Play calling

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Purpnation
Franchise Player

Re: Play calling

Post by Purpnation »

Demi wrote:It'd be nice to get a creative, fiery, aggressive offensive coordinator in here at some point. :(

It be nice to have enough talent on the O to be fiery and aggressive.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

after so many years it is very disheartening that we have never drafter a young QB and seen him coached into top notch QB. I am REALLY hoping that TB is the guy and that Zimmers staff is the right answer.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

chicagopurple wrote:after so many years it is very disheartening that we have never drafter a young QB and seen him coached into top notch QB. I am REALLY hoping that TB is the guy and that Zimmers staff is the right answer.
Same. I like Teddy, wanted him here. The fact that Rick picked him scares me a little, because the guy has no eye for a good QB. I guess we have a new QB coach too. We need Jeff Davidson to get a pink slip, along with whoever is our WR coach. And Norv better find out what plays to call, with our line. Go back to zone blocking or something.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Purpnation wrote: It be nice to have enough talent on the O to be fiery and aggressive.
High price free agent WR, 1st round WR traded four picks to get, 6th pro bowl alternate TE everyone loves, Two interior linemen that were extended to solid deals. 2nd round right tackle who was extended recently. Top 5 left tackle. 1st round QB. Even when they're all healthy we didn't see anything worth writing home about. Or the last number of years.

Quite a bit of money/picks invested in this offense. And we don't have enough talent to get beyond the big ten offense we've been at for the last decade? What has our GM been up to...
mmvikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by mmvikes »

Demi wrote: High price free agent WR, 1st round WR traded four picks to get, 6th pro bowl alternate TE everyone loves, Two interior linemen that were extended to solid deals. 2nd round right tackle who was extended recently. Top 5 left tackle. 1st round QB. Even when they're all healthy we didn't see anything worth writing home about. Or the last number of years.

Quite a bit of money/picks invested in this offense. And we don't have enough talent to get beyond the big ten offense we've been at for the last decade? What has our GM been up to...
Have faith Demi. Sully is ok at center, Load is above avg at rt tackle and Fusco looks great. Rick will fix the Oline for Norv next year and I am sure he will have a few solid surprises for us again.
mmvikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by mmvikes »

Demi wrote:It'd be nice to get a creative, fiery, aggressive offensive coordinator in here at some point. :(
Norv will get there when the pieces are in place and our current players are fluent in all the nuances of his offense
sneaxsneax
Veteran

Post by sneaxsneax »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... vgBFI#t=71

Norv could do with watching this.....
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

sneaxsneax wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... vgBFI#t=71

Norv could do with watching this.....
:lol: I swear on my life I literally just watched that same exact video about two seconds ago. He put up some impressive numbers
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Purpnation
Franchise Player

Post by Purpnation »

Demi wrote: High price free agent WR, 1st round WR traded four picks to get, 6th pro bowl alternate TE everyone loves, Two interior linemen that were extended to solid deals. 2nd round right tackle who was extended recently. Top 5 left tackle. 1st round QB. Even when they're all healthy we didn't see anything worth writing home about. Or the last number of years.

I agree 100% Demi, we have invested way too much in the offense for the production we are getting, but to that still doesn't take away from the fact that Norv doesn't have much talent to work with, especially to instill the confidence to be "fiery and aggressive".
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Purpnation wrote: I agree 100% Demi, we have invested way too much in the offense for the production we are getting, but to that still doesn't take away from the fact that Norv doesn't have much talent to work with, especially to instill the confidence to be "fiery and aggressive".
I think a creative offensive coordinator could do more with what we have then Norv is. If he's trying to install his offense and get the personnel used to it, fine. But he should still be somewhat flexible based on the situation. And it sure doesn't look like he is. Similar complaints were made in San Diego when he was there. And while it was nice having someone with a proven back ground, definitely not liking what I'm seeing. You can't rely on having better talent and just showing up. The coach has to be able to think outside of the box. Which neither previous staff did, and doesn't look like this offense is any different.
Montanavike
Waterboy

Post by Montanavike »

Purple bruise wrote: It has been very suspect to say the least but when Teddy holds the ball and holds the ball and holds the ball and then throws a 3yd. pass when they need 7yds. to gain a first, then that definately impacts the game plan.

I agree 100% on the frustration of throwing for 3 yards when we need 7 but, if the receivers aren't giving Teddy that 7 yards what can he do.
purpletinted66
Starter

Post by purpletinted66 »

bridgewater needs to bust out his x-factor powers so we can send the ball into the endzone via tedex :wink:

then we will :squash: the quesocabezas
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Norv was probably a great choice when we had a healthy OL, a superstar RB in AD, a healthy Rudolph, and Cassell as the starting QB. BUT........
We have none of that. I do think that he is terrible at adjusting on the fly.
Why is CP84 not in motion if he cannot get separation?
Why are we running a pro style offense when he don't have the right personnel?
Why not get TB in space on designed rollouts?
Move the pocket, be creative, obviously we are getting mangled at the LOS.
I think the problem is Norv. Add a rookie QB, poor WR corps, an OL built to power run block but hurt, and we have what we have.

My wish is a new OC like the guy from Clemson. Just someone creative. Odds are that AD is gone. So utilize the talents we have with a new spread offense.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

IIsweet wrote:Norv was probably a great choice when we had a healthy OL, a superstar RB in AD, a healthy Rudolph, and Cassell as the starting QB. BUT........
We have none of that. I do think that he is terrible at adjusting on the fly.
Why is CP84 not in motion if he cannot get separation?
Why are we running a pro style offense when he don't have the right personnel?
Why not get TB in space on designed rollouts?
Move the pocket, be creative, obviously we are getting mangled at the LOS.
I think the problem is Norv. Add a rookie QB, poor WR corps, an OL built to power run block but hurt, and we have what we have.

My wish is a new OC like the guy from Clemson. Just someone creative. Odds are that AD is gone. So utilize the talents we have with a new spread offense.
Good questions. Nice read.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

Montanavike wrote: I agree 100% on the frustration of throwing for 3 yards when we need 7 but, if the receivers aren't giving Teddy that 7 yards what can he do.
I don't think you can blame the receivers in that case. Each receiver has a specific route/yardage pattern that they are supposed to run for each play and running those routes precisely is how a qb and his receivers get their timing down. It's not like the receivers are all supposed to run their route at 7 or more yards if they need 7 for a first down. I'm pretty sure the primary receiver on those plays isn't supposed to be the check down receiver who is normally only a couple yards down the field. That receiver should be the last option in a qb's read progression but Teddy seems to go to them immediately if his primary is covered. Of course sometimes it's necessary if he isn't getting time, but that doesn't always seem to be the case as I thought he dumped off several passes like that too soon against Chicago. And if all his receivers are running their patterns short of the first down, then that's the coaches fault for calling that play - again, not the receiver's fault. Where you can put the blame on receivers is if they aren't getting open.