Peterson plea deal...

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Lars
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Peterson plea deal...

Post by Lars »

fiestavike wrote:from usa today article This is the obvious bottom line from the start of this thing. Even the initial leaked text messages indicated this and made it clear.

Anyone who has ever been a parent has made mistakes. This is just the a mountain of moral indignation (largely media driven) being made out of a simple mistake.

This is why the Vikings were right to reinstate Peterson from the start. And why they were wrong to cave to this ginned up mess.

Meanwhile the whole GD discussion has been obfuscated by the fact that beyond an inadvertent injury we are really talking about the appropriateness or inappropriateness of using corporal punishment (all while using highly charged euphemisms like "child abuse", "monster" and "child abuser" and endless discussion of the "strength" of peterson, as though when he throws darts, or plays ping pong he must surely use every bit of his physical strength with each attempt? Its just ridiculous). If we can dial it down and have a reasoned conversation debating the merits of corporal punishment is a valid discussion for society to have, but its not an issue the NFL needs to weigh in on. And yet its now an issue the NFL has decided to weigh in on.

The whole thing is just the biggest bunch of sensationalized and overwrought crap.
While it may be crap (or not) -- it certainly was sensationalized... People were drawn to the story, and that made the media happy. It was timing as well. If news of Peterson's indictment had come out earlier, it never would have reached this volume or punishment level. People were aghast at Ray Rice' behavior (even my wife was talking about it) and the commissioners ruling on Rice when Peterson's indictment was handed down and the pictures were (illegally) posted online. It created a firestorm. But it is what it is.
Lars
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Lars »

Apparently nothing came of the allegations that Peterson admitted to smoking Marijuana before the court ordered drug test. That was a huge firestorm too -- but really nothing has been reported since October 10th about it. It was said at the time to be a violation of his bond, but nothing came of it at all from the court. The judge (who is a hardliner) had a policy of placing defendants in jail for a week if they broke the rules and tested positive for drugs while on bond. Peterson stayed out of jail, so he must have passed the test. The "admission" was sensational for a moment none-the-less.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Purple Reign wrote: Maybe I'm being a bit picky here, but I find the statement I bolded above a bit condescending. Is he really implying that no other parent can love their children as much as he does? Another example of AP saying stupid things without thinking IMO.
Let me ask you this....answer if you want. Do you have kids? Because I do, and to me that statement makes perfect sense. I can think of very few parents who would not say the same thing.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

Raptorman wrote:Let me ask you this....answer if you want. Do you have kids? Because I do, and to me that statement makes perfect sense. I can think of very few parents who would not say the same thing.
Yes, I do have kids whom I love greatly. It seems that I took his statement the wrong way. I think that almost every parent loves their children very deeply so why wouldn't other parents be able to imagine how much he loves his son? But it has been pointed out that since he whipped his son and caused the injuries, then most people don't imagine that he really loves his son as much as he says he does, which I now realize is what he meant.

So I apologize for taking that statement the wrong way and responding to it the way I did.
Last edited by Purple Reign on Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Yes, I do have kids whom I love greatly. It seems that I took his statement the wrong way. I think that almost every parent loves their children very deeply so why wouldn't other parents be able to imagine how much he loves his son? But it has been pointed out that since he whipped his son and caused the injuries, then most people don't imagine that he really loves his son as much as he does, which I now realize is what he meant.
I am not saying Peterson does not love kids ... I just don't understand having kids with
all these other women. To me, that just makes raising kids a much more difficult;
its hard enough to get two adults in a very good marriage to be effective parents. Throw
in four or five adults; who all have different motivations and viewpoints.... good luck
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

I deleted a post and a few replies that quoted it. I'm sorry about the need to do the latter.

Please, let's discuss this subject without sensationalizing it and posting speculative, potentially incendiary statements that will just incite people.

Thank you.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Purple Reign wrote: Yes, I do have kids whom I love greatly. It seems that I took his statement the wrong way. I think that almost every parent loves their children very deeply so why wouldn't other parents be able to imagine how much he loves his son? But it has been pointed out that since he whipped his son and caused the injuries, then most people don't imagine that he really loves his son as much as he says he does, which I now realize is what he meant.

So I apologize for taking that statement the wrong way and responding to it the way I did.
FWIW, I don't mind your comments. It's not out of the question to infer that AP meant that no other parent could possibly imagine how much he loves his kids.

Honestly, I think AP just didn't phrase his comments very well. I think he probably meant what you said, that most people don't imagine he loves his son because of the fact that he beat the kid. He was in a defensive situation, and he just spoke. Heck, I write for a living and generally choose my words very carefully ... if I were speaking off-the-cuff in front of a roomful of reporters, I probably would mess up, too.

No harm.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Mothman wrote:I deleted a post and a few replies that quoted it. I'm sorry about the need to do the latter.

Please, let's discuss this subject without sensationalizing it and posting speculative, potentially incendiary statements that will just incite people.

Thank you.
Suffice it to say, I'm glad someone is looking out for AD's children. The courts clearly aren't. And he isn't. Besides monetarily. Glad he got some punishment that will actually make him think moving forward.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

@ArifHasanNFL
Most interesting to me: @AdamSchefter reports Warren worked to keep Peterson off field, @Edwerderespn reports Wilfs worked to get him on it
http://vikingsterritory.com/2014/off-th ... against-it

So there was a lawyer in the organization who didn't/doesn't want him back on the field. But Ed Werder is saying the Wilfs are behind him.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

frosted wrote: http://vikingsterritory.com/2014/off-th ... against-it

So there was a lawyer in the organization who didn't/doesn't want him back on the field. But Ed Werder is saying the Wilfs are behind him.

Thanks for the info, As Arif Hasan said, "It isn’t surprising to me that the lawyer is the one who didn’t want him back." I feel the same way.

If it's true that Warren was working with the NFL to keep Peterson off the field, even though ownership, players and coaches wanted him back, that seems like insubordination. Maybe he's secure enough in his position to take such an active stance. :confused:
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Mothman wrote:
Thanks for the info, As Arif Hasan said, "It isn’t surprising to me that the lawyer is the one who didn’t want him back." I feel the same way.

If it's true that Warren was working with the NFL to keep Peterson off the field, even though ownership, players and coaches wanted him back, that seems like insubordination. Maybe he's secure enough in his position to take such an active stance. :confused:
Yeah it's a strange dynamic! Like all things, I'm sure we'll just have to wait for the actual answer to our questions (will he back?).
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Ray Rice's indefinite suspension has been overturned by a neutral arbitrator. Rice is eligible to sign with any team immediately. The former federal judge's ruling pretty much rebukes Roger Goodell's arbitrary disciplinary policies.

Wonder what it might mean for Adrian Peterson.

Here is one link among many.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... /19182415/
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
maembe
Franchise Player

Post by maembe »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Ray Rice's indefinite suspension has been overturned by a neutral arbitrator. Rice is eligible to sign with any team immediately. The former federal judge's ruling pretty much rebukes Roger Goodell's arbitrary disciplinary policies.

Wonder what it might mean for Adrian Peterson.

Here is one link among many.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... /19182415/
I doesn't really matter. The NFL likely knows that they are going to lose the appeal, but all they have to do is drag it out a month and then, even when they "lose", they'll still have prevented Peterson from playing for the entire season.

It was incredibly obvious that they were going to lose the Ray Rice case. They suspended him for two games and looked bad for it so they decided they might as well just suspend him forever for PR purposes knowing that they would lose the appeal.

Ultimately, I think these two cases will result in some sort of neutral arbitrator for discipline, because Goodell and the NFL are completely out of control.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

There is nothing that can be done right now, but I do think there is going to be legal pressure to restrict Goodell in the near future.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

The thing is, AP's appeal is Tuesday. I'm wondering if this might grease the skids for his appeal to be overturned, freeing him to play in the last four games of the season.

Probably wishful thinking.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.