Vikings' improved defense highlight of first half of season

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings' improved defense highlight of first half of sea

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

dead_poet wrote: Yes. It was quite bad. The improved play and easier schedule of QBs has contributed to the improved statistic. I just wish the offense could take more advantage of the added possessions.
Actually, that's not entirely true. In fact, the Vikings have been stellar holding opponents on third down for six of the eight weeks of 2014.

The Rams and Patriots opened the season by combining for 8-29 (26.7%) third-down conversions in weeks 1 and 2.

The Vikes dropped off during weeks 3 and 4. New Orleans converted 9-13, and Atlanta converted 10-15 (combined 67.9%).

Since then, the defense has been fantastic in third down: Green Bay 4-11, Detroit 1-13, Buffalo 4-12, Tampa Bay 1-12, combined 10-48 (20.8%).

Bottom line: Only New Orleans and Atlanta have converted more than 36% of third downs against us. For the other six games, opponents have combined to convert at just 23.3%.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Actually, that's not entirely true. In fact, the Vikings have been stellar holding opponents on third down for six of the eight weeks of 2014.

The Rams and Patriots opened the season by combining for 8-29 (26.7%) third-down conversions in weeks 1 and 2.

The Vikes dropped off during weeks 3 and 4. New Orleans converted 9-13, and Atlanta converted 10-15 (combined 67.9%).

Since then, the defense has been fantastic in third down: Green Bay 4-11, Detroit 1-13, Buffalo 4-12, Tampa Bay 1-12, combined 10-48 (20.8%).

Bottom line: Only New Orleans and Atlanta have converted more than 36% of third downs against us. For the other six games, opponents have combined to convert at just 23.3%.
Sorry, I should've been more specific. I was referencing their third-down stop rate after the Falcons game (first four weeks). At that point the Vikings allowed a 50% third-down conversion rate, which put them 31st in the NFL. I'm quite happy that's trending back the other direction.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

dead_poet wrote: Sorry, I should've been more specific. I was referencing their third-down stop rate after the Falcons game (first four weeks). At that point the Vikings allowed a 50% third-down conversion rate, which put them 31st in the NFL. I'm quite happy that's trending back the other direction.
No worries. I'm not trying to be argumentative. I just remember that in the first two games, the Vikings were actually very good at getting off the field. Against New England, the culprit was turning the ball over. The Pats actually had a fairly difficult time moving the ball when they had to drive the length of the field and finished with less than 300 yards total offense. Unfortunately, we put them in a short field so often (plus handed them 7 points on a blocked FG) that they won easily.

To tell you the truth, I didn't even realize we had done that well on third down for 6 of the 8 weeks until I looked it up. It's a good sign.

Now if the offense could just get something going.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

This defense is doing much better than I thought the unit would do. They still allow too many yards on the opening drive for my taste and still haven't figured out how to close a game. Hopefully that will come in time.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

The opening drive yardage, in my opinion, is Zimmer getting a feel for what the opposing team's game plan is before he starts calling some or his higher risk/reward plays. I have absolutely no basis for this, it's just my impression from what we've seen so far.