Young Theodore Bridgewater

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

A.D_blazing
Transition Player

Re: Young Theodore Bridgewater

Post by A.D_blazing »

Did Teddy Bridgewater Overtake Matthew Stafford as No. 2 QB in NFC North?
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2318 ... -nfc-north
Bridgewater can't match Stafford's volume stats. He threw for significantly fewer yards (2,919 to 4,257) and touchdowns (14 to 22). The Lions also won 11 games, compared to the six Minnesota won with Bridgewater as the starter. But peel away the mostly meaningless volume numbers, and Bridgewater's season stacks up well against Stafford's.

The rookie completed 64.4 percent of his passes (11th in the NFL, fourth best completion percentage ever for a rookie quarterback); Stafford only connected on 60.3 (25th). Bridgewater averaged 7.3 yards per attempt (14th); Stafford averaged 7.1 (19th).

Why are the two sets of numbers important? For starters, Bridgewater completed a significantly higher number of his overall attempts, while using his attempts more efficiently in terms of yards gained. And he did so without the help of a receiver such as Calvin Johnson or Golden Tate.
Most encouraging was Bridgewater's late-season progression.

Over four games in December, Bridgewater completed 72.3 percent of his passes (second in the NFL) and averaged 9.2 yards per attempt (first) and 273 passing yards per game (fifth). His overall passer rating was 99.8 (fourth). Among the four games was a mid-month trip to Detroit, where Bridgewater outplayed Stafford at Ford Field.

If any NFC North quarterback is capable of challenging Rodgers in coming years, it's Bridgewater—a young, promising passer with the necessary pocket presence, accuracy and poise to become one of the NFL's top 10 or 15 quarterbacks within the next one or two years.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I saw this earlier...I'm not willing to say he's there yet, but I think he will be soon.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Bridgewater did everything you want to see a rookie do and then some. If he continues to improve he'll be very good. Definitely haven't been this excited about a Vikings QB in a long time.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Cliff wrote:Bridgewater did everything you want to see a rookie do and then some. If he continues to improve he'll be very good. Definitely haven't been this excited about a Vikings QB in a long time.
I was looking at his numbers and I am impressed at his overall performance. I hope that his year he will cut down on his int's and improve in the amount of td production from him and the entire offense. His qbr was decent, yds per, and almost hit the 3,000 yd. plateau. Considering what he had to work with, if you think about it, it was pretty good.
Major League comes to mind and the two groundskeepers when the team starts making a run.. :lol:
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the ... rterbacks/

Nate Silver's boys analyze the NFL QB's ("45 quarterbacks with at least 10 starts in the past two years or 50 career starts since 2006"), and place them in 10 groups based on quality and consistency of performance. Teddy falls into the "Second Tier" group, which is actually fabulous, being in a group (as a rookie) with Luck, Kaepernick, Schaub, and Romo. That group only falls below Ryan, Brees, Brady, Manning, and Rodgers. It ranks above, well, everyone else - Cam Newton, David Garrard, Donovan McNabb, Eli Manning, Jay Cutler, Joe Flacco, and Robert Griffin III. Odd to me is that the second tier group is above the "On the Cusp" group of Ben Roethlisberger, Nick Foles, Philip Rivers and Russell Wilson, which to me seems to have some pretty near-elite QB's.

I don't know anyone but a statistician (or rabid Vikings fan) who would make that claim, but I'm not sad that the numbers point more towards Teddy being elite than to being in "The mixed bag" group.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

John_Viveiros wrote:http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the ... rterbacks/

Nate Silver's boys analyze the NFL QB's ("45 quarterbacks with at least 10 starts in the past two years or 50 career starts since 2006"), and place them in 10 groups based on quality and consistency of performance. Teddy falls into the "Second Tier" group, which is actually fabulous, being in a group (as a rookie) with Luck, Kaepernick, Schaub, and Romo. That group only falls below Ryan, Brees, Brady, Manning, and Rodgers. It ranks above, well, everyone else - Cam Newton, David Garrard, Donovan McNabb, Eli Manning, Jay Cutler, Joe Flacco, and Robert Griffin III. Odd to me is that the second tier group is above the "On the Cusp" group of Ben Roethlisberger, Nick Foles, Philip Rivers and Russell Wilson, which to me seems to have some pretty near-elite QB's.

I don't know anyone but a statistician (or rabid Vikings fan) who would make that claim, but I'm not sad that the numbers point more towards Teddy being elite than to being in "The mixed bag" group.
Very interesting reading. If gives me hope for the future. I like the interactive portion.

https://michaellopez.shinyapps.io/my_app/
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Wish they weren't using QBR as the barometer though. People knock PFF, have you seen some of the QBR numbers ESPN has thrown out?
cromulus
Backup

Post by cromulus »

John_Viveiros wrote:http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the ... rterbacks/

Not sure how much value I would put in that site. They also claimed Andrew Wiggins ceiling was James Posey around Christmas. Sample size needs to be larger to make any conclusions.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Demi wrote:Wish they weren't using QBR as the barometer though. People knock PFF, have you seen some of the QBR numbers ESPN has thrown out?
Can't say I like QBR so much.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I think QBR is flawed, but I think all "composite" stats are flawed and I've found QBR to be more accurate than the old rating.
mmvikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by mmvikes »

Nobody mentioning Teddy winning NFLs rookie of the year award yet?
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2g3bj ... them_sport

If anyone wants to watch: these are ALL of Teddy Bridgewater's 2014 regular season pass attempts. Every. Single. One. :o
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Woah! I'm gonna have to watch that last video when I get the time and see what I think.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Ok, just to keep the thread going. I was talking to someone about Red Zone passing and he mentioned that Bridgewater was good in the Red zone. So I was wondering how good. So I put together some stats that I picked off ESPN's site. One more thing, although Bridgewater does not have a high number of attempts in the red zone, when he is there, he has a higher "TD percentage per red zone appearance" than any of the QB's listed. The other players averaged 5.5 Red Zone pass attempts per game. TB averaged 2.3

Code: Select all

CMP   ATT   YDS    CMP%    AVG   LNG    TD    TD %  INT   SACK	   RATE
Rodgers		51	 96   293	 53.1	3.05	 18	 24	25.0%	1	   4       94.3
Brady		  44	 74   293    59.5	3.96	 19	 25	33.8%	2      4       96.4
Luck         48	 82   230    58.5	2.81	 17	 23	28.0%	1	   6       97.9
Manning P.   69	105   458    65.7	4.36	 18	 25	23.8%	1      2      110.6
Bridge       18	 25   142    72.0   5.68	 17	  8	32.0%	1	   4      108.7
Romo         32	 50   256    64.0   5.12	 19	 19	38.0%	1	   3      108.0
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966