's "All-Out" Full Mock Offseason

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: PHP's "All-Out" Full Mock Offseason

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

DKSweets wrote:I've pretty much decided that we should go with BPA between CB, MLB, or LT/LG. I think a possession receiver would be nice, but lately teams have been able to find some pretty solid receivers in the second and third rounds. I think the thing that would help Teddy the most would be to keep him safe (O-Line) and keep the games low scoring (dominant defense) to keep the pressure off of him to need to score a bunch of points. In both cases, it would keep him from pressing and let him gain confidence. He already has some serviceable weapons, especially if Rudolph can stay healthy next season.

That's just my opinion, though.
I agree. If Cooper is there when we pick, I think it's a must pick however he's really the only WR I would take really early. Maybe Parker but I'm guessing Parker won't go until late first early second so Spielmen could definitely snag him in a trade up.

As for MLB, this isn't the greatest class. The top 2 are Benardrick McKinney (Miss St.) and Denzel Perryman (Miami). I like both of them, especially Perryman but neither are early picks IMO. McKinney is projected anywhere from middle 1st to early 2nd. Perryman is late first to late second as of right now. I'm sure a lot will change come draft day but I think we could wait until rounds 2-3 for a MLB. Maybe even 4.

Offensive line and CB are my big 2 right now with WR not far behind. Peat (OT Stanford) is probably the top offensive lineman but I'm not big on going tackle because Kalil has been playing better, he's still young, and I would like to see a legitimate guard next to him. Offensive line is the one position I think we will pass on in free agency. We will still find offensive line depth in free agency but I can't see us making any splashes simply because from Sully down to Phil, all have pretty hefty contracts. We need another young guy in there which is why Brandon Scherff out of Iowa is who I would want. He's currently playing LT at Iowa however he is only 6'5 and projects as a better guard in the NFL. He's a mauler in the run game and has a mean streak. His pass protection has been so so but it's believed he would be much better in at guard because he won't catch those speed rushers nearly as often. Scherffs biggest thing that sticks out to me is his versatility. If Kalil was to go down, we could shift him over and put a guy like Berger or another backup in at guard. You can move him all over the line and that is something I think we could really benefit from.

As for CB, the top ones on my list are Trae Waynes (Mich St.), Jalen Collins (LSU) and Kevin Johnson (Wake Forest). The only bad thing is, Waynes and Collins are both underclassmen and have yet to declare so I'm not sure if they are even coming out. Either way, all 3 are over 6'0 and are physical press man CBs. Waynes is easily my #1 choice if he comes out. Johnson would be my 2nd choice and Collins 3rd.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I agree. If Cooper is there when we pick, I think it's a must pick however he's really the only WR I would take really early. Maybe Parker but I'm guessing Parker won't go until late first early second so Spielmen could definitely snag him in a trade up.

As for MLB, this isn't the greatest class. The top 2 are Benardrick McKinney (Miss St.) and Denzel Perryman (Miami). I like both of them, especially Perryman but neither are early picks IMO. McKinney is projected anywhere from middle 1st to early 2nd. Perryman is late first to late second as of right now. I'm sure a lot will change come draft day but I think we could wait until rounds 2-3 for a MLB. Maybe even 4.

Offensive line and CB are my big 2 right now with WR not far behind. Peat (OT Stanford) is probably the top offensive lineman but I'm not big on going tackle because Kalil has been playing better, he's still young, and I would like to see a legitimate guard next to him. Offensive line is the one position I think we will pass on in free agency. We will still find offensive line depth in free agency but I can't see us making any splashes simply because from Sully down to Phil, all have pretty hefty contracts. We need another young guy in there which is why Brandon Scherff out of Iowa is who I would want. He's currently playing LT at Iowa however he is only 6'5 and projects as a better guard in the NFL. He's a mauler in the run game and has a mean streak. His pass protection has been so so but it's believed he would be much better in at guard because he won't catch those speed rushers nearly as often. Scherffs biggest thing that sticks out to me is his versatility. If Kalil was to go down, we could shift him over and put a guy like Berger or another backup in at guard. You can move him all over the line and that is something I think we could really benefit from.

As for CB, the top ones on my list are Trae Waynes (Mich St.), Jalen Collins (LSU) and Kevin Johnson (Wake Forest). The only bad thing is, Waynes and Collins are both underclassmen and have yet to declare so I'm not sure if they are even coming out. Either way, all 3 are over 6'0 and are physical press man CBs. Waynes is easily my #1 choice if he comes out. Johnson would be my 2nd choice and Collins 3rd.
I am just curious and too lazy to check but I am interested in how you fared with last years PHP mock draft. How many picks did you hit on for the Vikings and did you predict any free agency signings correct? I ask because it appears as though you spend quite a bit of time and energy preparing them.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Purple bruise wrote: I am just curious and too lazy to check but I am interested in how you fared with last years PHP mock draft. How many picks did you hit on for the Vikings and did you predict any free agency signings correct? I ask because it appears as though you spend quite a bit of time and energy preparing them.
I've made quite a few mocks over the past three years. I know that some of the players I was correct on were Kalil (which was fairly easy anyways), I might have had Harrison on one but I can't remember, Patterson for sure, Floyd (although I had us drafting him in the 2nd before he shot up draft boards), Hodges (although I had us taking him in the 5th instead of the 4th, David Yankey (I had us taking him way earlier then we did, rounds 2-3 maybe?). As for the draft this past year, I whiffed pretty bad outside of Yankey.

I think I was too use to the Leslie Frazier regime this past offseason and kept predicting us to draft Mosely which would have fit that scheme well because he can cover and play the run. Where as, in Zimmers scheme, Barr was the much better fit because he is used to rush the passer, is rangy, can cover, is quick on the outside, etc. James Harrison played a similar role to Barr last year for Zimmer and I knew we didn't have a pass rushing LB so that's why I should have figured Barr but for whatever reason, it never crossed my mind. I just kept saying Mosely over and over again. It makes me mad that I didn't think of this last year because it should have been very obvious to me. As for Teddy, I kept mocking that we would take Carr last year simply because I never thought Teddy would make it to us. So yeah I definitely whiffed last year :lol: At least I got the positions right just not the players. Now I think I have a little better idea of Zimmers scheme and Norvs offense. The coaching transition really messed me up :D I have noticed a lot of players I have the Vikings draft in my mocks that end up going to other teams have pretty good years. One that sticks out to me is Chris Borland. I had either Borland or Mosely on every mock last year. Another few were LaMarcus Joyner who is playing well for the Rams, Telvin Smith who's been a beast for Jacksonville, and Timmy Jernigan for Baltimore who has been solid. I'm spotting the talent pretty well, just missing on the players sometimes.

As for free agency, I know I hit on Joseph in my footballs future mock and I hit on Greg Jennings the year before on multiple ones. Funny thing was, the same year I hit on Jennings, I had us signing Captain Munnerlyn. Then Carolina resigns him for 1 year and now we signed him this year haha. I'm usually pretty close on who we re-sign and let go for in house guys as well.

As I always say, a teams offseason is impossible to predict or even get half of it right for that matter. I really enjoy doing it. It's my favorite time of the year because I can't wait to see who we can get. It's like Christmas in March-May. Spielman always said the same thing....it's his favorite time of year and I feel the same way. Even though I'm not overly accurate, I have definitely hit on my fair share of signings and picks over the years
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

This gets me really excited..

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -march-10/

Hot stove alert: Free agency begins March 10
Dislike your favorite team’s roster? Take heart: By St. Patrick’s Day, it could be much, much different.

The 2015 NFL league year will begin Tuesday, March 10, the NFL disclosed Wednesday as it released the opening portion of its annual calendar.

With the new league year comes the start of unrestricted free agency, one of the primary ways for clubs to procure talent. Even then, at the outset, the market will be somewhat thinned; teams must declare their transition and franchise free agents by Monday, March 2. The fight for the remaining free agents will begin in earnest on Saturday, March 7, with teams allowed to begin negotiating with agents.

Then, at 4 p.m. Eastern on the 10th, the market will open, and deals will quickly be announced.

By March 17 — three months from today — things will have cooled down. Some deals will remain undone, but the big ones will be in the books. A nation of football fans will wear more green than usual and ponder which of the pre-draft chatter is legit and which is junk.

About the 2015 NFL Draft: it kicks off Thursday, April 30 in Chicago. By the time it wraps up on Saturday, May 2, we will have a very good idea of where these teams stand.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

frosted wrote:This gets me really excited..

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -march-10/

Hot stove alert: Free agency begins March 10
You and me both....it's my favorite time of year!!!
-Chazz Palminteri
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Also, Todd McShay just released his first mock draft today. It's behind the Insider pay wall, but luckily I have Insider ... He has the Vikings (11th overall pick) selecting:

Cedric Ogbuehi - Minnesota Vikings (6-8)
COLLEGE: Texas A&M Class: Sr HT: 6-5 WT: 300 POS: OT

Analysis: This is probably a little earlier than Ogbuehi should go based on where I have him graded right now, due to some of his inconsistencies this season, but offensive tackles with his talent have a tendency to rise during the draft process and don't last long on the board. He needs to become more polished, but he has size, long arms and quick feet, and he'd upgrade the Vikings at right tackle.

Of note..he has Amari Cooper going 6th to the Jets. DeVante Parker going 13th to the Texans.

EDIT: I don't know how I'd feel about this pick. I like Phil, and I don't really know what to do with Kalil. But, I wouldn't really be in favor of taking a tackle here when there is so much top notch talent still on the board.
Last edited by frosted on Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

McShay has us reaching for a replacement for Loadholt? That would go over well, I'm sure.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Reaching for a tackle. :rofl:
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

frosted wrote:Also, Todd McShay just released his first mock draft today. It's behind the Insider pay wall, but luckily I have Insider ... He has the Vikings (11th overall pick) selecting:

Analysis: This is probably a little earlier than Ogbuehi should go based on where I have him graded right now, due to some of his inconsistencies this season, but offensive tackles with his talent have a tendency to rise during the draft process and don't last long on the board. He needs to become more polished, but he has size, long arms and quick feet, and he'd upgrade the Vikings at right tackle.

Of note..he has Amari Cooper going 6th to the Jets. DeVante Parker going 13th to the Texans.

EDIT: I don't know how I'd feel about this pick. I like Phil, and I don't really know what to do with Kalil. But, I wouldn't really be in favor of taking a tackle here when there is so much top notch talent still on the board.
Ehhhhh. Not so sure I would want to take a tackle that is inconsistent and needs work... Really doesn't sound like a good investment on our part.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

frosted wrote:Also, Todd McShay just released his first mock draft today. It's behind the Insider pay wall, but luckily I have Insider ... He has the Vikings (11th overall pick) selecting:

His knowledge of the Vikings is obviously clueless. RT hasn't been a need for this team since Phil was drafted. He just probably knows we have offensive line issues but has no idea what our current personal looks like. I think my mocks have been more accurate than his :lol:
-Chazz Palminteri
Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Post by Husker Vike »

Appreciate the work you put in doing this, but I've watched Scherff a couple of times, don't know that he'd transition to the pass heavy NFL. I mean he is a beast in the run game ,but I think he'd be vulnerable against a quality speed rusher. We .have to get a bigger corner back than Josh Robinson, or at least a more talented one.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Husker Vike wrote:Appreciate the work you put in doing this, but I've watched Scherff a couple of times, don't know that he'd transition to the pass heavy NFL. I mean he is a beast in the run game ,but I think he'd be vulnerable against a quality speed rusher. We .have to get a bigger corner back than Josh Robinson, or at least a more talented one.
Thanks!! Regarding Scherff, that's why I mentioned him playing guard for us. Everything I see says he will probably be a guard in the NFL and thats exactly what we need on this team is a LG.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Seahawks signed WLB K.J. Wright to a four-year, $27 million contract extension through 2018.
The No. 99 overall pick of the 2011 draft, Wright was headed to the open market. Excellent in coverage and solid against the run, Wright has been an every-down player this season, racking up 96 tackles and two sacks. The Seahawks love his length at 6-foot-4, 250 pounds. Seattle has done an excellent job of locking up the core of its 2013 championship team. Wright is only 25.

NOOOOOOOOO :cry: :cry: :cry:
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Another big reason I want Brandon Scherff....he is very similar to Zack Martin out of Notre Dame. Martin was a OT at ND and then made the switch to OG this year for the Cowboys and has been far and away the best lineman in that class. Not saying that's what Scherff will turn into but they have very similar playing styles and would have both been undersized if they were to play LT in the NFL.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

We may not need an OT for either side as much as we thought. Kalil is doing better, Phil had been doing better till he got hurt. No way do we go Oline first pick. Or RB. I think we go WR. Whether Cooper or Parker is there remains to be seen. But White is also interesting. But if we are going for the biggest bang for the buck on offense, its WR, through the draft, or FA. What we can (or cant do) with AD is the big question with what we do next, but imho we go Cobb (MN) either way. That would leave some good picks left for CB, LB, and Oline. The more I watch of Parker again, man, he can reach for and fight for the high ball. And we have a high fast ball pitcher in Teddy.