Peterson plea deal...

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Peterson plea deal...

Post by Mothman »

DKSweets wrote:He allegedly admitted to smoking "a little weed". It's very unlikely that he tested positive or there would have been consequences/media reports.
Exactly. There was never any confirmation of drug use or a failed test, just an allegation that Peterson made a comment to a worker during the testing process. On the basis of the comment, the prosecution filed a motion to have Peterson arrested and have his bond revoked, but if I remember correctly, the case was settled before there was a hearing on that motion.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

I feel like a lot of the back and forth here is being caused by the assumption that there are only two camps here (pro Peterson or anti Peterson) And that both groups have a similar view of the situation as the others that feel that way. I think it needs to just be said; either opinion is valid as long as you are basing it on facts of what he did. Most of the disagreement I see isn't whether or not things happened. But the seriousness with which someone is weighing that action.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

IrishViking wrote:I feel like a lot of the back and forth here is being caused by the assumption that there are only two camps here (pro Peterson or anti Peterson) And that both groups have a similar view of the situation as the others that feel that way. I think it needs to just be said; either opinion is valid as long as you are basing it on facts of what he did. Most of the disagreement I see isn't whether or not things happened. But the seriousness with which someone is weighing that action.
That's true but there's also a lot of misinformation out there. The media has been reporting things so quickly 'as they happen' but not fact checking beforehand that half the people here (even fans I've known in the past to be well informed and myself depending on the day) don't have the facts straight.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

IrishViking wrote:I feel like a lot of the back and forth here is being caused by the assumption that there are only two camps here (pro Peterson or anti Peterson) And that both groups have a similar view of the situation as the others that feel that way. I think it needs to just be said; either opinion is valid as long as you are basing it on facts of what he did. Most of the disagreement I see isn't whether or not things happened. But the seriousness with which someone is weighing that action.
There seems to be a fair amount of misinformation and misunderstanding out there but I definitely agree that there's room for varying viewpoints based on the facts.

Regarding your last comment: I think most (if not all) of us take Peterson's criminal action very seriously so I think at this point, what's really separating people on that front may be how long they feel it needs to be held against him and to what degree that one action defines him as a person. My personal view is that he did something quite wrong but he's repeatedly expressed regret for it (and supposedly did so immediately), he cooperated with law enforcement and went through the legal process, he missed 15 games (6 without pay), he's served and is serving a suspension, he's lost an enormous amount of money... at some point enough is enough and I feel it's time to move on.

Personally, I think the bigger issue at the moment is that Vikes fans are hurt because he has doubts about remaining with the team and because he expressed some frustration with Minnesota in a very general way.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

He is Back!
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Mothman wrote: There seems to be a fair amount of misinformation and misunderstanding out there but I definitely agree that there's room for varying viewpoints based on the facts.

Regarding your last comment: I think most (if not all) of us take Peterson's criminal action very seriously so I think at this point, what's really separating people on that front may be how long they feel it needs to be held against him and to what degree that one action defines him as a person. My personal view is that he did something quite wrong but he's repeatedly expressed regret for it (and supposedly did so immediately), he cooperated with law enforcement and went through the legal process, he missed 15 games (6 without pay), he's served and is serving a suspension, he's lost an enormous amount of money... at some point enough is enough and I feel it's time to move on.

Personally, I think the bigger issue at the moment is that Vikes fans are hurt because he has doubts about remaining with the team and because he expressed some frustration with Minnesota in a very general way.
I'd have to agree on that count, it's certainly something most people (rightfully so) won't forget, but there's a pretty good case to be made that Adrian has gone through the process, learned from it, and is hopefully growing. Not much more you can ask for on that front. I doubt most of the disappointment in him will ever truly go away, but forgiveness is powerful.

I wish the same approach would have been taken with Michael Vick, but it seems most people won't take that route in his case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

yeah, hanging dogs from trees and electrocuting them and torturing them is a bit unforgivable.....I am not THAT good at turning the other cheek. I dont think AP has THAT kind of sociopathic evil in his bones.....he just carried a sad tradition of excessive corporal punishment and coupled it with the strength of an NFL RB, got out of control.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Mothman wrote: My point is that it's not really a question of intelligence. He has a family that may not want to be in Minnesota anymore. That's a serious consideration for a husband/father. He'll get paid well wherever he plays and he's already made a fortune. Heck, I don't want him to play for another team but if he does, maybe he'd find himself on a Super Bowl contender.

If he decides he wants out and gets himself traded to Oakland... that might be dumb. :)
That's a good point. I'm looking at it purely from the perspectives of money and time, but other factors might weigh more in AD's mind. Family considerations can play a large role too.

I do think it's safe to say though that if AD wants a "designer" trade, or really a trade of any type, he's going to have to alter his contract prior to the trade taking place. Maybe, as you noted, the remainder of his guaranteed money just gets spread out in a multi-year deal, but for the Vikings to get their compensation out of the deal AD would have to be willing to take a pretty decent haircut in base compensation for the upcoming season at a minimum. If I'm Spielman, I don't let him go for less than what I got for Harvin, and that's even more true if AD wants to go to an NFC team, so AD would have to be willing to make some more sacrifices to make it happen.

Hopefully the Vikings will just confirm they will honor his contract as it stands (if they haven't already) and put the ball squarely in his court.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikingLord wrote:That's a good point. I'm looking at it purely from the perspectives of money and time, but other factors might weigh more in AD's mind. Family considerations can play a large role too.

I do think it's safe to say though that if AD wants a "designer" trade, or really a trade of any type, he's going to have to alter his contract prior to the trade taking place. Maybe, as you noted, the remainder of his guaranteed money just gets spread out in a multi-year deal, but for the Vikings to get their compensation out of the deal AD would have to be willing to take a pretty decent haircut in base compensation for the upcoming season at a minimum.
I'm not sure if that was a typo, an auto-correct error or an amusing use of the word "haircut" but I liked it! It's likely that he would indeed, have to get quite a haircut to pull off a "designer" trade. There are probably teams with the cap space necessary to take on his contract but I have no idea if they'd be willing to do it and part with the picks and/or players it would cost them in trade.
If I'm Spielman, I don't let him go for less than what I got for Harvin, and that's even more true if AD wants to go to an NFC team, so AD would have to be willing to make some more sacrifices to make it happen.

Hopefully the Vikings will just confirm they will honor his contract as it stands (if they haven't already) and put the ball squarely in his court.
I think that would be a wise course of action (as it pertains to this year anyway) so I'm hoping it's what the Vikes will do.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Mothman wrote: I think that would be a wise course of action (as it pertains to this year anyway) so I'm hoping it's what the Vikes will do.

I have no problem with them honoring AP's contract as it stands. Hell I would even be fine with them agreeing not to restructure it period barring serious injury.