Q & A with Mike Zimmer

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Q & A with Mike Zimmer

Post by dead_poet »

Three parts. All three will be posted here.

Part 1: Mike Zimmer Q&A Part 1: Setting expectations, dealing with adversity: http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikin ... -adversity
You've talked about creating a culture here, or setting expectations. What have you found is the most effective way to do that? Is it harder to do when you're managing a whole team and not just a defense?

Zimmer: Sometimes I get frustrated because I want us to do things better than what we're doing. I try to be consistent with everything I'm trying to do. I think some of it is, just the way I talk to the team, the things I preach to them every day or in the meetings. It hasn't been harder to do it with the team, as opposed to just the defense, but I know as coaches, we talked a lot about -- because I'll get frustrated sometimes, and they'll say, 'Hey, you're trying to create a new culture, you're trying to do all those things.' I said, 'I know, but I expect it to go faster.' And then I think back to Cincinnati -- it was different defensively, but it was kind of the same. We were trying to create a mindset and a toughness and a physicality, and playing smart, and playing a team concept. I guess, sometimes it just doesn't happen quite as fast as I want it to. I have to realize, it's not done in a week. It takes time. But that's the thing I like a little bit about where we're at. You've got guys like [Anthony] Barr and Teddy Bridgewater. Barr is a young guy that's a really good football player, and as a rookie, he doesn't say very much because he kind of understands his place. Teddy's a little bit the same way. But three years from now, when those guys are in their third year and they're really good football players and they're the leaders of this football team, if we keep bringing up the right kind of guys and teaching them exactly how we want it, that could be pretty exciting to see. Not that I want to wait three years, but I can see Teddy and Anthony Barr being the cornerstones of this franchise in three years.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Purpnation
Franchise Player

Re: Q & A with Mike Zimmer

Post by Purpnation »

Zimmers so awesome. :D

Most excited I've been for a head coach in a long time.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

I very much like this:
"I guess, sometimes it just doesn't happen quite as fast as I want it to. I have to realize, it's not done in a week. It takes time."
I think we all have to recognize that. From what I've seen, Zimmer is a forward thinker who is concentrating on developing the current team.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

this is EXACTLY the kind of thought process/plan that a team needs. I hope the Wilfs are committed to it because it DOES take time. If they give him 3 years to let his team mature and bring in the right kind of veterans (ie serious committed guys who arent here for the LoveBoat, etc) our new stadium will be he LEAST impressive part of this organization. While I have a very disgusted, jaundiced view of AP now, Zim may be just the kind of guy to slap him out of his moronic lifestyle.....maybe.