Zimmer, Vikings will remain patient with Patterson

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Re: Zimmer, Vikings will remain patient with Patterson

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I understand what you're saying but Mckinnon and Barr are those "freak" athletes and they've done pretty well so far
Agreed. 2 out of 3 isn't bad. So lets not push our luck next draft. And I am doubting Mckinnon is our feature back next year.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Anyone else notice the heads up play CP made on the 2 point conversion? He was pointing for Bridgewater to throw to Johnson as they were both running their drag routes.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Anyone else notice the heads up play CP made on the 2 point conversion? He was pointing for Bridgewater to throw to Johnson as they were both running their drag routes.
Patterson also drew a flag on a 4th and 5, which gave the Vikings a 1st down. The Pack D respected him enough to hold him on the play. If they didn't, he would have outran his coverage.

I like the way CP used his body to shield the ball from a defender on a slant that Bridgewater threw to him. Patterson does that well and it really should be incorporated into the Vikings offense more often.

I thought he looked good on the two kick returns, too.

Some may really want to believe that Patterson is a bust for whatever reason. But I see no evidence for it. He's underused and not being utilized to his strengths, and I think it's glaringly obvious.

Who knows? Maybe that shows how subjective being a fan can be.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

losperros wrote: Patterson also drew a flag on a 4th and 5, which gave the Vikings a 1st down. The Pack D respected him enough to hold him on the play. If they didn't, he would have outran his coverage.

I like the way CP used his body to shield the ball from a defender on a slant that Bridgewater threw to him. Patterson does that well and it really should be incorporated into the Vikings offense more often.

I thought he looked good on the two kick returns, too.

Some may really want to believe that Patterson is a bust for whatever reason. But I see no evidence for it. He's underused and not being utilized to his strengths, and I think it's glaringly obvious.

Who knows? Maybe that shows how subjective being a fan can be.
I agree as well. As I posted in a previous thread, he has had 4 different offenses in the last 4 years. He has the hands, uses his body well, is an unbelievable athlete, etc. For a guy that was already labeled as raw....having to learn that many offenses must be tough. Now that Norv is here, I think as Patterson settles in this offense, we will see a lot of improvement. He showed flashes of it against Tampa Bay. We know the talent is there....it just has to be utilized correctly now.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

FOR NORV TURNER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1hV3Ldg61g

seriously, just get him the damn ball. :wallbang:
2greg
Waterboy

Post by 2greg »

It all comes down to year 3. Either work on your game hard in the offseason and improve or you move on.

I'd love him in the slot and a good receiver on the outside. Easier said than done though.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

I honestly believe that a legitimate #1 outside WR would take a ton of pressure off of CP. It would allow him to see a lot more 1 on 1 coverage vs what he sees now. CP as a #2 or even slot WR would be pretty dangerous IMO
-Chazz Palminteri
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

saint33 wrote:FOR NORV TURNER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1hV3Ldg61g

seriously, just get him the damn ball. :wallbang:
I absolutely agree!
Pondering Her Percy wrote:I honestly believe that a legitimate #1 outside WR would take a ton of pressure off of CP. It would allow him to see a lot more 1 on 1 coverage vs what he sees now. CP as a #2 or even slot WR would be pretty dangerous IMO
I agree here, too. Patterson doesn't have to be a #1 or #2 WR. Patterson just has to be Patterson. He makes big plays and scores TDs.

Admittedly, I don't know how healthy Patterson is right now. But when he's healthy, give him the ball. Musgrave found ways to use him, which means Turner can as well.
Bavarian
Waterboy

Post by Bavarian »

saint33 wrote:I know others have disagreed but I still believe that norv is limiting his production by simply not using his talents to their fullest potential. We all know how he has struggled as a route runner and getting off press coverage and that has been extremely disappointing. So I don't understand why continue to use him nearly exclusively in a traditional WR role. If he cannot function successfully as a tradition WR at this point and needs further development in that area, what is the harm in using him more as a gadget player, a role he was extremely successful at last year. It's not like our offense has been so efficient that there's no room for more gadget plays, in fact a change of pace could actuslly provide a spark for this offense. We currently lack any big play ability, despite the fact that when Patterson was given the ball consistently last season, he was probably the best big play threat in the league.

Just give him the damn ball norv, any way you can.... what is there to lose?
I'll be one of those who disagree. Norv knows the offense he wants to run and it doesn't involve bubble screens. It's predicated on spreading out the opponent and hitting the intermediate to deep throws first. To accomplish this, CP needs to run routes efficiently and effectively. There's no way around it. For future sustained success in running this offense, this MUST be accomplished. If CP can't do it, Johnson will most definitely take more snaps than he's done already.

It's not always the instantaneous glorification that is important, it's the sustained methodology to run the entire offense. Once you draw the safeties back, your running lanes open. This is what he did with Emmitt Thomas in Dallas and LT in San Diego. Norv likes big, fast WR's who command deep safety help.

Here's an article that speaks to that better than I do:

http://baltimoresportsandlife.com/balti ... system-go/

Hope this helps.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Bavarian wrote:I'll be one of those who disagree. Norv knows the offense he wants to run and it doesn't involve bubble screens.
Then why does Turner still use them? We've seen Wright and Johnson used this way. Wright can downright fly and so can Johnson, but so can Patterson and he's even more dangerous at creating yardage once the ball is in his hands.
Bavarian wrote:It's predicated on spreading out the opponent and hitting the intermediate to deep throws first. To accomplish this, CP needs to run routes efficiently and effectively. There's no way around it. For future sustained success in running this offense, this MUST be accomplished. If CP can't do it, Johnson will most definitely take more snaps than he's done already.
And you think Johnson is a precise route runner? Don't get me wrong, I really like both Johnson and Wright. Wright is a dangerous deep threat and should be used that way more often. Patterson can do it, too. He just needs to be used more often - period. And Norv has to be flexible enough to create those opportunities. That's his job.
Bavarian wrote:It's not always the instantaneous glorification that is important, it's the sustained methodology to run the entire offense. Once you draw the safeties back, your running lanes open. This is what he did with Emmitt Thomas in Dallas and LT in San Diego.
Maybe that's part of the problem. This isn't Dallas or San Diego back in the day. This is the Minnesota Vikings right here and NOW with the players that they have, including three very fast WRs in Wright, Johnson, and Patterson. And their most dangerous threat might just be Patterson - if he is healthy and gets utilized.
Bavarian wrote: Norv likes big, fast WR's who command deep safety help.
Then he'll love Patterson! :wink:
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Bavarian wrote:
I'll be one of those who disagree. Norv knows the offense he wants to run and it doesn't involve bubble screens. It's predicated on spreading out the opponent and hitting the intermediate to deep throws first. To accomplish this, CP needs to run routes efficiently and effectively. There's no way around it. For future sustained success in running this offense, this MUST be accomplished. If CP can't do it, Johnson will most definitely take more snaps than he's done already.

It's not always the instantaneous glorification that is important, it's the sustained methodology to run the entire offense. Once you draw the safeties back, your running lanes open. This is what he did with Emmitt Thomas in Dallas and LT in San Diego. Norv likes big, fast WR's who command deep safety help.

Here's an article that speaks to that better than I do:

http://baltimoresportsandlife.com/balti ... system-go/

Hope this helps.

If this is correct it might beg the question of whether they are putting CP84 in a position to succeed? I get that he needs to make the outside WR stuff part of his game, but is ignoring his abilities in the short game costing us? I think the latter question probably deserves some consideration. It stinks of forcing scheme vs. building around the talent that is there.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

You also need to consider that the deeper patterns require a bit of protection for the QB. Our OL hasnt been capable of that very often, even against the cellar dwellars of the NFL. Its Scary how much we have struggled this year considering that our schedual is one of the Easiest scheduals we have had for a decade! It could not have been any easier for us this year and we laid an egg. Next year is very likely going to be a far more demanding one.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

You also need to consider that the deeper patterns require a bit of protection for the QB. Our OL hasnt been capable of that very often, even against the cellar dwellars of the NFL. Its Scary how much we have struggled this year considering that our schedual is one of the Easiest scheduals we have had for a decade! It could not have been any easier for us this year and we laid an egg. Next year is very likely going to be a far more demanding one.
Yeah I have thought about that, a lot. This year half of our games should have been wins; with little, or no effort .. I'm guessing, with everything going right
(Peterson playing) (Cassel not getting injured)(OL playing better) we could have won 12 games possibly or more.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

jackal wrote: Yeah I have thought about that, a lot. This year half of our games should have been wins; with little, or no effort .. I'm guessing, with everything going right
(Peterson playing) (Cassel not getting injured)(OL playing better) we could have won 12 games possibly or more.
That's the case with every team in the league, though.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

yeah, look at Arizona....they have been absolutely decimated by injuries, yet they adapted, used their bench players to their maximum potential, and led their division. The Patriots always overcome injuries and have back ups ready to roll. Same with the Pack who have dealt with injuries incredibly well for many years.....its one of the MAIN reasons I see the Vikes as a second tier team. The top lvl organizations know how to coach up their non-starters and have them ready to step in. WE dont. YET......