Play calling

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Play calling

Post by Norv Zimmer »

Is it just me or does anyone else think the play calling has been pretty terrible all year. Where were the screens and slants against Chicago? I thought with norv at the helm we would have a more dynamic and non vanilla offense. It seems pretty basic to me, ten games into the season against a less than mediocre defense the offense should not be so basic where nothing gets done. Just my thoughts
indianation65
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Play calling

Post by indianation65 »

Terrible to mediocre...I concur!

...wisdom
...spirits in the wind and the trees
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Norv Zimmer wrote:Is it just me or does anyone else think the play calling has been pretty terrible all year. Where were the screens and slants against Chicago? I thought with norv at the helm we would have a more dynamic and non vanilla offense. It seems pretty basic to me, ten games into the season against a less than mediocre defense the offense should not be so basic where nothing gets done. Just my thoughts
It has been very suspect to say the least but when Teddy holds the ball and holds the ball and holds the ball and then throws a 3yd. pass when they need 7yds. to gain a first, then that definately impacts the game plan.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

teddy ponder?

did not look good at all today. I haven't seen much of him....but he has a a long way to go before i'm convinced hes the guy. comeback wins against crap teams they should not have have been trailing are not very convincing.

can't say if it's playcalling, TB's decisions, the o-line, crappy WRs.....or some combination of all those things, but this is the same movie been played for several seasons now.

if we somehow got a shot at Mariota, I'd pull the trigger.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

The Breeze wrote:teddy ponder?

did not look good at all today. I haven't seen much of him....but he has a a long way to go before i'm convinced hes the guy. comeback wins against crap teams they should not have have been trailing are not very convincing.

can't say if it's playcalling, TB's decisions, the o-line, crappy WRs.....or some combination of all those things, but this is the same movie been played for several seasons now.

Me too and no doubt Mariota would be a blessing. Teddy got sacked 2 times? He had plenty of time to make better decisions IMO. I am soooo tire of those 3yd passes to the safety valve :steamed:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

The Breeze wrote:teddy ponder?

Is frustrating to see Teddy in the same category as Ponder. There is literally no comparison between the two. You saw what Ponder was like vs. GB and Teddy has been very solid under pressure.

And you would take a shot at Mariota??? That would be one of the dumbest moves a GM could make. We just spent a first round pick on a QB and have holes to fill. As for Mariota, he doesn't impress me at all nor does that offense transfer to the NFL. Name the last good offensive player from Oregon that did something is the NFL....my guess is you can't. And there is a reason behind that. To draft a QB this year is about as unrealistic as it gets. You don't give up on a 1st round 22 year old qb after his first season. Not a chance
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Purple bruise wrote: Me too and no doubt Mariota would be a blessing. Teddy got sacked 2 times? He had plenty of time to make better decisions IMO. I am soooo tire of those 3yd passes to the safety valve :steamed:
Sorry buddy but I can't see Mariota becoming a blessing. That offense does not transfer to the NFL. Teddy was just as good or better in college and we now have him. I'm not sure what makes Mariota any better. Especially in an offense like that
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Is frustrating to see Teddy in the same category as Ponder. There is literally no comparison between the two. You saw what Ponder was like vs. GB and Teddy has been very solid under pressure.

And you would take a shot at Mariota??? That would be one of the dumbest moves a GM could make. We just spent a first round pick on a QB and have holes to fill. As for Mariota, he doesn't impress me at all nor does that offense transfer to the NFL. Name the last good offensive player from Oregon that did something is the NFL....my guess is you can't. And there is a reason behind that. To draft a QB this year is about as unrealistic as it gets. You don't give up on a 1st round 22 year old qb after his first season. Not a chance
watching todays game it was easy to make a comparison to Ponder. I don't see how one couldn't.

i said i'd pull the trigger on Mariota.

as for your forecast on his NFL ability...we'll see.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

You have to remember....this is a 22 year old qb making his 6th NFL start. He's learning a brand new offense. Not sure where all the grief is coming from. He's been great when the game is on the line. That's something that's un-coachable. There are much bigger issues on the offensive side of the ball
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

It is disheartening to see this guys posts, even though I foed him at the beginning of the season. I guess I see them when hes quoted. He hates Teddy, but loved #7. Teddy still has more upside with his non throwing arm then #7 has. But keep hating on Teddy because some people didn't like your guy, good ole ride the bench #7.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

The Breeze wrote: watching todays game it was easy to make a comparison to Ponder. I don't see how one couldn't.

i said i'd pull the trigger on Mariota.

as for your forecast on his NFL ability...we'll see.
Ummm the fact that he took care of the ball and didn't fold under pressure. That's exactly why he does NOT compare to Ponder. And like I said, name a player that's came out of that offense and had success??? It doesn't produce successful offensive players. Period. If I was a betting man, all my money would be on the vikings NOT taking Mariota. Absolute waste of a pick
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:You have to remember....this is a 22 year old qb making his 6th NFL start. He's learning a brand new offense. Not sure where all the grief is coming from. He's been great when the game is on the line. That's something that's un-coachable. There are much bigger issues on the offensive side of the ball
While I do agree that it is too early to give up in TB, he really hasn't shown me that he is the answer either. I would like to see something happen from him where he was in a game and showed a flash of brilliance. The closest thing we have to that is the final drive in Tampa.

Look at the QBs that are starters now... many of them have excelled with mediocre talent. Teddy's numbers are not much better than Ponders. Is it so much to ask to get a QB who is good and doesn't need to be babied along? Why can't we find an Aaron Rodgers, Andrew Luck, Drew Brees, or even a Matthew Stafford?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleKoolaid wrote:It is disheartening to see this guys posts, even though I foed him at the beginning of the season. I guess I see them when hes quoted. He hates Teddy, but loved #7. Teddy still has more upside with his non throwing arm then #7 has. But keep hating on Teddy because some people didn't like your guy, good ole ride the bench #7.
I just don't see any way Ponder falls in the same category as Teddy. You saw how much this team missed Teddy against GB. It's sad that people even put the two in the same sentence
-Chazz Palminteri
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Ummm the fact that he took care of the ball and didn't fold under pressure. That's exactly why he does NOT compare to Ponder. And like I said, name a player that's came out of that offense and had success??? It doesn't produce successful offensive players. Period. If I was a betting man, all my money would be on the vikings NOT taking Mariota. Absolute waste of a pick

you are so absolute and obviously chapped....it's seems to be affecting your comprehension.

i didn't say the vikings will/would/should draft Mariota...i said i would and that's it's really too bad they won't have a shot at him....

and again I think Mariota will be successful in the NFL. I'd even be willing to bet on it.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

The Breeze wrote:
you are so absolute and obviously chapped....it's seems to be affecting your comprehension.

i didn't say the vikings will/would/should draft Mariota...i said i would and that's it's really too bad they won't have a shot at him....

and again I think Mariota will be successful in the NFL. I'd even be willing to bet on it.
I thought you were a JFB man.