Barr's Key Plays Help Defense Change Game

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

frosted
Career Elite Player

Barr's Key Plays Help Defense Change Game

Post by frosted »

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 48181.html
The first one came out of what’s becoming coach Mike Zimmer’s best defensive scheme. With the Redskins facing second-and-13 at the Vikings 16, Zimmer and defensive coordinator George Edwards loaded the line of scrimmage with seven defenders, including Barr and linebacker Chad Greenway in the “A gaps” between the center and guards.

Barr rushed. Greenway dropped into coverage. And the Redskins clearly were confused as Barr tossed aside 5-11, 215-pound running back Roy Helu Jr. before dropping Robert Griffin III on a painful-looking 8-yard sack. Two plays later, the Redskins settled for a 3-0 lead.

“I’d say that’s probably our most effective defensive alignment,” Barr said. “We do so many different things out of it. It’s not predictable at all.”
I have to say, I am loving that alignment - it's obviously causing a lot of confusion for opposing offenses, and I think it's clear that Zimmer is using it as part of his chess match. He sets up plays later in the game off of it. Quite frankly, it's awesome.
maembe
Franchise Player

Re: Barr's Key Plays Help Defense Change Game

Post by maembe »

Sacks are awesome, but I thought one of his most impressive plays yesterday was on a short pass to the running back on the last full Redskins drive on 1st and 20. Barr was one on one with the back without any help, the very definition of an open field tackle. He dropped him for a 4ish yard gain, but had he missed it, which most players would have, it would have easily been a 12-15 yard gain, maybe more. It wasn't as splashy as a sack, fumble, or huge hit, but those kinds of plays can make a huge difference in a game even if it just shows up as a tackle on the stat sheet. The difference between 2-16 and 2-5 is huge. This was the series where RG3 ran for 15 on third down and they failed to convert on fourth.