Game reviews: Vikings @ Bucs

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Game reviews: Vikings @ Bucs

Post by dead_poet »

Offense: http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikin ... -offense-5
Defense: http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikin ... -defense-4
Minnesota Vikings – Three Performances of Note

Matt Kalil, LT: -3.4

Breakdown: The slide continues for Kalil despite the fact he didn’t have the toughest of matchups. Overall he gave up a hit and four hurries in 49 drop-backs culminating in a -2.0 grade. Michael Johnson is a pretty solid defensive end, but it was the speed with which Kalil was getting beat that will be concerning. To top it off, his run blocking was poor as he failed to grade positively on a single snap and was convincingly beaten on one play leading to a tackle well behind the line of scrimmage.

Signature Play: No play more sums up Kalil’s day than the pressure he allowed with 12.16 to go in the third quarter to Jacquies Smith who beat him with ease and hit Bridgewater as he was throwing forcing an incompletion.

Shariff Floyd, DRT: +5.5

Breakdown: Floyd has enjoyed a resurgent sophomore season after an average start to his NFL career, but this was his best game yet. The former Gator was disruptive from the first whistle, consistently finding ways to contribute in all three phases of the game. In run defense he recorded four stops on just 15 snaps. As a pass rusher he recorded a sack and hurry (30 snaps) but also drew two holding penalties (one of which negated a pressure) and beat a block only to be denied a hurry by Glennon’s quick release. The shoestring tackle he made on Bobby Rainey on a screen pass to bring up fourth down was also a thing of beauty and prevented a long gain.

Signature Stat: Floyd is now tenth in Pass Rushing Productivity amongst defensive tackles.

Chad Greenway, WLB: -2.6

Breakdown: Last week was Greenway’s best performance in two and a half years but consistency is required and he was back to struggling against the Bucs. In 21 run-defending plays he made just the solitary stop. In coverage he allowed all three targets to be complete for 19 yards (all first downs) and missed a tackle.

Signature Stat: Greenway is currently 18th of 20 4-3 outside linebackers in Run Stop Percentage.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... rs-week-8/
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Game reviews: Vikings @ Bucs

Post by dead_poet »

I thought Ford had a good game. He's been a quiet surprise this season. Also very interesting about forgotten receiver Charles Johnson.

Counting Snaps: Breaking down Sunday's 19-13 win at Tampa Bay
None of us talks a great deal about him, but Berger has tremendous value as a 10-year veteran with starting experience who can back up all three interior positions. A week after playing 51 snaps at center for the injured Sullivan, Berger played 70 offensive snaps for injured right guard Ducasse and four additional special teams snaps. Sullivan returned from a concussion to also play 74 snaps, including special teams. Berger, the third player to start at right guard in eight games this season, was beaten on a sack. But it was the only sack allowed after the team had given up 19 in the previous three weeks.
http://blog.startribune.com/sports/access-vikings
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Move Kalil to guard and draft another LT.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

dead_poet wrote:I'll post the ESPN/Star Trib reviews here when available.
I'm happy to read this. Nobody says much about Floyd on the board, aside from the few here who have called him a bust. Personally, I think Floyd is really coming on this season and has the potential to be a heck of a DT in the near future. Yet another young bright spot on the Vikings defense.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Oh yeah...Mike Mauti's hit was awesome. Dude got me fired up just watching him spazz out on the sideline after that.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@Andrew_Krammer -- TB pressured Teddy Bridgewater on 21 of his 44 dropbacks, per @PFF, which is a season-high for Buccaneers. Only got 1 sack, credit to Teddy
@GoesslingESPN -- Bucs blitzed Bridgewater on 14 dropbacks, per @ESPNStatsInfo, matching season high. Bridgewater was 8-for-13, 82 yards, TD.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

IDK. I thought Matt did an ok job. He wasn't beat across his face (at least, not that I remember) and most his pressures where due to Johnson's ability to use his unique athleticism to bend back inside after forcing him outside. There was one play though on a counter where Matt got totally obliterated and we lost yards on the carry. In short, his game wasn't elite, but I will take it.

I think it is time to give Gerald Hodges the start at weak-side backer. Greenway just doesn't have it anymore. It is sad to say, seeing as he has been a good player in the past, but his is more of a liability for us now.

Shariff had his best game of his career yesterday. Hopefully, he keeps it up. It is never easy to replace a legend (Kevin Williams), but hopefully, Shariff will be the next great three-tech for us.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:IDK. I thought Matt did an ok job. He wasn't beat across his face (at least, not that I remember) and most his pressures where due to Johnson's ability to use his unique athleticism to bend back inside after forcing him outside. There was one play though on a counter where Matt got totally obliterated and we lost yards on the carry. In short, his game wasn't elite, but I will take it.

I think it is time to give Gerald Hodges the start at weak-side backer. Greenway just doesn't have it anymore. It is sad to say, seeing as he has been a good player in the past, but his is more of a liability for us now.

Shariff had his best game of his career yesterday. Hopefully, he keeps it up. It is never easy to replace a legend (Kevin Williams), but hopefully, Shariff will be the next great three-tech for us.
Hodges has been out with injury.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Despite Victory over Buccaneers, Vikings Still Struggling to Finish Games
But after the Vikings took a two-score lead and the game neared the fourth quarter, Zimmer took his foot off Tampa Bay’s throat, despite the struggles of the offensive line and quarterback. Zimmer called off the dogs.
He became less and less aggressive in terms of defensive play-calling as the game wore on, trying to ice away the lead, but actually played a part in the defense’s regression from its effectiveness earlier in the game. The blitz-heavy game plan was working, but Zimmer got cold feet after the Vikings took a lead.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2245 ... nish-games
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

fiestavike wrote: Hodges has been out with injury.
I know. I am saying that he should when he comes back from his hamstring injury.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

I am anxious to get Hodges back out there. He was playing very well before he got hurt.
Superfreak84
Veteran

Post by Superfreak84 »

Wasn't it amazing how every single bucs pass rusher on the final drive got pressure on every single play? It was like our o-line didn't want any contact whatsoever
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

dead_poet wrote:Despite Victory over Buccaneers, Vikings Still Struggling to Finish Games
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2245 ... nish-games

Well, I hope that Zimmer learns from this. This D does seem to play its best ball when it's being aggressive.

That said, there were times late in the game where the D almost looked as if it was trying too hard, what with stupid penalties and some over-pursuit.

It's as if the late game collapse from last week had gotten into their heads. Maybe that's why Zimmer slowed things down a little. Keep in mind I'm just guessing here.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

It's possible that there is just a mental tightening that happens for this unit late in close games...moreso than normal due to last seasons unbelievable breakdowns in games. They lost several games in the final minute, as well all know. That has to leave some kind of scar regardless of the switch in coaches.

Perhaps what happened yesterday will work to reverse that trend more than any coach induced tactic. Barr made an aggressive play to win the game, whereas the problem in recent history has been laying back and playing not to lose.

attitude....maybe they're getting it.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:IDK. I thought Matt did an ok job. He wasn't beat across his face (at least, not that I remember) and most his pressures where due to Johnson's ability to use his unique athleticism to bend back inside after forcing him outside. There was one play though on a counter where Matt got totally obliterated and we lost yards on the carry. In short, his game wasn't elite, but I will take it.
I wish I could agree, because I like Kalil and was enthusiastic about the Vikings drafting him. But something is clearly wrong with him.

I watched the game on NFL Rewind, including some of the OL's work on the coaches tape. Quite honestly, I was amazed at how badly blown off the line Kalil was on too many plays. On one play, it almost looked as if he backpedaled away from the pressure while Johnson flew past him. It seemed like he either was overwhelmed by what was going on around him or he just didn't understand his assignment, or maybe both.

Seriously, what is going on with this guy? How can Kalil slide backward so badly after being a terror for USC and a pro-bowler in his rookie year in the NFL?