Anyone going to the game this week?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

whatdaproblemis0
Starter

Anyone going to the game this week?

Post by whatdaproblemis0 »

Ill be there....Dressed as this with some paint :) Should be fun. Went to a skins game like this and the fans were cool a couple years back! :smilevike:

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Anyone going to the game this week?

Post by PurpleMustReign »

whatdaproblemis0 wrote:Ill be there....Dressed as this with some paint :) Should be fun. Went to a skins game like this and the fans were cool a couple years back! :smilevike:

Nice! Im sure Jim is going, and he naturally looks that way.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Nice! Im sure Jim is going, and he naturally looks that way.
:rofl: yeah, I'll be there...
Purpnation
Franchise Player

Post by Purpnation »

Awesome guys! I'll be hoping for a win even more for your guys sakes. I'm thinking of catching a game next time the come around New York.
LA Viking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by LA Viking »

I'll be there! Sec 442. Excited for my first Soldier Field experience, but not looking forward to the weather. BTW, I discovered that Soldier Field has been affectionately referred to as Mistake on the Lake. :lol:
The difference between men is not lack of strength, not lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

LA Viking wrote:I'll be there! Sec 442. Excited for my first Soldier Field experience, but not looking forward to the weather. BTW, I discovered that Soldier Field has been affectionately referred to as Mistake on the Lake. :lol:

I'm pretty sure it's Cleveland's stadium that has been referred to this way, not Soldier Field.
LA Viking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by LA Viking »

saint33 wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's Cleveland's stadium that has been referred to this way, not Soldier Field.
Oops, Mistake By the Lake:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2001 ... n-proposal
The difference between men is not lack of strength, not lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

saint33 wrote:
It was actually Cleveland Municipal Stadium, not their current stadium... just a note of clarification.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

LA Viking wrote: Oops, Mistake By the Lake:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2001 ... n-proposal
I think that was just one opinion of the New Soldier Field...

Maybe Jim can fill us in a bit more. Jim, which stadium do you like more... old or new Soldier Field? And what is the general perception of New Soldier Field?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Maybe Jim can fill us in a bit more. Jim, which stadium do you like more... old or new Soldier Field? And what is the general perception of New Soldier Field?
New Soldier Field is much, much better. It's an improvement over the old stadium in almost every way other than visually. The sight lines are good and fans are closer to the field than in most NFL stadiums. There's a walkway around the interior of the stadium that celebrates the history of the Bears (and since their history goes back to the NFL's beginning, that's pretty cool). There are plenty of concession stands and bathrooms. Honestly, it's a great place to see a game.

The two most common complaints about it are that the turf is bad and that's it's ugly. The field is managed by the Chicago Parks Dept. so the Bears can't do much about that. As for it's appearance: because it was a memorial dedicated to American soldiers who have died in wars, when it was re-modeled, they kept the colonnades that surround the stadium and basically built the new stadium inside them. It's a weird juxtaposition from the outside but once you're in there, it's actually pretty cool.

By the way, as others have pointed out, it wasn't called the mistake on the lake. The renovated stadium was called "Eyesore on the Lake Shore" by an architectural writer for the Chicago Tribune but it was also praised by the N. Y. Times.. The stadium IS a bit of an eyesore when viewed from Lakeshore Drive but when viewed from the other side, I think it's pretty cool and I'm glad they kept the colonnades.
mmvikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by mmvikes »

Mothman wrote: New Soldier Field is much, much better. It's an improvement over the old stadium in almost every way other than visually. The sight lines are good and fans are closer to the field than in most NFL stadiums. There's a walkway around the interior of the stadium that celebrates the history of the Bears (and since their history goes back to the NFL's beginning, that's pretty cool). There are plenty of concession stands and bathrooms. Honestly, it's a great place to see a game.

The two most common complaints about it are that the turf is bad and that's it's ugly. The field is managed by the Chicago Parks Dept. so the Bears can't do much about that. As for it's appearance: because it was a memorial dedicated to American soldiers who have died in wars, when it was re-modeled, they kept the colonnades that surround the stadium and basically built the new stadium inside them. It's a weird juxtaposition from the outside but once you're in there, it's actually pretty cool.

By the way, as others have pointed out, it wasn't called the mistake on the lake. The renovated stadium was called "Eyesore on the Lake Shore" by an architectural writer for the Chicago Tribune but it was also praised by the N. Y. Times.. The stadium IS a bit of an eyesore when viewed from Lakeshore Drive but when viewed from the other side, I think it's pretty cool and I'm glad they kept the colonnades.
Looks like a spaceship landed in the Parthenon. I don't understand how anyone thought that was an attractive modernization when it happened.
I agree with you that it is a far better place to watch a game now. I think 60% of the seats used to be in the end zones, but now there are plenty of sideline seats and I have not had a bad view of the field anywhere I have sat since the remodel.
mmvikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by mmvikes »

I will be watching the game at home with a bunch of the neighbors. All of whom are Bears fans. Hope it goes our way today.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Awesome, have fun Jim!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Awesome, have fun Jim!
Thanks, I did, even though I was pretty frustrated with the Vikes performance. There were some great high points (the fake punt, Smith's INT) and it's always fun to go to an NFL game. However, the best moment was right before kickoff. A stealth fighter did a flyover. It went right over my head! What an awesome sight. :)
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Mothman wrote: Thanks, I did, even though I was pretty frustrated with the Vikes performance. There were some great high points (the fake punt, Smith's INT) and it's always fun to go to an NFL game. However, the best moment was right before kickoff. A stealth fighter did a flyover. It went right over my head! What an awesome sight. :)
Wow, those are awe inspiring aernt they.