Young Theodore Bridgewater

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Young Theodore Bridgewater

Post by Purple Reign »

Ardenn wrote: Well shucks. All that, and he beat every single wide receiver on our team statistically.
Since we're getting away from the whole point of what I said, I would trade our entire WR roster for TY Hilton. People always want to make it sound like Luck is out in a muddy field tossing touchdowns up to himself.
Wayne had better stats primarily because the Colts are a down field passing team that had about 150 more pass attempts this season than the Vikings whose passing game was more of the short to intermediate passes. Also take into consideration Teddy being a rookie thrown in before he was ready and the game plan was to get rid of the ball early resulting in a lot of check downs to the running backs. But I agree that TY Hilton is a very good receiver, better than any the Vikings currently have.
kurtkeoki
Backup

Post by kurtkeoki »

What are your guys thoughts on Teddy running the ball more? He doesn't have Kaepernick, Manziel, Wilson type of athleticism, but he is mobile. I don't have any stats to back this up, but it seemed he passed up a lot of good running chances looking for the pass instead. I think this is a fine trait, looking for the pass instead of just looking to run it, but should he be running it more often?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

kurtkeoki wrote:What are your guys thoughts on Teddy running the ball more? He doesn't have Kaepernick, Manziel, Wilson type of athleticism, but he is mobile. I don't have any stats to back this up, but it seemed he passed up a lot of good running chances looking for the pass instead. I think this is a fine trait, looking for the pass instead of just looking to run it, but should he be running it more often?
I'm perfectly fine with Teddy looking to avoid the rush with his legs and looking to make a play as a passer first, then running if he can't find anyone. He's not Cam Newton and shouldn't try to be. Aaron Rodgers, as much as I hate the boob, is the perfect example. Passer first, but sneaky elusive that can pick up yards and first downs via his legs if needed. In other words, IMO there shouldn't be many designed runs for Teddy.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

kurtkeoki wrote:What are your guys thoughts on Teddy running the ball more? He doesn't have Kaepernick, Manziel, Wilson type of athleticism, but he is mobile. I don't have any stats to back this up, but it seemed he passed up a lot of good running chances looking for the pass instead. I think this is a fine trait, looking for the pass instead of just looking to run it, but should he be running it more often?
My first thought is ... Teddy, for the love of all that is holy, don't run.

My second thought is ... Teddy, if you have to run, do not -- under any circumstance -- get hit.

Look, the guy weighs like 106 pounds. OK, that's an exaggeration, but he's a slightly built 6-3. He's not built to run. He'll get killed. Every time he leaves the pocket, I hold my breath.

There is ONE quarterback in the NFL having success running the ball, and that's Russell Wilson. Very few of his are designed running plays, and he is an absolute magician at not getting hit. Kaepernick is garbage. RGIII is garbage. Manziel is the most garbage of the garbage. Cam is constantly hurt. Everybody got all excited when RGIII ran all over the place his rookie year and Kaepernick went crazy in the playoffs a couple years back, but the truth is the running quarterback in the NFL was a quickly passing fad that accomplished very little in the long run except to put very valuable, highly paid quarterbacks at extreme risk.

Teddy Bridgewater is far too valuable as a passer to be running more than absolutely necessary.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: My first thought is ... Teddy, for the love of all that is holy, don't run.

My second thought is ... Teddy, if you have to run, do not -- under any circumstance -- get hit.

Look, the guy weighs like 106 pounds. OK, that's an exaggeration, but he's a slightly built 6-3. He's not built to run. He'll get killed. Every time he leaves the pocket, I hold my breath.

There is ONE quarterback in the NFL having success running the ball, and that's Russell Wilson. Very few of his are designed running plays, and he is an absolute magician at not getting hit. Kaepernick is garbage. RGIII is garbage. Manziel is the most garbage of the garbage. Cam is constantly hurt. Everybody got all excited when RGIII ran all over the place his rookie year and Kaepernick went crazy in the playoffs a couple years back, but the truth is the running quarterback in the NFL was a quickly passing fad that accomplished very little in the long run except to put very valuable, highly paid quarterbacks at extreme risk.

Teddy Bridgewater is far too valuable as a passer to be running more than absolutely necessary.
Agreed. Plus that's not Teddy's game. His instinct is to look down field for the completion first. Coaches spend a lot of time trying to get young QBs to do that instead of taking off running ... I can't see them trying to reverse that aspect of his game and teaching him to look more for the run.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Cliff wrote: Agreed. Plus that's not Teddy's game. His instinct is to look down field for the completion first. Coaches spend a lot of time trying to get young QBs to do that instead of taking off running ... I can't see them trying to reverse that aspect of his game and teaching him to look more for the run.
Very much agree with both of you.

I want Teddy to be a quarterback first and foremost, and an athlete a distant second. That means he needs to lead the team, read the field, call smart audibles, and find open receivers. Sure, if nothing is open and he has a lane, then Teddy is quick enough to use his feet. But I hope that's a last resort move. Even when he does it, I highly recommend that he slides instead of taking the kind of shellacking he'll absorb from NFL defenders.

Fortunately, neither Zimmer nor Turner are lunatics, so they're focusing on making Teddy the kind of franchise QB this team needs and not a one year flash in a constant body cast.

BTW, there is a world of difference between college ball and the NFL where overall athleticism is concerned. A player who is solely a great athlete can be a star player in college, but he'll need to be a student of the game to succeed in the NFL. I think Teddy is a smart player, which is why I think he can be a winning pro QB.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

The ability of the QB to run should never be understated. However, the QB that runs all the time has either a bad O-line or short NFL career. A QB that can run when needed is great. Like Aaron Rodgers. He does not run all the time, but he will. That is what you want. Someone who can run, but whose first instinct is to not run.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

I'd hate to see him locked in either way.

If the middle of the field is open and he can exploit it safely by running....then do it. Just avoid hits by sliding or getting out of bounds. A QB who can cover 15yds of open field on an obvious passing down can keep a drive going and swing mometum in a close game.

Cutler does it very well as does Rodgers and Rivers.

The only designed runs I would be in favor of would be draws in the red zone or naked boots on short yardage where he can get out of bounds.

Having said that, his ability to really take advantage of his quickness in those situations would likely increase the more solidly he establishes himself as a pure pocket passer.

I'm not in favor of desgined runs as a mainstay in the offense.... i don't think Turner has ever shown that inclination.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

http://www.nfl.com/voting/rookies/2014/YEAR/0

Vote for Teddy! OBJ has probably got this award on lock down, but hey, we gotta show our QB some love!
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:http://www.nfl.com/voting/rookies/2014/YEAR/0

Vote for Teddy! OBJ has probably got this award on lock down, but hey, we gotta show our QB some love!
just did :smilevike:
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

love that he's a candidate and Derek Carr is not. :thumbsup:

The raider's fans on the internet trying to argue he was more impressive than Teddy have started to get on my nerve
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Boy ... it was a good year to pick up a WR in the draft this year, it appears.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Well since I had nothing else to do, I decided to break down some stats on Teddy. Since it seems he turned the corner after the first Chicago game I broke down his season into two parts. New Orleans to the first Chicago game, which includes 6 complete games and most the NO game. And then the second GB game to the final game of the year, Chicago. 6 games. These are the numbers and how they stack up. Now, I know it may not mean much at this point, but it appears that he did turn a corner. Now I also added what his numbers would be if you took the last 6 games stats and spread them out to 16 games. I adjusted the interceptions taking out the three tipped passes that were intercepted. And I am showing the unadjusted number as well.

Code: Select all

Comp.   Att.  Percent   Yards    YPA   TD's  INT's    QB Rating
First 7 games.   137     225    60.9%    1479     6.6     4    6        75.0

Last 6 games.    122     177    68.9%    1440     8.1    10    6        98.1

Comp.    Att.    Percent    Yards   YPA     TD's   Adj. INT's    Adj. QB Rate     Unadjusted INT's  Unadjust QB Rate
Last 6 proj to 16.   325     472       68.9%    3840    8.1      27         8         105.4                  16             98.3

Now, this all means well, nothing. Unless the kid can keep it up or get better next year. But it gives me some hope that the Vikings may have found the QB we have been looking for. Only time will tell.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
maembe
Franchise Player

Post by maembe »

Cliff wrote:Boy ... it was a good year to pick up a WR in the draft this year, it appears.
Same with Linebacker:
Barr, Mosely, Mack, and Shazier all played at a really high level.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Someone on Reddit took the time to break down some plays Teddy made this past season. It is really worth the time if you have it!

http://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/2q ... idgewater/

Teddy has the ability to be great. It is on management now to make sure they surround him with more talent.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.