Missed Bridgewater-Patterson connection raises questions

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Re: Missed Bridgewater-Patterson connection raises questions

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Purple Reign wrote: Must have been Speilman as Zimmer wasn't here when we drafted CP.
Yeah, Rick brought it up on one of the preseason games. Zimmer or Norv also commented on it this year. The WR coach better be working hard with him. Because im guessing there are plays that he doesn't even know yet, or where to line up. But getting off the line, you would think he could figure that out. Think about it, if he isn't able to be a good kick returner, he's a below average player.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I would keep in mind that most WR typically take 2-3 years to really emerge in the NFL. CP came into the league behind that curve due to his lack of polish coming out of college. We and the media got excited after seeing what he could do out of gimmick formations as well in the return game. However, those things are not something you can count on to be consistent producers in the NFL.

For what it is worth, I think he is working at it. He went back to school in the offseason to work towards finishing his degree. So the kid is trying to improve and not just on the football field. My guess is it will take time. Given what we've seen of his undeniable talent, I think it will be worth waiting for.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Article that breaks down every pass to Patterson

Lack of Precision Holding Back Vikings WR Cordarrelle Patterson
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

I can't tell how many times I have heard NFL players say the WR is the hardest position to learn when you come into the NFL. it is a HUGE adjustment compared to college ball. THis kid had very little college time so that makes it even harder. Give him some time. By the same token, GREAT QBs adjust on the run. Hopefully Teddy learns to do the same.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I think Patterson can still emerge as a rare player, and I wouldn't be surprised if that happened when we get Rudolph back and Teddy has a true possession type guy.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

DKSweets wrote:I think Patterson can still emerge as a rare player, and I wouldn't be surprised if that happened when we get Rudolph back and Teddy has a true possession type guy.
That's a good point.

I think all the criticism that CP is generating is valid in the sense that what he lacks is experience....not really much anyone can do about that but keep pressing on. In the meantime, it's hardly fair to him or anyone to expect him to be beyond where he is. He can't possibly be "The Guy" in the passing game yet.

Having Rudolph there can really open things up down field for TB. Plus Jennings really needs to step up somehow IMO. Those two guys should be able to create problems for defenders.

Edit to add: it's funny that where CP is best at getting separation is deeper down the field and that's where TB is struggling...i guess it's not actually funny.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

DKSweets wrote:I think Patterson can still emerge as a rare player, and I wouldn't be surprised if that happened when we get Rudolph back and Teddy has a true possession type guy.
That's a great point. I believe Rudolph being in there would help a lot, including Patterson's game. Some 2TE sets might be nice with Rudolph and Ford, too.

I also agree with The Breeze about the criticism really being about a lack of experience.

As I posted before, I think both Patterson and Bridgewater are going to show a lot more after they get more playing time.
mmvikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by mmvikes »

The Breeze wrote:
I point it out cause we can always get another wr. Clearly CP is having issues...but he is not the only guy Bridgewater has completely missed when open.

TB's issue is more of a long term concern to me. I'm on the fence as to it's correctability....cause i don't really know. And he's the QB.
I am not too worried. TB has thrown 29 passes over 20 yds in the NFL. Hardly a lot of work on the deep ball yet. As hard as TB works, I am confident he will get a handle on it. QBs don't come into the NFL with a fully refined game.