Spielman's 7: The draft picks must develop to be a success

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Spielman's 7: The draft picks must develop to be a success

Post by Mothman »

Here's a good, long read from Star Tribune writer Matt Vensel:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 98031.html
The Vikings haven’t been able to field a consistent winner since General Manager Rick Spielman took control of their draft room. But as far as NFL draftniks are concerned, the Vikings have been undefeated in the months of April and May.

With an unprecedented run, at least in the modern-day NFL, of seven players drafted in the first round in three years, the Vikings were immediately crowned by many observers with keyboards as big “winners” after the first round of each of the 2012, 2013 and 2014 drafts.

In 2012, one prominent NFL writer called Spielman the “shrewdest among the wheelers and dealers” after he selected both left tackle Matt Kalil and safety Harrison Smith in Round 1.

A year later, the league’s official website said the Vikings “nailed it” after adding defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd, cornerback Xavier Rhodes and wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson before Mel Kiper Jr.’s hair gel melted under the bright lights at Radio City Music Hall.

And this past May, the Vikings had another “huge draft” when they selected outside linebacker Anthony Barr then double-dipped with quarterback Teddy Bridgewater.

“I can’t tell you how exciting it is to be able to be a part of this draft and to do things we’ve been able to do the last couple of years,” Spielman said in May, minutes after trading back into the first round for a third straight draft.

But for Spielman and the Vikings, the wheeling and dealing was the easy part.

Now the Vikings and new coach Mike Zimmer must develop those seven first-round picks from promising youngsters into proven stars. Each of them, including rookies Barr and Bridgewater, have been tossed into the pool, giving the Vikings one of the NFL’s youngest rosters. And it’s up to Zimmer and his experienced coaching staff to make sure Spielman’s seven don’t sink, all while trying to keep this team afloat in the loaded NFC.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Spielman's 7: The draft picks must develop to be a succe

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Great article. This is actually a big reason why I like Spielman is because of how active he is on draft day. He's the only GM out there that strives to get multiple players on that 5th year option (more than 1 first rounder). When these up and coming 1 rounders' contracts hit their 4th year, it's going to be nice to hold onto them for another year before having to extend them. So far, Spielman has been pretty lights out with his 1st rounders. When it comes to Kalil, he pretty much did that to himself. Outside of that, we have had pretty successful first rounders so far.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Great article. This is actually a big reason why I like Spielman is because of how active he is on draft day. He's the only GM out there that strives to get multiple players on that 5th year option (more than 1 first rounder). When these up and coming 1 rounders' contracts hit their 4th year, it's going to be nice to hold onto them for another year before having to extend them. So far, Spielman has been pretty lights out with his 1st rounders. When it comes to Kalil, he pretty much did that to himself. Outside of that, we have had pretty successful first rounders so far.
I also think other teams maybe haven't caught up with the fact that after the rookie wage scale 1st round picks are undervalued. The "chart" is completely out of date IMO because of how much less it costs to sign a first round pick.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

I think this article once again proves just how much of a crap-shoot the draft is.

Personally, I liked the seven players at the time they were picked. I still do. But will the Vikings bat seven for seven with them? It's difficult to do that in the NFL.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote: I also think other teams maybe haven't caught up with the fact that after the rookie wage scale 1st round picks are undervalued. The "chart" is completely out of date IMO because of how much less it costs to sign a first round pick.
Excellent point. They don't have the crazy impact on the salary cap they once had. Strategically speaking, I think Spielman's approach to the last 3 drafts has been smart. now we have to see if the actual choices he made work out...
losperros wrote:I think this article once again proves just how much of a crap-shoot the draft is.

Personally, I liked the seven players at the time they were picked. I still do. But will the Vikings bat seven for seven with them? It's difficult to do that in the NFL.
It sure is and honestly, I think it's unlikely. I don't know if they'll end up with a a serious bust among those players but I doubt they're all destined to become perennial Pro Bowl players either. Hopefully, the worst they get out of the bunch will still be a solid contributor. Bridgewater is the one that really needs to pan out.
mmvikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by mmvikes »

fiestavike wrote: I also think other teams maybe haven't caught up with the fact that after the rookie wage scale 1st round picks are undervalued. The "chart" is completely out of date IMO because of how much less it costs to sign a first round pick.
I think the chart was out of date even before the rookie wage scale. It was developed by Jimmy Johnson back when he was with Dallas. In the years leading up to the rookie wage scale, the front end 1st rounders salaries were ridiculous. They hamstrung teams in relation to the cap for an unproven player making a high 1st rounder undesirable. It not only hurt the teams against the salary cap, the picks became tough to trade because the trading team knew it would cost a lot. I have been wondering when a new chart would be coming out.
Maybe Rick has a secret chart he hasn't put out yet.