Numbers show Vikings pass defense is better

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Numbers show Vikings pass defense is better

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Mothman wrote:I think the improvement we're seeing this year is the result of a whole bunch of factors, all of which are helping:

— They added Munnerlyn and Robinson and Rhodes are both maturing. Their athleticism enables the Vikes to run more man-to man coverage and I thought all along that was probably why they were drafted. We saw more of toward the end of last year and it helped.

— Having Smith healthy. he made a big difference in the secondary i as a rookie and I thought his absence was really felt last season. He fits into what Zimmer's doing very well.

— Blanton stepping up and developing as a safety. It takes time to make a position switch like that and he's been a pretty solid presence in the secondary this year.

— Changes at linebacker: I think this has been big. Brinkley has provided a steady presence in the middle but Barr has been an impact player and the Vikes have needed an impact player at LB for a long time. It's a "game-changer" because Barr has range in coverage and pursuit but can also be extremely disruptive as a pass rusher. It's hard to overstate his impact.

— Perhaps the biggest difference: a deep, talented defensive line. The Vikes needed to get younger and better up front and they now have a deep rotation of defensive lineman who can really collapse the pocket and get after the QB. Winning at the line of scrimmage makes everyone behind these guys look better and they're winning at the line a lot lately.

— Last, but far from least: Zimmer and his defensive staff. Zimmer's known as a good teacher with a proven system and he's particularly known as a coach who can help defensive backs. The scheme, coverage, and pass-rushing techniques they're teaching these players are paying dividends. It's been fun to watch. It's particularly impressive to see how Floyd is becoming an impact player as he adjusts to the new scheme and what he's learning. Again, it takes time to learn in the NFL and some of these guys are still learning but it's clear that most of them are making progress as they gain experience. It's scary to think how good Barr might be when he has more of the latter.
I agree on all counts. Nice post :v):

Also, lets not forget, some of this success should be pointing at the guy who signed/drafted these players as well. By no means am I trying to get into that argument again but it's the realistic way of looking at it.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Also, one thing I have noticed about Munnerlyn is the times he does get beat, he's playing on the outside. He got his INT yesterday when he was playing in the slot. However, when he was beat by Jackson for the TD AND the deep ball, he was playing on the outside. This is another reason why I think we could really benefit from another big, outside CB like Rhodes. In turn, Robinson would be our 4th CB and provide quality depth on the outside where he is more comfortable playing.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
MikethePurple
Veteran

Post by MikethePurple »

Demi wrote:Even with the defensive line play, the secondary has been much better in coverage. Rhodes is usually right on his guy, even if that doesn't always result in a pass breakup. Robinson is playing much better. And while Blanton may get run over regularly, he seems to hold his own when asked to cover. Amazing how much better this defense looks when it has competent coaching. heck we let a couple veteran defensive linemen walk, plugged in some young guys, and didn't miss a beat!

Imagine this defense with another play making linebacker! :smilevike:

(All these good stats make me wonder just where our strength of schedule is in some areas though. can't help myself....)
I'm not sure of the strength of schedule at this point but considering some of the qbs the Vikings have gone up against so far (Brady, Brees, Ryan, Rodgers, Stafford) it seems pretty good that they would be at #4. Granted, you can throw in Orton, Glennon and Austin in there but considering the overall opponents and passing offenses I think it's quite an accomplishment. Especially considering where they were last year.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:I agree on all counts. Nice post :v):
Thanks. :)
Also, lets not forget, some of this success should be pointing at the guy who signed/drafted these players as well. By no means am I trying to get into that argument again but it's the realistic way of looking at it.
I agree and frankly, at least a little of it should probably even be pointed back at the previous staff. Everybody who had a hand in drafting and developing the young talent that's helping to revitalize the defense deserves some credit for their contribution. For example, this quote from a recent Strib article illustrates the influence it's had on Smith:
Smith, the safety, said that the individualized training he had with former position coach Joe Woods and current defensive backs coach Jerry Gray played the biggest role in his development from No. 29 pick into a potential Pro Bowl player in his third season.

“That’s the real difference in the NFL,” Smith said. “I’ve only been here a couple of years, but everybody is talented, everybody is athletic and everybody can run. But the guys who can pick it up quick, I think that’s where you see the difference.”
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

MikethePurple wrote:I'm not sure of the strength of schedule at this point but considering some of the qbs the Vikings have gone up against so far (Brady, Brees, Ryan, Rodgers, Stafford) it seems pretty good that they would be at #4. Granted, you can throw in Orton, Glennon and Austin in there but considering the overall opponents and passing offenses I think it's quite an accomplishment. Especially considering where they were last year.
It is, although their accomplishments against those better QBs are mitigated somewhat when you consider the nature of those losses, especially to GB and NE, who combined for over 300 yards on the ground. Rodgers was sitting comfortably on the bench by the end of the GB game because it was well in hand. NE had a huge lead and could afford to play the clock rather than pushing the ball downfield.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Mothman wrote:I think the improvement we're seeing this year is the result of a whole bunch of factors, all of which are helping:

— They added Munnerlyn and Robinson and Rhodes are both maturing. Their athleticism enables the Vikes to run more man-to man coverage and I thought all along that was probably why they were drafted. We saw more of toward the end of last year and it helped.

— Having Smith healthy. he made a big difference in the secondary i as a rookie and I thought his absence was really felt last season. He fits into what Zimmer's doing very well.

— Blanton stepping up and developing as a safety. It takes time to make a position switch like that and he's been a pretty solid presence in the secondary this year.

— Changes at linebacker: I think this has been big. Brinkley has provided a steady presence in the middle but Barr has been an impact player and the Vikes have needed an impact player at LB for a long time. It's a "game-changer" because Barr has range in coverage and pursuit but can also be extremely disruptive as a pass rusher. It's hard to overstate his impact.

— Perhaps the biggest difference: a deep, talented defensive line. The Vikes needed to get younger and better up front and they now have a deep rotation of defensive lineman who can really collapse the pocket and get after the QB. Winning at the line of scrimmage makes everyone behind these guys look better and they're winning at the line a lot lately.

— Last, but far from least: Zimmer and his defensive staff. Zimmer's known as a good teacher with a proven system and he's particularly known as a coach who can help defensive backs. The scheme, coverage, and pass-rushing techniques they're teaching these players are paying dividends. It's been fun to watch. It's particularly impressive to see how Floyd is becoming an impact player as he adjusts to the new scheme and what he's learning. Again, it takes time to learn in the NFL and some of these guys are still learning but it's clear that most of them are making progress as they gain experience. It's scary to think how good Barr might be when he has more of the latter.
I've got to hand it to you, Jim.

When you say you want to wait and see about a coach, you mean it. And when you say you'll admit when you're on board with a guy, you mean that, too.

I've been in the Zimmer camp all along. Meh, so what? It was based on gut feel, intuition, and testimony of guys who played for him. Nothing factual. And besides, I was once in the Childress camp, too. Shows you what I know.

Anyway, this is an excellent post. Thank you for being a man of your word.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
MikethePurple
Veteran

Post by MikethePurple »

Mothman wrote: It is, although their accomplishments against those better QBs are mitigated somewhat when you consider the nature of those losses, especially to GB and NE, who combined for over 300 yards on the ground. Rodgers was sitting comfortably on the bench by the end of the GB game because it was well in hand. NE had a huge lead and could afford to play the clock rather than pushing the ball downfield.
True. Especially due to the turnovers in the New England game. However, the run defense is still relatively respectable (ranked #15) rather than being completely lobsided. I guess I'm just impressed at the substantial turnaround from last year. From both the eye test and the stat line.

New Orleans, Atlanta, and Detroit were passing quite heavily but the defense held their own and within the sample of 9 games, I am still impressed.

My guess is that some other teams would have similar situations affecting their stat rankings. We've seen stat padding happen on both sides during garbage time or other situations during the game that can skew standings. I guess context matters in these situations and rankings. But regardless the improvement we've seen this year is undeniable and is very encouraging!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:I've got to hand it to you, Jim.

When you say you want to wait and see about a coach, you mean it. And when you say you'll admit when you're on board with a guy, you mean that, too.

I've been in the Zimmer camp all along. Meh, so what? It was based on gut feel, intuition, and testimony of guys who played for him. Nothing factual. And besides, I was once in the Childress camp, too. Shows you what I know.
LOL! Well, I was firmly in Tice's camp and that didn't work out either.
Anyway, this is an excellent post. Thank you for being a man of your word.
Wow... thank you for the kind words. I appreciate them.

I see very little, if anything, to really dislike about Zimmer thus far and plenty to like, including his sense of humor. :)
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Mothman wrote: LOL! Well, I was firmly in Tice's camp and that didn't work out either.
I was in both of those camps. It was cold and rainy. There was nothing to eat but Ramen noodles.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

When Mike Tice was coach, he was at the draft and a reporter asked him if he remembered what his 40yd dash time was. He replied, "I ran a 4.5 forty, I ran it in 4-5 days!"
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter