Zimmer, Vikings will remain patient with Patterson

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

losperros
Commissioner

Re: Zimmer, Vikings will remain patient with Patterson

Post by losperros »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:CP is nothing but a disappointment. And as Ive said before, I wish we had waited a few rounds, and taken his teammate Justin Hunter. Just like I wanted Mett (even if we got Teddy) and wanted Mallet more the #7. But I am straying. Simply, I want proven players at their one position, and maybe not the flash that the Vikings have been picking lately.
I'm glad the Vikings don't believe a WR must be at top form by his second year and aren't giving up on Patterson. Way too early.

As for Justin Hunter, Patterson had a more dynamic rookie year than Hunter. And he's scored the same amount of TDs this year as Hunter so far.

As it is, I'll take Patterson. The upside is obvious, in my view. It's time to play him to his strengths.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

As it is, I'll take Patterson. The upside is obvious, in my view. It's time to play him to his strengths.
I'm still not sure why they don't get him in the backfield more. I think a shotgun set with him and McKinnon in the backfield could cause some trouble for defenses. When was the last time they ran that "jet sweep" that the media loved to bring up. Seems like Norv just decided he's going to run his offense and personnel be damned.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Demi wrote: I'm still not sure why they don't get him in the backfield more. I think a shotgun set with him and McKinnon in the backfield could cause some trouble for defenses. When was the last time they ran that "jet sweep" that the media loved to bring up. Seems like Norv just decided he's going to run his offense and personnel be damned.
I've been thinking about the same things, Demi. Just can't figure it either. Maybe I'm expecting too much from Norv.

I absolutely hate lax offense for any reason.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

losperros wrote: I'm glad the Vikings don't believe a WR must be at top form by his second year and aren't giving up on Patterson. Way too early.

As for Justin Hunter, Patterson had a more dynamic rookie year than Hunter. And he's scored the same amount of TDs this year as Hunter so far.

CP 1st rd pick, and a lot more to get him at there. Hunter, 3 times the college exp. and gotten in the 3rd or 4th. Hunter has time to improve too. If CP cant rush the ball or do it on ST, he is a bust. Remember the Randy Ratio with Meathead? We need a CP raito just to see if Norv can get someone to hand him the ball. Cause he is not a good WR. He isn't a serviceable WR now. That could change in the 3rd year, or he could pull a Kalil.

How many of Hunters TDs were catching the ball? And CPs?
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

A little Patience is fine but by next year he should have a decent route tree down.
Patterson and Teddy need to do what Peyton and his guys did.. practice practice practice

Learn each others work so good, they can do it in their sleep.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
Hunter has 6 and CP has 5. Not much of a difference there.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Demi wrote: I'm still not sure why they don't get him in the backfield more. I think a shotgun set with him and McKinnon in the backfield could cause some trouble for defenses. When was the last time they ran that "jet sweep" that the media loved to bring up. Seems like Norv just decided he's going to run his offense and personnel be damned.
I'm with Demi here.
Zimmer has been as advertised, actually better. Really excited about the future of this team defensively. Add a couple secondary playmakers and look out ! Actually Greenway to MLB with Hodges and Barr outside makes sense.

Offensively, gotta open is things up.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: CP 1st rd pick, and a lot more to get him at there. Hunter, 3 times the college exp. and gotten in the 3rd or 4th. Hunter has time to improve too. If CP cant rush the ball or do it on ST, he is a bust. Remember the Randy Ratio with Meathead? We need a CP raito just to see if Norv can get someone to hand him the ball. Cause he is not a good WR. He isn't a serviceable WR now. That could change in the 3rd year, or he could pull a Kalil.

How many *total* TDs did Hunter score and how many did CP score? Here's how I see it. Scoring TDs does have an effect on the score, which has an effect on winning. I don't care at all how Patterson does it. If he is versatile and scores in different roles, I see nothing wrong with that. I do see something wrong with not giving him opportunities to do the things he CAN do.

Patterson certainly is no bust. Not to me, anyway. Giving him less than two seasons to be a stud WR simply doesn't make sense to me, especially since he can be a weapon in multiple ways. YMMV
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

losperros wrote: How many *total* TDs did Hunter score and how many did CP score? Here's how I see it. Scoring TDs does have an effect on the score, which has an effect on winning. I don't care at all how Patterson does it. If he is versatile and scores in different roles, I see nothing wrong with that. I do see something wrong with not giving him opportunities to do the things he CAN do.

Patterson certainly is no bust. Not to me, anyway. Giving him less than two seasons to be a stud WR simply doesn't make sense to me, especially since he can be a weapon in multiple ways. YMMV
Good post. I agree. This is similar to people on here giving Teddy 6 games and then saying he's our problem, he's not any good, he's a bust, etc. It takes time people.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I wonder if Broncos fans gave up on Damaryius Thomas after 2 seasons in the NFL as well. Probably.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PacificNorseWest wrote:I wonder if Broncos fans gave up on Damaryius Thomas after 2 seasons in the NFL as well. Probably.
Good point. He was horrible his first 2 seasons
-Chazz Palminteri
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Have to cut the guy some slack catching balls from Kyle Orton and Tim Tebow.
But then, Patterson has had some pretty bad QBs so far too...
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

There's variables, sure. Looking back on Demaryius when he came into the draft, he had the same 'raw' label as Patterson and had to work on a lot of the same things. Specifically route running and the NFL route tree.

I'm sure Peyton Manning helped out considerably, but DT still made giant improvements to become the elite receiver he is. Given that the Vikings are breaking in Teddy, it might take even more patience for 1. each to excel on an individual level and 2. to then gel with eachother to optimize the both of their abilities. I was hoping this could happen quickly, but it's just not realistic. There's still time this season to help the process, but most of that probably starts to really hit its stride with the next offseason and beyond.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

CP isn't a rookie. Teddy is.
CP doesn't know his position well. How could he, he barely played it in college.
I only brought up Hunter as an example because they went to TN at the same time. How much did we spend on CP? And he is looking WORSE this year then last. At least last year he could return the ball. Now he cant even get open enough to catch a ball, we have to pick gimmick plays.

I don't want freaks of nature as draft picks. I want solid, know their position guys. Like Parker in Louisville. Cp doesn't look like he will ever live up to his draft pick, just like #7 never did.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleKoolaid wrote:CP isn't a rookie. Teddy is.
CP doesn't know his position well. How could he, he barely played it in college.
I only brought up Hunter as an example because they went to TN at the same time. How much did we spend on CP? And he is looking WORSE this year then last. At least last year he could return the ball. Now he cant even get open enough to catch a ball, we have to pick gimmick plays.

I don't want freaks of nature as draft picks. I want solid, know their position guys. Like Parker in Louisville. Cp doesn't look like he will ever live up to his draft pick, just like #7 never did.
I understand what you're saying but Mckinnon and Barr are those "freak" athletes and they've done pretty well so far
-Chazz Palminteri