Munnerlyn's constructive criticism helping Vikings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Munnerlyn's constructive criticism helping Vikings

Post by Mothman »

http://blog.startribune.com/sports/acce ... he-vikings
In case you didn’t pick up the newspaper this morning, today’s Vikings story was on their young secondary growing up this season. Their five defensive backs in their starting nickel package have an average age of 24.6, making them one of the youngest secondaries in the NFL.

Cornerback Captain Munnerlyn, who was signed after five seasons with the Panthers, is the oldest of the regulars at 26, and he has embraced a leadership role with his younger peers, such as Xavier Rhodes and Josh Robinson, even though they playfully give him grief about his age.

“I’ve been the old guy in the room before and I’ve played a lot of football,” said Munnerlyn, who has two interceptions the past two games. “So I’ve had to help teach those guys while I’m learning.”
More at the link.
losperros
Commissioner

Re: Munnerlyn's constructive criticism helping Vikings

Post by losperros »

It's good to know that a veteran has taken a leadership role and established trust among the young DBs. It can only help the team.

Besides, from what I've seen, it's working. The D secondary is better than what we were seeing earlier this season.

Of course, a lot has to do with coaching, too. But veteran leadership is always important and I think necessary for success.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

The Vikings pass rush has been a big helper for our defensive backs too, I don't think that can be understated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:It's good to know that a veteran has taken a leadership role and established trust among the young DBs. It can only help the team.

Besides, from what I've seen, it's working. The D secondary is better than what we were seeing earlier this season.

Of course, a lot has to do with coaching, too. But veteran leadership is always important and I think necessary for success.
I agree and I think that was the biggest loss to the secondary when Winfield was cut. He was a good player but he was also the veteran leader of a young secondary.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

frosted wrote:The Vikings pass rush has been a big helper for our defensive backs too, I don't think that can be understated.
Absolutely. A better pass rush definitely helps the D secondary. And better coverage opens the door for more sacks and hurries by the DL.

So it's great to see improvement from both the DL and the D secondary.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

At least he offers something.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Going to be younger when they dump his dead weight for another 21/22 year old rookie next year. :steamed:
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Mothman wrote: I agree and I think that was the biggest loss to the secondary when Winfield was cut. He was a good player but he was also the veteran leader of a young secondary.
Are you really comparing Captains first year here, and Winfield? Winfield was still very good, and a MN vet. Captain is a nothing. At 26 he plays worse then Winfield at 34. Ann some of the DBs are looking better because they are forced to play in the cover 2.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Are you really comparing Captains first year here, and Winfield?
No, I referred to the importance of veteran leadership. I didn't compare the performance of Winfield and Munnerlyn at all. In fact, I didn't even mention Munnerlyn in my post.