This Week's Enemy Fan Forums: The Washington Redskins

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

frosted
Career Elite Player

This Week's Enemy Fan Forums: The Washington Redskins

Post by frosted »

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,
We come from the land of the ice and snow,
From the midnight sun where the hot springs flow.
The hammer of the defense will drive our ships to new lands,
To fight the Pack, singing and crying: Valhalla, I am coming!

Stat Box: Offense

Code: Select all

312 Total Yards/Game (29th in NFL)
190.3 Passing Yards/Game (31st in NFL)
121.8 Rushing Yards/Game (11th in NFL)
17.4 Points/Game (29th in NFL)
Stat Box: Defense

Code: Select all

323.8 Total Yards/Game (8th in NFL)
212.1 Passing Yards/Game (4th in NFL)
111.6 Rushing Yards/Game (17th in NFL)
21.6 Points/Game (12th in NFL)
Random thoughts/observations:

* It's great to win a game in 'walkoff' fashion for once, after being on the other end of it so often last season (and last week, for that matter).

* I haven't gone back and watched the All 22 yet, but just off the TV copy Sunday, it seemed like Shariff Floyd played his best game as a pro. That's encouraging, he has had some up and down moments in his young career, but he looks like he is beginning to turn the corner. Our defensive line is looking like a strength of this team, with Floyd, Griffen, Linval, Tom Johnson, Wooten, Robison all contributing.

* Anthony Barr is such an incredible athlete. He reminds me of a big bear who happens to run a 4.6 40. I think I'll start calling him Anthony Bear.

* Jeff Locke really pisses me off. That is starting to look like a bad draft pick. He needs to punt his a$$ off the rest of the season, as far as I am concerned. The defense could be put in much better spots if he would do his job on a more regular basis.

* I thought the offensive line was still pretty bad in pass protection, despite only allowing the one sack.

* McKinnon did a great job getting what was blocked (and more) again. Exciting stuff.

* Robert Blanton has been better than I expected him to be so far this season. He's not a special player by any means, and he has missed some tackles here and there (hello, Eddie Lacy), but overall he has looked good in coverage, and is doing his job. Good for you, Bob.

* Ted is a work in progress, there's no doubt about that. He flashed some of his first round ability again on Sunday, but he also had some terrible throws. Sometimes I worry about his arm talent, but it seems it is more inconsistent than anything, because he makes the throws 60% of the time. His decision making is definitely improving, for the most part. If he can just keep progressing, I will feel that much better about our franchise going forward.

* Flash sighting! Hopefully not just a one week thing against a favorable defensive matchup. He did well sitting down in the soft spots in Tampa Bay's zones. I'll be paying close attention to Patterson this week - hopefully he continues to make strides.

* The offense, as a whole, was still pathetic. But it got better. The defense looked strong again. I'd rather see a great defense and a crappy offense than a great offense and a crappy defense, so there's that. I'd prefer a great offense and defense, obviously.

Back home to Minneapolis this weekend to play the Redskins. I'm not sure what to expect in this one yet. I really, really, really, really, really, really (really) want to see us win this game, and start a winning streak. Zimmer's old pal Jay Gruden has the Redskins off to a 3-5 start, just as Zimmer has us off to a 3-5 start. I'm sure these two are familiar with one another's schemes, having coached together in Cincy. Washington is ranked 7th in the NFL in offensive yards/game. They are scoring 21.4 points/game. Their passing offense is 5th in yards/game (289). That will be a big challenge for our 4th ranked passing defense. Defensively, they are 11th in yards allowed/game, but are allowing 25 points/game. I think they're actually a pretty good football team, but they are killing themselves in terms of protecting the football. They are 30th in the NFL in give/take at -8. This will be a difficult game to win. I hope we get Gerald Hodges back this week. We need to play smart, limit big plays, and get the offense going early if we hope to start our first winning streak of the season.

Key Players to Contain - Redskins Offense

* DeSean Jackson (WR): Always a big play threat, Jackson has seemingly done it with all the Redskins quarterbacks under center this season. Even with Colt McCoy taking snaps last week, he was able to get his. We need to be careful with him, because he can break a game wide open.

* Alfred Morris (RB): The always reliable Alf is a very solid running back. He breaks a ton of tackles, and is a hard charging, north/south back. Last year, when we played Washington, Morris ran for 139 yards.

* Jordan Reed (TE): Reed is a nice tight end - very athletic. If you saw Monday Night Football this past week, you saw Reed make a sick catch on the sideline against the Cowboys. He could give us trouble down the seams - additionally, Washington flexes him at wide out as well.

* Robert Griffin III (QB): I'm not sure if we'll see him, but it sounds like he'll play if he's cleared. I don't think he's nearly the threat he was when we saw him as a rookie, but he could still do some damage with his legs as well as his arm, I would imagine.

* Pierre Garcon (WR): I have to show some love for Pierre. I really wanted us to sign him that year we pursued him in free agency. He's a great wide receiver, and Washington seems to have forgotten that a bit this year, as he's been much less involved in their offense. Still, he can do big things if we let him catch the football and run with it.

Key Players to Neutralize - Redskins Defense

* Jason Hatcher (DE): The big boy is a 3-4 defensive end for Washington, but would probably be a DT for us in our 4-3. He can get after the quarterback, and he'll be a handful for our guys to block. He worries me a lot.

* Ryan Kerrigan (LB): The former first round pick already has 7.5 sacks this season.

* Brandon Meriweather (SS): He's really quite bad in pass coverage, but he is a monster hitter, and great in run support. We need to cover both points of the ball when he's in the area.

Here are the enemy fan forums for this week:

Extreme Skins

http://es.redskins.com/forum/10-the-stadium/

The Hogs.net

http://www.thehogs.net/forum/viewforum. ... b6891e0b1f

Football's Future

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/v ... m.php?f=38

Hail Redskins

http://www.hailredskins.com/vbforum/for ... 72d8c6&f=6

What they're saying:
Tony Romo was sacked 5 times in the game against the Cowboys and it was clear that the defense did a great job of masking where the blitz was coming from. That was against a division QB that has seen our defensive schemes enough to recognize them. Teddy Bridgewater may not be so lucky. While he has mobility, he is still a rookie and the Redskins will have to play motivated defense to get to him often. Rattle him up and get him nervous.
If the Redskins can come into this game focused and ready to play football, put aside the win against Dallas, all the after game hype and just play football, this should be a no brainer. I dont feel that the Redskins will get over that Monday night win until the 2nd half and then find themselves in a close battle but pulling away in the end.
Bad feeling we come back to Earth this game. Am expecting a loss.
3-6
Revenge is a dish best served cold!

I predict the Redskins get revenge this game for a game they let slip through their fingers a year ago in Minnesota. If the Redskins had won last year in Minny - like they should of - they would have been 4-5 after the win.

That's the same record they'll have if they win this Sunday.

Last years team was spiraling out of control because of disagreements between coaching staff and the starting quarterback.

The Redskins seem to be trending upward at this point if the season where a year ago when they faced Minny they were a mess internally and psychologically which, showed it's ugly head after the Minnesota loss and the rest of the season as the team wouldn't win another game after the Minnesota loss.

I think this coaching staff is pushing all the right buttons right now! I think they have their pulse on the team and know what to do and most importantly the team is listening and believes!

These are things the last coaching staff lost over the course of last years dreadful year.

We have to keep the pressure coming on the Qb - especially the rookie Brodgewater.

We have to get the ball to Morris more, he still didn't have over 20 carries last game eventhough the team had 31 attempts between Morris, McCoy, Helu & Redd.

We have to get the ball to Garçon more! Ughh it's frustrating how we don't throw the ball to him on in routes, crossing routes, screens and dig routes. Andre Roberts has more targets than Pierre Garçon does over the past 5 games - awful!

We need more pressure from our four or 5 without having to blitz!

We have to continue to do what we're doing with DJax & Reed in the passing game. Our coverage from our ILBs and secondary must remain as good as it was vs Dallas but we need our DBs to maybe catch a few of those passes instead of just knocking them away.

I predict the a Redskins win:

Skins: 27
Vikes: 13
Mike Zimmer is the head coach for Minnesota Vikings. Grudes and Zimmer coached on the Bengals staff from 2011-2013.

How well does Grudes know Zimmer's defense? Better yet, how well does Zimmer know Grdues' offense?

This could be a really exciting chess match of a football game.
I honestly don't think that either really has an advantage. Clearly, each probably know the other's tendencies, but, eh, they both know that and will change things up. It's going to come down to execution.

Here's another interesting matchup, though: Haslett vs. Norv.

Say what you want about Norv as a HC, as an OC, he's VERY VERY good. And I'd be willing to bet that somewhere deep down inside, he'd STILL like to stick it to Dan in some way.
He won't be as dangerous w/o Adrian Peterson but I expect Teddy Bridgewater to scamper all over Haslett's defense. Man, we need this one going into the bye.
I think Jay has the advantage.

There are only so many coverages and calls to a defense.
On offenses there are so many possibilities.

And Jay has better personnel then Mike.
This week the Redskins go up against a Vikings team which squeaked by a scrappy Tampa Bay team, no Adrian Peterson to deal with, so all should be well, right?
Not exactly.

This is the prototypical 'let down' game that happens so often in the NFL, a big time underdog winning a game no one gave a chance of them winning, spirits are high, confidence higher, but this could be a game that determines if the Redskins want to seriously try and make a run for paloffs, dare I say division title?

Look for a much harder battle than it first appears to be, on the road, coupled with that uber-annoying horn or whatever the Vikings blow [ damn thats annoying thinking about it ] it could be a game that comes down to the wire.

When the dust settles and the Viking ships sink,
Redskins 34
Vikings 19
21 - 17 Skins win on a late TD.
This is a tough one. While the Redskins are known to **** the bed the week after a big win like last night's win in OT against the Cowgirls, I have a feeling our defense will keep us in a close one against the Vikings.

Skins 31
Vikings 30
Gentlemen, we have a season again. If nothing else, this Washington Redskins team made it clear on Monday Night that they are intent on competing THIS YEAR.

As for the Vikings game, I fear McCoy comes back down to earth a little bit. And this is The NFL. I expect Minnesota's best shot; it'll be close, but I think we grind one out.

Washington 23
Minnesota 19
After that exciting win against the cowboys it makes the Vikings game even more important than we ever thought. Yes it can be said every game is a must win, but this is especially important with it being a winnable game, bye week, Robert returning soom, Bucs first game after the bye. Lastly, I would feel confident if Colt started this game and let Robert rest 2 more weeks. Although, before the game the TV showed Roberts mobility and I think he just needs to work on his skills with the offense. Colt is gutsy, manages the game and doesn't make many awful mistakes.
It's another game - we are no better than we were last week or than we've been all season - we did not win games we should have won - we're a better team than most give us credit for but we still have issues that only time can fix

I hope McCoy plays as I think Griffin needs the time and really there's no difference if he plays this week or waits

Griffin gives this team a better QB but he needs the guys around him and they're not getting here till next season

this team can win every game and things won't change - we need O linemen and we need Defensive linemen + secondary help

Gruden and the coaches saw what can happen when these guys play the way they have been coached and with desire - there were mistakes but the players and coaches kept believing in each other

the object is to try and win every game but most importantly to determine who the guys are we can build this team around

WE DO HAVE OUR QB - that is a huge plus
I cant say I see this game as a must win but more as a momentum building game. We should win this game, that is what scares me and after a mentally and physical big win against the Cowpukes they really to need to be on there game. IMO now I will see what the Skins are really made of. As for RGIII and the way the schedule is setup for the rest of the year, let Colt play this game and give RGIII the extra 2 weeks rest because if we are 4-5 going into the bye do I dare say we might be able to make a division title push???. Last 3 games at NY, home against Eagles and Cowpukes and with alittle help who knows.
Yeah if Haslett continues to bring the pressures and mix up the coverage’s I’d feel good about this game. Problem is Haslett has not shown the ability to be consistent. He’s made some of the rawest QB’s look like Peyton Manning by calling conservative games. We can’t let Bridgewater get comfortable…
Go Vikes!
frosted
Career Elite Player

Re: This Week's Enemy Fan Forums: The Washington Redskins

Post by frosted »

Sorry about the weak analysis of Washington defensive players to neutralize - admittedly I don't know much about their defense.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Found this funny:
Look for a much harder battle than it first appears to be, on the road, coupled with that uber-annoying horn or whatever the Vikings blow [ damn thats annoying thinking about it ] it could be a game that comes down to the wire.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I'm actually stunned by these Redskin comments. They actually think they have a far better team than the Vikings.

I can't wait for our defense to blast these losers.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

They insulted our horn. Unforgivable.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

3-5 Redskins @ 3-5 Vikings

Wow a lot of homers.... the teams have the same record and they're acting like they're playing the Raiders or something.

If our defense continues to play the way it has of late, I'm not looking forward to the RG3 vs. Colt McCoy debates on every sports channel/website for the next two weeks
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:Found this funny:
That horn seems to bother a lot of non-Vikings fans. I just think it's cool. :)
DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by DanAS »

Mothman wrote: That horn seems to bother a lot of non-Vikings fans. I just think it's cool. :)
It's certainly preferable to that music the Washington team makes, which used to have the lyrics "Scalp 'em" and "Fight for Old Dixie."
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I found it interesting that they want their defense to blitz. Bridgewater actually seems to be better against the blitz than when he has time to make a real decision.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Cliff wrote:I found it interesting that they want their defense to blitz. Bridgewater actually seems to be better against the blitz than when he has time to make a real decision.
Sad but true.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Cliff wrote:I found it interesting that they want their defense to blitz. Bridgewater actually seems to be better against the blitz than when he has time to make a real decision.
I think the part of your post I highlighted partially explains why they want to see their team blitz. They won't want to give him time. However, Washington has been pretty successful when blitzing this season and they blitz more than most teams in the league so more than anything else, it seems to be a part of their defensive identity.

On top of all that, football fans love blitzes. :)

The Vikes seem to expect it and if they can handle it, good things could happen:

http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikin ... -to-handle
Washington has been burned on some blitzes this season -- opponents have thrown six TDs to one interception when the Redskins blitz this season -- and some options could be there for Bridgewater if he can locate them quickly.

"They’re able to do different things to cause havoc in your pass protection schemes," he said. "But I’m pretty sure we’re going to put together a scheme that’s going to allow us to play fast and think less."
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

frosted21 wrote:* Jeff Locke really pisses me off. That is starting to look like a bad draft pick. He needs to punt his a$$ off the rest of the season, as far as I am concerned. The defense could be put in much better spots if he would do his job on a more regular basis.
I don't think he's that bad but he definitely needs to improve.

I don't like the philosophical change we've seen in football in regard to the punting game. This might make me sound old but I remember when punters routinely looked for the "coffin corner" when punting from around midfield and when returners would almost never fair catch or even field a punt inside the 10 yard line (heck, it seemed like you rarely saw it inside the 20). now I see returners do that all the time. How does this pertain to Locke? Well, the fair catch stuff is just me complaining like I'm Grandpa Simpson but Priefer seems to be among the majority of ST coaches who favor asking the punter to hang the ball high down the middle of the field so someone can run under it and catch or down it deep in the opposing team's territory. It's a strategy that. to me, has always seemed more likely to lead to unintentional touchbacks than kicking for the "coffin corner". That can go wrong too, of course, but maybe Preifer should have Locke try it.

We might just be seeing a learning curve with Locke. He's a young player, after all, and I imagine it takes time to develop the kind of precision control asked of NFL punters.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Mothman wrote: I don't think he's that bad but he definitely needs to improve.

I don't like the philosophical change we've seen in football in regard to the punting game. This might make me sound old but I remember when punters routinely looked for the "coffin corner" when punting from around midfield and when returners would almost never fair catch or even field a punt inside the 10 yard line (heck, it seemed like you rarely saw it inside the 20). now I see returners do that all the time. How does this pertain to Locke? Well, the fair catch stuff is just me complaining like I'm Grandpa Simpson but Priefer seems to be among the majority of ST coaches who favor asking the punter to hang the ball high down the middle of the field so someone can run under it and catch or down it deep in the opposing team's territory. It's a strategy that. to me, has always seemed more likely to lead to unintentional touchbacks than kicking for the "coffin corner". That can go wrong too, of course, but maybe Preifer should have Locke try it.

We might just be seeing a learning curve with Locke. He's a young player, after all, and I imagine it takes time to develop the kind of precision control asked of NFL punters.
Perhaps it's not only them wanting to down it, but maybe these special teams coaches want a chance to make a play for a turnover. Maybe hoping the returner will misjudge calling a fair catch? Maybe there returner muffs it (or tries to move out of the way but it bounces and hits their leg), etc.

You lose those possibilities if you kick it out of bounds. Perhaps they've decided it makes more sense to gamble on the turnover than get the extra 10-15 yards of filed position.

That said, in my opinion, if you have a punter that can consistently preform a 'coffin corner' kick and your defense is pretty good, consistently better field position would be a better advantage.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Cliff wrote:Perhaps it's not only them wanting to down it, but maybe these special teams coaches want a chance to make a play for a turnover. Maybe hoping the returner will misjudge calling a fair catch? Maybe there returner muffs it (or tries to move out of the way but it bounces and hits their leg), etc.

You lose those possibilities if you kick it out of bounds. Perhaps they've decided it makes more sense to gamble on the turnover than get the extra 10-15 yards of filed position.

Excellent point. That might very well be one of the reasons for the change in approach.
That said, in my opinion, if you have a punter that can consistently preform a 'coffin corner' kick and your defense is pretty good, consistently better field position would be a better advantage.
I agree!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Not sure this is really relevant with a completely new team in its first year under the guy but...
@TomPelissero -- RGIII has faced a Mike Zimmer defense once. Took five sacks, fumbled three times in 38-31 loss Sept. 23, 2012, his third NFL start.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly