Vincent Jackson

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Vincent Jackson

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Mothman wrote: It's a defense that requires discipline, patience and intelligence to play effectively but it can look awfully good when the right pieces are in place.

It makes sense that Barron wouldn't fit it. He's much more of a "downhill", in the box safety. I think coverage is the weakest part of his game.
I think he definitely would have fit in here. Much more aggressive defense than Tampa's sit back Tampa 2.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Get rid of both tackles for an aging WR? Yeah great idea :roll: That's about as unrealistic as it gets

As for Jackson, why give up valuable picks for an aging WR that has pretty much disappeared?? Not to mention, his salary is up there as well. That's something the Raiders would do. Look where all those old players got them this year. A bunch of wasted money and 0 wins. It's a great approach though :shock:
I was exaggerating. Was just pointing out the extension and salary to Phil was absurd, for a one dimensional guy. IMHO Rick once again overpaid. If we were having winning records, I would say Rick has done a good job. Anyways, you and I are going to disagree on anything that involves Rick.

And I am sickened by the Kalil pick. When I look at him, I see a guy that has given up. Even Phil will help Teddy off the ground after a sack. Kalil just kind of stands around like a zombie. And before anyone bites my head off, im not saying Kalil does that every play.

And why shouldn't we pay for a good WR? Other teams do. Brady is the exception, he could even make Wright look good. But for Teddy we need a WR to go along with Jennings (who kind of stinks, but that may be the ex-packer smell). I mean we have Wright and Johnson for WR's. I can think of only a few QBs that could do well with them. At least lets over pay for a good WR, not an injury prone TE. I think Rick needs to learn more about the WR and QB spots before he hires another one of either of them.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Get rid of both tackles for an aging WR? Yeah great idea :roll: That's about as unrealistic as it gets

As for Jackson, why give up valuable picks for an aging WR that has pretty much disappeared?? Not to mention, his salary is up there as well. That's something the Raiders would do. Look where all those old players got them this year. A bunch of wasted money and 0 wins. It's a great approach though :shock:
I thought it was fairly obvious that he was joking...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:And I am sickened by the Kalil pick. When I look at him, I see a guy that has given up. Even Phil will help Teddy off the ground after a sack. Kalil just kind of stands around like a zombie. And before anyone bites my head off, im not saying Kalil does that every play.
Then that's probably a good indication that he hasn't given up.

I question how closely people are actually watching Kalil. It's easy to notice the bad plays but I thought he actually played pretty well on most snaps against Tampa Bay and I thought he was noticeably better against Buffalo than he was the previous week against the Lions. I don't think he's anywhere near the colossal bust fans are now making him out to be. That strikes me as an overreaction.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:I question how closely people are actually watching Kalil. It's easy to notice the bad plays but I thought he actually played pretty well on most snaps against Tampa Bay and I thought he was noticeably better against Buffalo than he was the previous week against the Lions. I don't think he's anywhere near the colossal bust fans are now making him out to be. That strikes me as an overreaction.

Kalil isn't a colossal bust but there is something very wrong with him. I don't know what the problem is. However, I know there is a problem. When I see him backpedal his way out of a play and the DE fly past him, then I know this isn't the same Kalil that played for USC or even for the Vikings during his rookie season.

Maybe Demi is right and Kalil hasn't had his head on straight since being injured. Whatever the case, I really want this guy to bounce back. The team needs it and so does he.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I think Kalil is actually playing at a league average level right now, the problem is we all expected him to be a Top 5 LT. His reputation coming out of the draft, draft position, and salary make it seem worse than it likely is.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Mothman wrote: Then that's probably a good indication that he hasn't given up.

I question how closely people are actually watching Kalil. It's easy to notice the bad plays but I thought he actually played pretty well on most snaps against Tampa Bay and I thought he was noticeably better against Buffalo than he was the previous week against the Lions. I don't think he's anywhere near the colossal bust fans are now making him out to be. That strikes me as an overreaction.
Yeah, bust would be an overstatement, but something happen between his first year, and second. And I don't buy the injury theory. I think its mental. He should, even with the new Offensive scheme, be able to mange it as well as the rest of the line. He was such a huge pick, like Ponder, that he gets extra scrutiny.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
And why shouldn't we pay for a good WR? Other teams do. Brady is the exception, he could even make Wright look good. But for Teddy we need a WR to go along with Jennings (who kind of stinks, but that may be the ex-packer smell). I mean we have Wright and Johnson for WR's. I can think of only a few QBs that could do well with them. At least lets over pay for a good WR, not an injury prone TE. I think Rick needs to learn more about the WR and QB spots before he hires another one of either of them.
Because to be honest, he really isn't "good" right now. His play has been pretty brutal this year. As for Jennings, he's actually had a better career than Jackson has. I'm not sure what makes you think Jackson would be "so good" here. Jennings has been the better WR since being in the league and he's playing average to below average right now. What makes you think Jackson would do anything?? Because he can go deep?? Well we can't block long enough for Teddy to throw deep so I won't buy that excuse.

Even if we did trade for Jackson, if he busted here, I feel you would be the first to call Spielman an idiot for trading for him. He isn't worth draft picks right now no matter what way you look at it. We don't need another older veteran at WR. We already have one. Jackson does nothing but take time away from Patterson who needs the experience and has a much higher ceiling.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri