Missed Bridgewater-Patterson connection raises questions

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Missed Bridgewater-Patterson connection raises questions

Post by Mothman »

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 97201.html
Bridgewater targeted Patterson seven times in the first 28 minutes of Sunday’s 29-26 victory over Washington. Patterson caught only one, for a gain of just 9 yards. Bridgewater did not throw to Patterson again, and the Vikings had four touchdown drives in the final 32 minutes.

That just continued a trend of underwhelming production for Patterson with Bridgewater under center. So on Monday, Zimmer was asked if something was keeping the two players from clicking.

“Yes,” Zimmer said. “I’ll leave it at that.”

After a few seconds of silence, Zimmer couldn’t help himself.

“It’s nothing between the two [off the field]. We’re not precise enough in a lot of areas,” Zimmer said. “We’re trying to get Cordarrelle involved in the offense. We’d love for him to be involved but guys have to make sure that they are in the right places all the time.”
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Missed Bridgewater-Patterson connection raises questions

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

See I think this goes both ways. The Teddy/CP connection was as clutch as it gets against Tampa Bay. Granted, Patterson needs to get better separation which I think he has definitely improved on lately. However, if Teddy hits him on the deep ball and the post over the middle (which was a nicely ran route) Patterson would've probably went over 100 and at least 1 TD. In my eyes, that's Teddy's fault.

I hate to knock Teddy because I think he has made tremendous gains and is our QB of the future but during this specific game, that's on Teddy. CP had great separation on both routes. One was an overthrow and the other was thrown well behind him. If a WR is wide open but the QB doesn't get it there then who's fault is that? Usually the QB. It's not like they were terrible routes that no QB in the NFL could ever get to him. Many other QBs make those throws no doubt. Cassel connected on it vs KC. Teddy is a rookie QB and there will be bumps in the road. However, I couldn't be more excited for his future here.

In all honesty, I'm not really worried. I personally think it's being blown out of proportion. These two have a long time to get use to each other. Granted, we need to make those plays but they will come. These two are very young and have a lot of learning to do.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Reading between the lines, and judging by the number of times Ted or Jennings had to get Patterson lined up in the correct position, pre-snap, it seems like Flash needs to spend some more time with his playbook.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

What was his Wonderlic score coming out of college? I love the guy, but he doesn't strike me as terribly sharp. After his impressive performance vs. STL I had high hopes for him this year, but I have to admit he's been a bit of a let down when I've seen him play this year. (I missed the TB game, where his numbers looked solid.)
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:What was his Wonderlic score coming out of college? I love the guy, but he doesn't strike me as terribly sharp. After his impressive performance vs. STL I had high hopes for him this year, but I have to admit he's been a bit of a let down when I've seen him play this year. (I missed the TB game, where his numbers looked solid.)
There were reports that he scored an 11 on the Wonderlic but there's no way to know if that's true or not. Even if it's true, A.,J. Green reportedly scored a 10 and it sure hasn't hurt his game. I think Patterson's just learning a difficult position and it takes time to get the nuances down. Throw in a QB who has to do likewise and maybe it's not all that surprising that they're having a bit of trouble getting on the same page.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:See I think this goes both ways. The Teddy/CP connection was as clutch as it gets against Tampa Bay. Granted, Patterson needs to get better separation which I think he has definitely improved on lately. However, if Teddy hits him on the deep ball and the post over the middle (which was a nicely ran route) Patterson would've probably went over 100 and at least 1 TD. In my eyes, that's Teddy's fault.

I hate to knock Teddy because I think he has made tremendous gains and is our QB of the future but during this specific game, that's on Teddy. CP had great separation on both routes. One was an overthrow and the other was thrown well behind him. If a WR is wide open but the QB doesn't get it there then who's fault is that? Usually the QB. It's not like they were terrible routes that no QB in the NFL could ever get to him. Many other QBs make those throws no doubt. Cassel connected on it vs KC. Teddy is a rookie QB and there will be bumps in the road. However, I couldn't be more excited for his future here.

In all honesty, I'm not really worried. I personally think it's being blown out of proportion. These two have a long time to get use to each other. Granted, we need to make those plays but they will come. These two are very young and have a lot of learning to do.

Great post. I agree on all counts. I believe the Teddy/Patterson connection will work itself out in time.

As Jim said, it's a young WR who is still learning the needs of his position teamed with a rookie QB who is doing the same.

On that note, if Teddy and Patterson can get on the same page, we're going to see some fireworks on the field. I can't wait for that to happen!
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

When we drafted CP, either Rick or Zimmer commented on how raw he was. It was a big gamble, as he only had 1 year as WR at TN. I think hes a slow learner, and gives up on plays. I want to see a mean streak in him. He seems so passive lately, even on returns. IDK, but maybe let him concentrate on the WR position only for a few games. It seems like everyone is telling him where to lineup. If he gets off the line, Teddy has shown he can get him the ball. I also think CP draws a lot of safety help. We just don't have any WR weapons for them to concentrate on.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:When we drafted CP, either Rick or Zimmer commented on how raw he was. It was a big gamble, as he only had 1 year as WR at TN. I think hes a slow learner, and gives up on plays.
I don't necessarily think he's a slow learner. I think fans underestimate the difficulty of learning that position (and a change in offensive scheme and terminology from last year to this year probably just slowed his development).
I want to see a mean streak in him. He seems so passive lately, even on returns. IDK, but maybe let him concentrate on the WR position only for a few games.
That might be an excellent idea if he's getting a little overwhelmed.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

I don't know that CP gives up on plays....but I haven't seen a whole lot of games yet.

I'm a bit more concerned about TB's down field accuracy as it was a bit of a red flag coming into the draft.

I don't really have any idea how correctable that is.....but I don't doubt for a second that he will put in the work. It's got to be some kind of mental adjustment IMO.

It is a kind of perfect storm scenario of raw talent between those two.
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

It's mostly Patterson. If you watch the tape, the guy has always been shaky on his route running. The guy just doesn't always seem to be aware of where he's at when he runs deep.

The main problem Bridgewater has had was a tendency to stare down a guy instead of throw to an area. When you're staring down a guy who looks like he's off catching butterflies, you're probably going to check down and try throwing to your tight end outlet. In the case of the first half of the Washington game, it looked like he was more stubborn about trying to get CP the ball and trying to buy enough time for him to get in his spot. When Teddy moved on and targeted other receivers, that's when the offense began clicking.

Despite how much Viking fans want to hope that Patterson is the answer, the guy has a lot of things he still needs to work on. As far as Teddy goes, he just needs to avoid the temptation of forcing the ball to CP. He's mostly staring down CP rather than throwing to that area because it looks like he's not entirely comfortable with CP being in the right place at the right time yet. For good reason.

I do find it funny that people point out Teddy's pre-draft "deep ball" issues, but fail to recall that Patterson himself dropped because of his errant route running and lack of polish as a receiver.
-Rus
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:See I think this goes both ways. The Teddy/CP connection was as clutch as it gets against Tampa Bay. Granted, Patterson needs to get better separation which I think he has definitely improved on lately. However, if Teddy hits him on the deep ball and the post over the middle (which was a nicely ran route) Patterson would've probably went over 100 and at least 1 TD. In my eyes, that's Teddy's fault.

I agree it goes both ways but I think most of the fault still goes to Patterson. Put it this way, if Teddy misses him while he's open twice that's on Teddy. If Patterson is only running the proper route, lining up right, AND getting open 2 out of say 15 snaps, that's on Patterson the other 13 plays, or the vast majority.

Jennings for example, might do all the right things 14 out of 15 snaps and he might get 6-7 targets and then 3-4 catches out of it.

Fact is, if you have 3 WR's on the field, even if all 3 do everything they should do properly and all 3 get open, only one of them can get the ball and the other two guys won't. It's still their job to do everything right AND get open CONSISTENTLY every single time though. Patterson isn't even close to that point yet and the new offense probably put him backwards as well.
Rus wrote:It's mostly Patterson. If you watch the tape, the guy has always been shaky on his route running. The guy just doesn't always seem to be aware of where he's at when he runs deep.

The main problem Bridgewater has had was a tendency to stare down a guy instead of throw to an area. When you're staring down a guy who looks like he's off catching butterflies, you're probably going to check down and try throwing to your tight end outlet. In the case of the first half of the Washington game, it looked like he was more stubborn about trying to get CP the ball and trying to buy enough time for him to get in his spot. When Teddy moved on and targeted other receivers, that's when the offense began clicking.

Despite how much Viking fans want to hope that Patterson is the answer, the guy has a lot of things he still needs to work on. As far as Teddy goes, he just needs to avoid the temptation of forcing the ball to CP. He's mostly staring down CP rather than throwing to that area because it looks like he's not entirely comfortable with CP being in the right place at the right time yet. For good reason.
This is spot on IMO, well said!
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Rus wrote:It's mostly Patterson. If you watch the tape, the guy has always been shaky on his route running. The guy just doesn't always seem to be aware of where he's at when he runs deep.

I do find it funny that people point out Teddy's pre-draft "deep ball" issues, but fail to recall that Patterson himself dropped because of his errant route running and lack of polish as a receiver.

I point it out cause we can always get another wr. Clearly CP is having issues...but he is not the only guy Bridgewater has completely missed when open.

TB's issue is more of a long term concern to me. I'm on the fence as to it's correctability....cause i don't really know. And he's the QB.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:When we drafted CP, either Rick or Zimmer commented on how raw he was.
Must have been Speilman as Zimmer wasn't here when we drafted CP.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Rus wrote:I do find it funny that people point out Teddy's pre-draft "deep ball" issues, but fail to recall that Patterson himself dropped because of his errant route running and lack of polish as a receiver.
And there are also some that don't recall Patterson's big play ability and offensive versatility for Tennessee, and that includes being a deep threat. Add up all the other all-purpose offensive things he did (and still can do) and it's easy to see why his lack of polish didn't drop him out of R1.

Everyone on the Vikings staff knew both Patterson and Bridgewater were going to need time to develop. Both guys have work to do. But from what's been reported, both guys are hard workers. And both have talent.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

These two are just kids. A learning curve is to be expected and let's hope that it is a short one. Patterson seems to be behind the Mendoza line so far and Teddy right there at it.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter