Zimmer

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Zimmer

Post by Boon »

You know, I'm usually very skeptical about things, especially early on, but I seriously like this coach. I don't remember in MY era, ever liking a coach the vikings have had this much. (which starts mid 80's ish lol). His demeanor, the things he says, his fire. The players are starting to carry his attitude on the field and I think we have something brewing here within a few years.

The thing that stands out to me the most is his coach speak is very limited. He's not afraid to give just enough "call out" on someone who's doing dumb #### and it usually results in that person playing well the next week.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Zimmer

Post by Mothman »

I seriously like Zimmer as HC too. He's earnest in the best possible way. Hopefully, we're seeing the beginning of a special, rewarding era of Vikings football.
Fran the Man
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Fran the Man »

You can easily see why every team he has ever coached for, the players loved the guy, especially in Cincinnati. I lost track of all the players that expressed huge disappointment when he left.
The guy can obviously head-coach too; He lost his starting QB, RB and TE and still has a competitive team. You can tell the Viking players have bought into the guy.
I look for our first Super Bowl Victory in our new stadium in 2016.
Don't pick a fight with an old Viking. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Fran the Man wrote:You can easily see why every team he has ever coached for, the players loved the guy, especially in Cincinnati. I lost track of all the players that expressed huge disappointment when he left.
The guy can obviously head-coach too; He lost his starting QB, RB and TE and still has a competitive team. You can tell the Viking players have bought into the guy.
I look for our first Super Bowl Victory in our new stadium in 2016.
And lost their best O-lineman in Fusco. I'm very excited to have him. He was my #1 choice from day 1. I even had us hiring him in all of my offseason mocks last year 8)
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

It's obviously not possible to know whether this will end in a championship, but I do know this ... I liked what I saw today.

The Vikings came out flat. As much as we wish it wouldn't, it happens. But Zimmer lit a fire under them. Those of you who watched the game heard what the sideline reporter said at halftime -- Zimmer was not happy with some players. After that, the Vikings got better and better as the game progressed. Something changed, and I have to believe it was Zimmer-induced.

By the end of the game, we outgained them, won the time of possession battle, and rendered RG3 relatively ineffective. Who would have predicted THAT after we got down 10-0. And ... another 4th-quarter comeback for Teddy. Don't love his deep ball, but I love his composure.

Absolutely LOVE the resolve this team showed today. Yes, it was against a 3-6 team ... a that had just beaten the supposed best team in the NFC.

If you can't tell, this "older" guy is PSYCHED about today's win ... and our coach.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
maembe
Franchise Player

Post by maembe »

This team does feel different with Zimmer at the helm. The turnaround on defense has been stunning. I actually enjoy watching when they're out on defense now. It also feels like we get better as the game goes on and make adjustments based on what the opponent is doing. It's quite refreshing.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: And lost their best O-lineman in Fusco. I'm very excited to have him. He was my #1 choice from day 1. I even had us hiring him in all of my offseason mocks last year 8)
Ditto. So we are in sync with 2 things )

I think Zimmer is learning as much as the other rookies on the team. He is also making the calls for the D. That's a lot of work. He calls it like he sees it, and at time is even motivational.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Ditto. So we are in sync with 2 things )

I think Zimmer is learning as much as the other rookies on the team. He is also making the calls for the D. That's a lot of work. He calls it like he sees it, and at time is even motivational.
We have to remember too, we are young, there are a lot of guys that are learning new schemes and Zimmer is learning as well. A few years of consistency with him and the young players on this team, the future looks bright
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

Mothman wrote:I seriously like Zimmer as HC too. He's earnest in the best possible way. Hopefully, we're seeing the beginning of a special, rewarding era of Vikings football.
I really think we are, as long as we take time to view the forest through the trees. His defense is no joke, it has had it's lapses, but I sorta expected that with players who were unfamiliar with him and his system. I knew this season would have it's rough patches, you don't install two completely new systems and just hit the ground running. But you can see it taking shape now and QBs see it too haha. Put a a few more pieces in this defense and it could rise to be the best in the NFL. A year or 2 seasoning for Teddy with a couple parts there as well, the north will be changing soon.

I'm most worried about the offense at this point, but this defense is getting fun to watch. And notice one thing, there aren't people all over worrying about next years draft. I haven't had this much confidence in a Viking coach in a long time now. I get a little Parcells vibe off Zimmer, the way he indirectly and directly says things to his players through his pressers, and the no bs approach. I would bet he tells players straight on, if you can't handle your job I will find someone who will. Instead of this he did good things today crap as to not hurt feelings. And when a player really does do something good, he lets them know it too. I love this coach, and despite his hard edge I think he's a really good guy too.
This space available for rent.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

It's hard not to be a fan of this guy. The way we have got used to seeing this team play for most of the time since 09, it's refreshing to see so much positive change. Everything isn't because of Zimmer, but I would bet he's getting better results out of this team than a lot of coaches would.
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

DKSweets wrote:It's hard not to be a fan of this guy. The way we have got used to seeing this team play for most of the time since 09, it's refreshing to see so much positive change. Everything isn't because of Zimmer, but I would bet he's getting better results out of this team than a lot of coaches would.
I think everything is pretty much because of Zimmer. If this defense wasn't this good, and as bad as the offense has been at times, this team would be looking at 1 maybe 2 wins.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleHalo wrote: I think everything is pretty much because of Zimmer. If this defense wasn't this good, and as bad as the offense has been at times, this team would be looking at 1 maybe 2 wins.
Granted, Zimmer has done a great job. However, a lot of key pieces were brought in this year that we never had last year. That makes a difference as well
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Granted, Zimmer has done a great job. However, a lot of key pieces were brought in this year that we never had last year. That makes a difference as well
Kind of makes you wonder if this defense is made for a guy like Joseph, he has been having a sneaky nice year. Seems like everyone on the line has except Robison, but he has still played well but just not got the splash plays.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Kind of makes you wonder if this defense is made for a guy like Joseph, he has been having a sneaky nice year. Seems like everyone on the line has except Robison, but he has still played well but just not got the splash plays.[/quote]

I am not sure what are Robison's actual numbers that he has gotten rotated in and out of games but everytime I watch him he is hustling and has made too big sacks on big plays in the last two games. I did see Wooten get "blown up" a couple of times in this Redskins game. The Vikes and any other team can not and do not have pro bowl caliber players at every position.
IMO is that those fans that think that his high total of QB hurries are meaningless then you need to realize what disruption those hurries cause in many plays. I love his motor and enthusiasm :rock:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Purple bruise wrote:I am not sure what are Robison's actual numbers that he has gotten rotated in and out of games but everytime I watch him he is hustling and has made too big sacks on big plays in the last two games. I did see Wooten get "blown up" a couple of times in this Redskins game. The Vikes and any other team can not and do not have pro bowl caliber players at every position.
IMO is that those fans that think that his high total of QB hurries are meaningless then you need to realize what disruption those hurries cause in many plays. I love his motor and enthusiasm :rock:
I'm a fan of Robison but I think you're miscategorizing the complaints of the people who aren't his fan. In general, they aren't upset that he is on the team or even that he is a starter, they are upset by the large contract extension he got for a player that they don't think is worth nearly as much money/security.
Last edited by DK Sweets on Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.