The future of Matt Kalil

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: The future of Matt Kalil

Post by The Breeze »

saint33 wrote: Matt Kalil's body language and even his demeanor in interviews has always struck me as odd since he was drafted. In fact back when we drafted him, I was one of the only people who had a few doubts about Kalil working out, and that was part of it. I just don't see a high level of competitiveness in him, he says all the right things but he doesn't really seem like he means it. And his demeanor on the field is as if he just doesn't care.

I'm only speculating here, but I think a huge issue with Kalil is his preparation and will to be great. In college he was so gifted athletically it allowed him to dominate, but he lacked that "mean streak". And now I think looking back that lack of a "mean streak" might have been a sign that he lacks a real desire to be great, and he simply can't rely on his physical gifts at this level.
I could see there being something to this. Thrown in the whole issue about having to constantly overeat to maintain weight and the desire issue becomes amplified. Just piling on the speculation.....

Maybe having to struggle with this kind of adversity will light a fire under him. I seriously doubt he's had that much experience with failure as a Tackle. Not that he's failed....but he's definitely getting a wake up call.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

There's a good article about Kalil on the Star tribune site:

Vikings' Kalil digs out of a hole at left tackle

The article addresses the issues he's been having, some reasons for them, and even touches on the PFF "debate". It's well worth reading.
DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by DanAS »

Mothman wrote:I think he's almost a lock to remain their starting left tackle for the duration of his rookie contract. After that, who knows?
Well, I'm still in the midst of my boycott (three weeks to go) so I can't really say how awful he has been. But as a general matter, this is the one position in football that teams can't afford to put the worst guy on the field. If Kalil is truly as bad as some have suggested, he could easily be responsible for a play that leads to the destruction of Bridgewater's career. Then you won't be replacing one player, you'll be rebuilding the guts of your offense.

Sane NFL teams put their best lack tackles on the field if their starting QB is a keeper. That is among the very few propositions in life that we know for sure. Others include "I think, therefore I am," and "all bachelors are unmarried."
DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by DanAS »

Mothman wrote:There's a good article about Kalil on the Star tribune site:

The article addresses the issues he's been having, some reasons for them, and even touches on the PFF "debate". It's well worth reading.
Thanks for the article. I sent my last post before reading it. Let's hope this guy's worst days are behind him. Though I have to say, something is seriously wrong if his knee was that bad and he didn't think to tell anyone or the brain trust thought it best to rush him back too soon. When you're a LT, you have responsibilities to more than just yourself -- you've got a QB's health in your hands (and legs).
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote:There's a good article about Kalil on the Star tribune site:

Thanks Moth,

I don't know how much credence to give the piece but its interesting to hear Kalil's analysis of his own struggles.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

He's a BUST. I don't care if people don't like the word, its what describes him. Time for him to ride the pine. What a waste of a pick and the salary cap. I would when his come back is supposed to happen? Or his giving a ####. He is the equivalent of Robinson on the other side of the ball. Against weak opponents they sometimes can look average. I am so tired of below average players with all these picks Rick gets.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:He's a BUST. I don't care if people don't like the word, its what describes him. Time for him to ride the pine. What a waste of a pick and the salary cap. I would when his come back is supposed to happen? Or his giving a ####. He is the equivalent of Robinson on the other side of the ball. Against weak opponents they sometimes can look average. I am so tired of below average players with all these picks Rick gets.
Come again?
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:He's a BUST. I don't care if people don't like the word, its what describes him. Time for him to ride the pine. What a waste of a pick and the salary cap. I would when his come back is supposed to happen? Or his giving a ####. He is the equivalent of Robinson on the other side of the ball. Against weak opponents they sometimes can look average. I am so tired of below average players with all these picks Rick gets.
Yeah because guys like Barr, Hodges, Floyd, Rhodes, etc are all below average right? And Robinson played against NE, NO, ATL, DET, GB....those are actually stronger opponents and he did fine. He played horrible today but one bad game this year doesn't mean he's terrible. QBs completion % throwing his way has been low all year except for obviously this game.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Texas Vike wrote: Come again?
Horribly written on my part. Was trying to comment on his thoughts (read the first post) and how he just keeps regressing. He is getting blown up, and shows very little motivation, even pointing out this is what he needs to work on.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Yeah because guys like Barr, Hodges, Floyd, Rhodes, etc are all below average right? And Robinson played against NE, NO, ATL, DET, GB....those are actually stronger opponents and he did fine. He played horrible today but one bad game this year doesn't mean he's terrible. QBs completion % throwing his way has been low all year except for obviously this game.
Again, if I had as many picks as Rick has, I could find players like these. If you were a Lion fan, you would still be loving Millen.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I think he needs to sit. Whoever is behind him can't be any worse. Or, move Charlie Johnson over and use his backup. Something. It scares me that he is still playing... it smells of Frasier playing Jared Allen or Erin HEnderson for so long because of their name rather than sitting them when they can't do their job anymore.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

I would hate to play with Kalil. Whenever he gives up a sack he just stands there like "oh well". At least help up your damn QB who took a hit for your laziness! To me it screams no leadership and definitely not a team player.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Horribly written on my part. Was trying to comment on his thoughts (read the first post) and how he just keeps regressing. He is getting blown up, and shows very little motivation, even pointing out this is what he needs to work on.

No doubt about it. It's really frustrating. He sure helped solve Jared Allen's woes this season, at least for one week. We need to invest in the OL. We could use some WRs too. I wish we'd spend 2nd rd. picks on WRs religiously like the Packers do.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

How many snaps did he play?
How many sacks did he give up?
Better more often than not, extend him. :roll:

Honestly. How do you give up sack after sack, and then just stand there like a twit. That first one the tight end has him, he gets by, complete lack of effort as he just reaches out. Wonder if the coaching staff will keep trying to make excuses or change it up and tell him he's about to lose his job...

Most sacks allowed in the NFL, and then this game? :puke:
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Demi wrote:How many snaps did he play?
How many sacks did he give up?
Better more often than not, extend him. :roll:

Honestly. How do you give up sack after sack, and then just stand there like a twit. That first one the tight end has him, he gets by, complete lack of effort as he just reaches out. Wonder if the coaching staff will keep trying to make excuses or change it up and tell him he's about to lose his job...

Most sacks allowed in the NFL, and then this game? :puke:
Let's also not forget that the Vikings had an extra week to prepare for this game. They could have done work with the OL but chiose to give the team the week off last week, which although is normal for teams, is a decision that I don'g agree with especially given the problems they have had in some ares.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018