Culpepper-Moss highlights

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Culpepper-Moss highlights

Post by mosscarter »

i can honestly say i had the most fun watching him. he was one of a kind and could change the whole complexity of the game on one play. he was so good that a study should be done on how many 70 plus yard pass interference calls he got over the course of his career. read this article it says it all, how great he really was. i like the comment from the denver cornerback that said something along the lines of, "once atlanta kicked that final field goal, we knew we had the superbowl won. we knew we couldn't stop randy moss."

http://theunclemikeshow.com/moss-storie ... bowl-week/
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

mosscarter wrote:i can honestly say i had the most fun watching him. he was one of a kind and could change the whole complexity of the game on one play. he was so good that a study should be done on how many 70 plus yard pass interference calls he got over the course of his career. read this article it says it all, how great he really was. i like the comment from the denver cornerback that said something along the lines of, "once atlanta kicked that final field goal, we knew we had the superbowl won. we knew we couldn't stop randy moss."

this is precisely why I don't watch Moss highlights and don't much care about his attitude after that season.....nor will I ever forget the ocean of emptiness that swallowed my stomach, and it's contents...nachos microbrews, as I drifted like a ghost out of the bar on that day.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

mosscarter wrote:i can honestly say i had the most fun watching him. he was one of a kind and could change the whole complexity of the game on one play. he was so good that a study should be done on how many 70 plus yard pass interference calls he got over the course of his career. read this article it says it all, how great he really was. i like the comment from the denver cornerback that said something along the lines of, "once atlanta kicked that final field goal, we knew we had the superbowl won. we knew we couldn't stop randy moss."

Great article. I love this one:

“In 2002, we played him and the Vikings up in the Metrodome, and I’ll never forget this. He took a wide receiver screen — a 2-yard pass at the line of scrimmage — and he smoked the fastest player on our team, Samari Rolle, for a 60-yard touchdown. I’d never seen anything like it. He caught a screen pass, and then, on a dead sprint — just burned right past our fastest guy. “ — Eddie George

I remember the play. Moss displayed one of the best speed bursts I've ever seen.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:I remember the play. Moss displayed one of the best speed bursts I've ever seen.
I remember that one too. I think a lot of us responded with a sort of disbelief at that play.

Here it is, for those who haven't seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxTnVAARhTA

The play is right around the 2:11 mark. Unbelievable.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Man, it really takes watching these again to truly appreciate how special he was. I love Patterson but there's no way he's anywhere close to Moss' level. To be fair, nobody is or has been. Not even Megatron (in my opinion). I love how he seemed to bait corners that thought he was running at full speed (because they were) then added the extra gear and was just gone. Truly a special athlete and one of the best receivers (and players) the NFL has ever seen*

*antics/attitude excluded
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Man, it really takes watching these again to truly appreciate how special he was. I love Patterson but there's no way he's anywhere close to Moss' level. To be fair, nobody is or has been. Not even Megatron (in my opinion). I love how he seemed to bait corners that thought he was running at full speed (because they were) then added the extra gear and was just gone. Truly a special athlete and one of the best receivers (and players) the NFL has ever seen*

*antics/attitude excluded
I've never seen another player like him. There's a great comment from Dennis Green in that video l linked to above. He's talking to Pam Oliver and he says, "If you didn't see what he did in that Thanksgiving game, 3 years ago, that's what a 4.15 looks like".

:lol: I loved Denny's enthusiasm.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

“There’s a commuter lane in California where you can avoid traffic when you’ve got more than one person in your car. Well, we get to practice one day, and Randy’s kind of off on his own, sort of laughing to himself. Someone asks him what he’s snickering about. He tells us, in that Randy voice, ‘Man, I was running late to work and I had to get there, but there was all sorts of traffic. I saw that commuter line and I had to get over there, but all them cops be over there waiting. So I did what I had to do. I put a little hat on the top of the passenger seat and I put my arm around the seat like there was somebody over there. Mannnn, I had do get to work.’ And guess what? He got to work on time. It worked.”

— Ian Williams, San Francisco 49ers nose tackle

Hahahahaha.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

i stumbled upon that article about a year ago and really enjoyed it. he is the fastest player (for his height) that i have ever seen. the thing is, he so lanky that it doesn't look like he's moving that fast some of the time, but he blew by anyone he wanted like they were standing still.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote: I remember that one too. I think a lot of us responded with a sort of disbelief at that play.

Here it is, for those who haven't seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxTnVAARhTA

The play is right around the 2:11 mark. Unbelievable.
Yes, that's the play, Jim. Thanks for posting it.

Dang! Moss looks like he was shot out of a cannon on that one.

On another note, watching DP's original highlights link also reminded me of what kind of powerful arm Daunte Culpepper had.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Randy Moss Remembers: Meeting 'Prime Time'

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Take a look at some of the routes hes running in these clips and he's doing them at basically the top end speed of the CB's and S's defending him while hitting maybe 80% of his own speed. The guy probably could have won gold in track at the olympics, very Usain Bolt like in that he doesn't even look like he's going that fast but he's just flying past everyone.

I was 12 when we drafted him and to me, he was awesome! He pretty much change the way teams had to play defense against him and then you realize they STILL couldn't cover him. I don't know if you can say Randy was the best of all time. I think he certainly was much more scary than Jerry Rice and much more dangerous, much more explosive, and changed the game. Rice also had 2 hall of fame QB's throwing to him and a genius offensive mind for a coach.

The way I'd put is that Randy was the best WR of all time when it came to being unstoppable but Jerry's OVERALL body of work in the long haul makes him the best WR in the grand scheme of a very successful career. Randy absolutely had the potential, talent, and ability to be the undisputed greatest of all time but some bad circumstances and a poor attitude / work ethic kept him from seizing it by the throat.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

As good a time as any.

One Clap
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9YLbZecrTE

He's channeling Charlie Murphy in this one.
-Rus
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

I have always liked Moss. My feelings about him is that he was a non-conformist. He did things his way, every time, unless there was a better way. That applied to almost everything he did on and off the field. As for his attitude, didn't he train one off-season with Cris Carter, or am I remembering that in error? In any case, I think he cared, but marched to the beat of an entirely different drummer. The NFL does not suffer those who are radically different. He kept his charity work close to home and did not seek out fame for it, for which I give him much respect. He was brash, outspoken, controversial, and a joy to watch.

Culpepper is one of the great missed opportunities, IMO. He was a very productive QB, who almost had a record-setting season (stupid Peyton Manning). If he could have found consistency.. man oh man!
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa