Peterson plea deal...

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Peterson plea deal...

Post by Mothman »

We've ventured into some touchy areas and this is a touchy subject. People feel passionately about it and emotions run high but some things are still off limits. Please don't circumvent the board's word filter and please, leave Chicagopurple's profession,/identity out of the discussion. That's personal and has nothing to do with Peterson, the Vikings, football, etc.

Thanks.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Cliff wrote:It's just a difference of opinion in the end, I'm not ready to call him a monster exactly, I just can't muster much sympathy. However, I would remind you that it's not just the switch either. The whole making him eat leaves and having the kid worried about being punched in the face if he said anything. It goes beyond the spanking to me.
That's understandable. I'm very suspicious of the information that came directly from the child so I have to confess, I haven't accepted it as accurate. Children are very prone to confabulation when being interviewed by authority figures and if I remember correctly, that's especially true for victims.
Noxage
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Noxage »

Mothman wrote: Please don't circumvent the board's word filter and please, leave Chicagopurple's profession,/identity out of the discussion.
He linked his site and brought his own identity into the discussion. As I said, I'm very uninterested in what people do or what they say they do on a message board. Delete his post. It's in his best interest anyways.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

People are going to have different opinions on this matter. More from where and how they were raised than most people think. Peterson grew up in an area of the country were corporal punishment was the norm. WERE it is still the norm. Were it is still allowed in schools. This does not excuse what he did. But at least I understand were he got it from. Just because we did not grow up in an area like this does not make us better than him. I will not vilify the man for his actions if he changes his actions in the future. Which I believe he has every intention of doing. I do not like what he did and would never do it myself, but I understand it.

My father was beat when he was growing up. He had a L shaped scar on his back were his dad hit him with a 2x4 when he was young. It use to happen in my family. My father did not pass it on to his kids. Before you criticize someone for how they act, at least make an attempt find out why they are acting like that. Not saying it makes it right, but at least you know the why it's being done. We are not all raised by perfect, politically correct parents,(thank God) we all have our faults, some are worse than others. There is no book that comes with the child when they are born. We don't usually go out and get parenting classes.

As to his punishment. I fully expected that once he was on the list he would not play again this year. I don't like it. But what I like even less is the willy-nilly way the NFL has been going about this. They have had two months to put together a plan with the NFLPA on domestic abuse. As far as I know, they haven't even scheduled meeting about it. That is pathetic. If the NFL really wanted to do something impressive, they would not be having classes for the players, that's all well and good. They should be reaching out to the younger fans who are 10-16 and teaching them that this is not right. Education at an early age is the key.

What's the NFL's Play for 60 campaign?

How about a campaign on abuse for the kids?

Now that would impress me commissioner.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Noxage wrote:
He linked his site and brought his own identity into the discussion. As I said, I'm very uninterested in what people do or what they say they do on a message board. Delete his post. It's in his best interest anyways.
To be fair, purple bruise has been following him around the forum and childishly baiting/mocking him ever since he stated that he is a doctor a while back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Noxage wrote:He linked his site and brought his own identity into the discussion.
I realize that but he did so in response to Purple Bruise pressing him about it and it's completely off topic.
As I said, I'm very uninterested in what people do or what they say they do on a message board. Delete his post. It's in his best interest anyways.
A fine idea. :) I almost did that in the first place.
Noxage
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Noxage »

frosted wrote:
To be fair, purple bruise has been following him around the forum and childishly baiting/mocking him ever since he stated that he is a doctor a while back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah. Was not aware. Thx.
Noxage
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Noxage »

Mothman wrote:
A fine idea. :)
Every once in a while I stumble into one of those.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

Mothman wrote: I think we're all but obligated to go there.
The reason I pleaded not to go there is because it will just turn into another debate that can't be proven one way or the other. I'm a firm believer that a 30 year old person should be able to determine what is right or wrong on his own regardless of how they were brought up as a child. To me, that is just a lame excuse to put the blame somewhere else other than taking responsibility for their actions.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

It might be nice to have a topic now that the NFL has spoken. I personally want to know what we are going to do with AD in the future, but I have a completely different view of AD as 90% of the board does, and would rather not get into it while checking up on the situation, like being furious with Goodell and the NFL.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Purple Reign wrote:The reason I pleaded not to go there is because it will just turn into another debate that can't be proven one way or the other.
Understood. I really just wanted to know if people had given any consideration to that aspect of this whole story.
I'm a firm believer that a 30 year old person should be able to determine what is right or wrong on his own regardless of how they were brought up as a child. To me, that is just a lame excuse to put the blame somewhere else other than taking responsibility for their actions.
Right and wrong are largely subjective concepts. A 30 year old should be able to determine what he considers right and wrong but those beliefs are the product of personal experiences and the influence of the surrounding culture. A person raised to believe it's okay to discipline a child with a switch, and surrounded by enough other people who share that view, may not think it's wrong, even if you or I do. It's not as if our culture has arrived at an established consensus regarding such punishment, or outlawed it, although there's obviously a point at which it crosses the line into criminal behavior.

As I posted earlier, there's a distinction to be made between the reasons for behavior and excuses used to justify behavior. understanding causes isn't the same as making excuses and it doesn't necessarily shift responsibility. There's no reason a person can't be perceived as someone who continued a cycle of unacceptable punishment while also being held responsible for their actions.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

Mothman wrote: Right and wrong are largely subjective concepts. A 30 year old should be able to determine what he considers right and wrong but those beliefs are the product of personal experiences and the influence of the surrounding culture. A person raised to believe it's okay to discipline a child with a switch, and surrounded by enough other people who share that view, may not think it's wrong, even if you or I do. It's not as if our culture has arrived at an established consensus regarding such punishment, or outlawed it, although there's obviously a point at which it crosses the line into criminal behavior.

As I posted earlier, there's a distinction to be made between the reasons for behavior and excuses used to justify behavior. understanding causes isn't the same as making excuses and it doesn't necessarily shift responsibility. There's no reason a person can't be perceived as someone who continued a cycle of unacceptable punishment while also being held responsible for their actions.
In this case, I think it is pretty evident that beating a 4 year old with a switch and causing the welts/injuries he did was wrong and not all that subjective. I'm not debating whether corporal punishment is right/wrong, but the severity of it, and AP should have known better. In the end, it was still his decision to do what he did and trying to come up with reasons for his behavior doesn't change that fact, so IMO it's pointless to debate the reasons for his behavior. That probably should be left up to a psychiatrist/counselor in order to determine how to change his behavior so it doesn't happen again.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

What really baffles me is, Josh Brent and Donte Stallworth both KILLED PEOPLE and were back in the league within a year. Stallworth was actually back in the league in 30 DAYS!! Yet Plaxico Burress shoots HIMSELF and is suspended for 2 years. Now Peterson goes overboard disciplining his kid, and is done for the season and given no timetable. There is just no consistency whatsoever throughout the NFL. And Goodell is trying to use Peterson as a bandaid for all his other #### ups. He has to go before this league goes up in flames
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Purple Reign wrote:In this case, I think it is pretty evident that beating a 4 year old with a switch and causing the welts/injuries he did was wrong and not all that subjective.
I didn't say that was subjective. It was obviously wrong.
I'm not debating whether corporal punishment is right/wrong, but the severity of it, and AP should have known better.

In the end, it was still his decision to do what he did and trying to come up with reasons for his behavior doesn't change that fact...
Changing that fact was never the point.

I'm calling it a night. Thanks for the discussion.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

pondering her percey couldn't have said it any better. at the end of the day this is still legally a misdemeanor millions of people have them. as i noted earlier, the pictures that were seen were meant for a judge and jury ONLY not everyone on the planet to pass judgement. either way this is beating a dead horse anymore; he's done for the season and i wouldn't be surprised if we see a multi-million dollar lawsuit filed within the next couple of weeks. and the truth is, he should win if he sues.