Vikings' improved defense highlight of first half of season

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Vikings' improved defense highlight of first half of season

Post by Mothman »

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_26 ... alf-season
The defense, though, continues to get better. Never mind that Zimmer is shy on specifics about what was needed after last year's disastrous showing under former coach Leslie Frazier.

"When I went to Cincinnati, they weren't very good defensively," Zimmer said about becoming Bengals defensive coordinator in 2008. "I looked at the tapes just like I looked at the tapes here, but I don't ever have a pre-conceived idea of what we can be or what we can't be until we get out on the field.

"We did bring in quite a few players. ... This is a different group and then a bunch of (holdovers) that didn't play (a lot) last year. ... We still have a long way to go to be where I want to get."
The pass defense has been surprisingly strong. After ranking 31st in the NFL last season in passing yards allowed, Minnesota is fourth this year.

"It's complementary," said cornerback Josh Robinson. "Without the front getting the pressure and without the linebackers being in coverage, we can't do it."

The secondary was very young last season, but gained experience with the signing of sixth-year man Munnerlyn. Also, safety Harrison Smith is healthy after missing eight games in 2013.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Re: Vikings' improved defense highlight of first half of sea

Post by DK Sweets »

Harrison Smith has been a bit quiet recently, but I truly believe his absence was more detrimental last year than losing Antoine Winfield (who is one of my favorite players of the past decade). Xavier and Robinson have grown, and the different kinds of pressure we have been able to add has been awesome. This defense excites me to be a Viking fan, which has been unfathomable in recent years.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I like the idea of starting with the defense first. With a coach like Zimmer, that's the best way to start. I wasn't real happy with the Barr pick (there were 2 other LB's available that I thought would suit our 4-3 D, and be able to both run stop and cover. But Barr has shown hes a fast learner. He is going to be a pro bowl LB sooner rather then later (imo). Im not 100% sold on our DBs, but they are so much better then in years past. The Dline is showing up, every single game. Its just a matter of time before we are a top 10 D. I like what I see, I just cant take many more of the last minute losses. We have had way too many of them, and not enough last minute wins in the past few years.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:I like the idea of starting with the defense first. With a coach like Zimmer, that's the best way to start. I wasn't real happy with the Barr pick (there were 2 other LB's available that I thought would suit our 4-3 D, and be able to both run stop and cover. But Barr has shown hes a fast learner. He is going to be a pro bowl LB sooner rather then later (imo). Im not 100% sold on our DBs, but they are so much better then in years past. The Dline is showing up, every single game. Its just a matter of time before we are a top 10 D

The Vikes actually have a top 10 defense right now. They're ranked #8. :)
I like what I see, I just cant take many more of the last minute losses. We have had way too many of them, and not enough last minute wins in the past few years.
Amen to that!
purplehaze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by purplehaze »

We are ranked #4 against the pass. :shock: Last time we were ranked that high was 1997.
“He's like a piece of gristle. He's got a great squirt in the hole"-- Brad Childress.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

purplehaze wrote:We are ranked #4 against the pass. :shock: Last time we were ranked that high was 1997.
That's awesome, although that era of vikings football we were terrible against the run with our undersized front 7. I was not around for some of the great Vikings defenses before that, but I think this one is the best I've seen in Minnesota.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote: That's awesome, although that era of vikings football we were terrible against the run with our undersized front 7. I was not around for some of the great Vikings defenses before that, but I think this one is the best I've seen in Minnesota.
That makes me sad. :(

I don't mean that as a slight against this defense. I just wish you could have seen some of those terrific defenses of the past. In the '80s, for a brief time, they had a d-line that rivaled their great d-lines of the '70s. The '88-'89 Vikes had the top-ranked defense in the league. These days, it's hard to even imagine the Vikes being ranked #1 in defense, much less two years in a row.

The PPEs were so good that as a kid, when a team got the ball near the Vikings goal line, I would literally get excited about the chance to see a goal line stand because they weren't an uncommon occurrence. Even first and goal from the 1 was far from a guaranteed TD against those teams. It was fun to watch. :)

I think '93 was the last year the Vikings had the league's top-ranked defense. Hopefully, under Zimmer, we're going to see that kind of defensive success again.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: That makes me sad. :(

I don't mean that as a slight against this defense. I just wish you could have seen some of those terrific defenses of the past. In the '80s, for a brief time, they had a d-line that rivaled their great d-lines of the '70s. The '88-'89 Vikes had the top-ranked defense in the league. These days, it's hard to even imagine the Vikes being ranked #1 in defense, much less two years in a row.

The PPEs were so good that as a kid, when a team got the ball near the Vikings goal line, I would literally get excited about the chance to see a goal line stand because they weren't an uncommon occurrence. Even first and goal from the 1 was far from a guaranteed TD against those teams. It was fun to watch. :)

I think '93 was the last year the Vikings had the league's top-ranked defense. Hopefully, under Zimmer, we're going to see that kind of defensive success again.
It is sad, especially given the reputation of this team through history for having great defensive lines and great defenses. Hopefully we are headed back in that direction.

Since I first became a fan in the early 90s, this team has gone through a lot of different identities. We've had great run blocking offensive line play for stretches, great WRs putting up gaudy numbers for stretches, our era of "the best RB in football" for a time, undersized ballhawking defense, Stout Williams Wall run defense with poor pass defense, we've kind of been all over the map. I wonder if its not a coincidence that teams that maintain an identity for a long time, ala the steelers, are able to be successful over a long period of time. They also have tended to have great coaching continuity.

I know we are 3-5 and a lot remains to be seen, but if I had to choose between sticking with Zimmer and Turner for the next 10 years come what may, or moving on if we haven't improved after 3 years...I'm sticking with what we have. I REALLY don't want to see another coaching change for a LONG time, and I'd like the Vikings to reassert that historic identity that made it easy for me to want to follow them back when I was a kid.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

I would add that we are currently tied for 2nd in the NFL in sacks (25). We are also 7th in the NFL in defensive 3rd down conversion percentage (36.5%).
purpletinted66
Starter

Post by purpletinted66 »

whale, lets pray for peace in the middle east along with it. this defense makes a good crutch for a feeble offense: we gotta stop turning the ball over, and capitalize even a little better on the benefits of stalwart defensive efforts
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

frosted21 wrote:I would add that we are currently tied for 2nd in the NFL in sacks (25). We are also 7th in the NFL in defensive 3rd down conversion percentage (36.5%).
that's a good stat about 3rd downs. didn't we start the season really struggling with 3rd down defense for the first 3-4 weeks?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:I like the idea of starting with the defense first. With a coach like Zimmer, that's the best way to start. I wasn't real happy with the Barr pick (there were 2 other LB's available that I thought would suit our 4-3 D, and be able to both run stop and cover. But Barr has shown hes a fast learner. He is going to be a pro bowl LB sooner rather then later (imo). Im not 100% sold on our DBs, but they are so much better then in years past. The Dline is showing up, every single game. Its just a matter of time before we are a top 10 D. I like what I see, I just cant take many more of the last minute losses. We have had way too many of them, and not enough last minute wins in the past few years.
I never thought of it that way, but starting with the D first under Zimmer is a good point. It's what he knows and does best. I like the fact that Zimmer says he's a long way from finished with it, too.

I definitely agree with you about the last minute collapses by the D in previous years. Last season almost had me punching holes in the wall every time it would happen.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:It is sad, especially given the reputation of this team through history for having great defensive lines and great defenses. Hopefully we are headed back in that direction.

Since I first became a fan in the early 90s, this team has gone through a lot of different identities. We've had great run blocking offensive line play for stretches, great WRs putting up gaudy numbers for stretches, our era of "the best RB in football" for a time, undersized ballhawking defense, Stout Williams Wall run defense with poor pass defense, we've kind of been all over the map. I wonder if its not a coincidence that teams that maintain an identity for a long time, ala the steelers, are able to be successful over a long period of time. They also have tended to have great coaching continuity.

I know we are 3-5 and a lot remains to be seen, but if I had to choose between sticking with Zimmer and Turner for the next 10 years come what may, or moving on if we haven't improved after 3 years...I'm sticking with what we have. I REALLY don't want to see another coaching change for a LONG time, and I'd like the Vikings to reassert that historic identity that made it easy for me to want to follow them back when I was a kid.
I definitely think continuity and stability are keys to long term success in the NFL. The Vikings need to find that kind of stability at both HC and QB. Changing coaches and schemes is very disruptive and when it starts happening every 3-4 years, it's a sign that a franchise is in big trouble. You obviously can't have stability in those positions without quality but I'm with you: I hope we don't see a head coaching change for a long time. I definitely don't want to see one after 3 years unless the team is an absolute disaster for most of that time and I don't see that happening. The Vikes need to show patience with Zimmer and truly support him.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

fiestavike wrote: that's a good stat about 3rd downs. didn't we start the season really struggling with 3rd down defense for the first 3-4 weeks?
Yes. It was quite bad. The improved play and easier schedule of QBs has contributed to the improved statistic. I just wish the offense could take more advantage of the added possessions.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

dead_poet wrote: Yes. It was quite bad. The improved play and easier schedule of QBs has contributed to the improved statistic. I just wish the offense could take more advantage of the added possessions.
I'm with you there. I feel like we could have handed McKinnon the ball more than 16 times. I'd like to see greater commitment to the run, especially when we are doing it pretty well! Nothing is going to help the Line, Bridgewater, and even the defense more than getting into a groove with the ground game.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins