Vikings' McKinnon runs on the cutting edge

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Vikings' McKinnon runs on the cutting edge

Post by Mothman »

John_Viveiros wrote:Really? College QB who touched the ball every play is getting exhausted in his 5th pro game (he had a max of two runs in the first three) after 20 touches?

Being tired after four or five consecutive runs isn't a reason to keep the ball out of his hands in the next quarter (45 or so actual minutes later).

I'm frankly shocked this is being "debated". But if you all feel this was a good coaching decision because McKinnon can't handle a full game's duties, I'll shut up about it.
I think some of it was just situational. They gave him a breather on the possession after the TD. I don't know if that had anything to do with field position or if they just wanted to let him rest and give Asiata some carries but it's worth mentioning that possession began (and unfortunately, ended) in the shadow of their own goal line, at the 7 yard line. Maybe they feel Asiata is better with ball security?

McKinnon was in and out on the next series and had two carries but the drive stalled at the TB 41.

The Vikes only had the ball two more times. McKinnon's absence on the final drive was likely because they had two minutes to score and Asiata is the better pass protector. Why they went with Asiata on the previous possession is anybody's guess. Maybe they wanted "fresh legs". Maybe it was due to pass protection again. They didn't abandon the run but they definitely used McKinnon less late. It will be interesting to see what happens in similar situations the rest of the year.