Defensive Rookie of the Year

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

cogitator
Veteran

Post by cogitator »

Bill Barnwell at Grantland hands out mid-season awards and has this for defensive rookie of the year. That's a cross out of Borland but didn't come through when I cut and pasted.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-n ... d-winners/

Week 4: Kyle Fuller, CB, Bears
Week 9: Chris Borland Anthony Barr, LB, Vikings

Beyond all of them, I think Anthony Barr both has the best chance of winning and the best case to do so. He leads all rookies with four sacks, had a game-winning strip-and-score in overtime, and appears to be learning new skills at a terrifying rate. Barr was supposed to be a raw prospect who relied on his speed to break down tackles, but he has been far more versatile and effective than those projections would suggest. He can do just about everything Mike Zimmer asks a 4-3 outside linebacker to do and get after the quarterback, which leaves him as some hybrid of Vontaze Burfict and Von Miller.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Defensive Rookie of the Year

Post by Purple Reign »

I think he has a good shot at it, especially if we can get close to a .500 record.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

I saw a similar topic on another board. From the stats they posted, it really looked like Mosley had a strong lead on Mack and Barr.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

808vikingsfan wrote:I saw a similar topic on another board. From the stats they posted, it really looked like Mosley had a strong lead on Mack and Barr.
I think it's close between Barr and Mosley, Mack not so much. I think Barr has been more disruptive making splash plays. And Barr has been really growing in the last 6 weeks, and really catching up. I'm calling it now, Barr gets the nod. He is starting to play more naturally without thinking, and man it's fun to watch. This guy is going to be a stud for years!
This space available for rent.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

I wasn't a huge Mack fan coming out of college, and I never liked his pass rush game despite his sack numbers in college, most of which resulted from stunts and games that got him on the QB unblocked, or came in bunches against really poor offensive line play. that said, I don't understand why the raiders are using him the way they are. He seemed to be on the LOS all game long going 1 on 1 against the OT and doing a pile of nothing. Apparently he has been better against the run and I could believe that, but he would be much better suited playing in a little space and being able to blitz through open lanes or taking on RBs on his way to the QB. He's clearly a great athlete but he isn't developed as a pass rusher and he is too small to be playing on the LOS all game. Maybe he's bad in space, I don't know, but to me his future with the way they are playing him is not going to get the most out of him.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

fiestavike wrote:I wasn't a huge Mack fan coming out of college, and I never liked his pass rush game despite his sack numbers in college, most of which resulted from stunts and games that got him on the QB unblocked, or came in bunches against really poor offensive line play. that said, I don't understand why the raiders are using him the way they are. He seemed to be on the LOS all game long going 1 on 1 against the OT and doing a pile of nothing. Apparently he has been better against the run and I could believe that, but he would be much better suited playing in a little space and being able to blitz through open lanes or taking on RBs on his way to the QB. He's clearly a great athlete but he isn't developed as a pass rusher and he is too small to be playing on the LOS all game. Maybe he's bad in space, I don't know, but to me his future with the way they are playing him is not going to get the most out of him.
"I don't understand why the raiders are using him the way they are."

Because Raiders.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

DKSweets wrote:"I don't understand why the raiders are using him the way they are."

Because Raiders.
Good Point!
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins