Game reviews: Vikings @ Bucs

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Game reviews: Vikings @ Bucs

Post by dead_poet »

Offense review posted at the top of the initial post.
The Vikings' introduction of four-receiver sets meant more playing time for Charles Johnson, who has surpassed Adam Thielen as the Vikings' No. 4 receiver and was targeted five times on Sunday. Turner even showed a willingness to use Johnson as the lone receiver in "22" personnel, and Bridgewater's underthrown deep ball to the former Packers and Browns receiver came out of a play-action pass when Johnson was the only wideout on the field. He has the size (6-foot-2) to be a good over-the-top receiver, and might bring back some of the downfield presence the Vikings lost when they cut the troubled Jerome Simpson.
http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikin ... -offense-5
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

losperros wrote: Here's an interesting quote from Floyd:
So Zimmer's technique is working and so is his ability to communicate with Floyd. As physical as football is, a player still needs to comprehend the needs of his position before he can flourish.

Anyway, I'm really happy for Floyd, Zimmer, and the team. The D seems to be getting better.
Yeah, another great example of a player really preferring the way Zimmer coaches / teaches. I'm glad too, Floyd seems to have all the physical tools but I think the reason he slid in the draft and was still available for us is he seems a little "slow" or "simple" upstairs but maybe he's just super chill. Now that he's understanding the mental stuff, his physical game is coming through and he's looked great the past couple weeks.

Another interesting zimmer quote I heard yesterday was that he likes young football players because they haven't been taught one way or the other yet and that makes it easier for him to teach them what he believes is the best way to play. Obviously we can read between the lines there! haha.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mondry wrote:another great example of a player really preferring the way Zimmer coaches / teaches. I'm glad too, Floyd seems to have all the physical tools but I think the reason he slid in the draft and was still available for us is he seems a little "slow" or "simple" upstairs but maybe he's just super chill. Now that he's understanding the mental stuff, his physical game is coming through and he's looked great the past couple weeks.

Another interesting zimmer quote I heard yesterday was that he likes young football players because they haven't been taught one way or the other yet and that makes it easier for him to teach them what he believes is the best way to play. Obviously we can read between the lines there! haha.
I suspect that's something you're bringing to it more than something he meant to be seen it, although I don't recall seeing a direct quote from on it anyway. I'm guessing you're referring to this line written by Ben Goessling for ESPN's NFC North blog:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... oyd-thrive
Zimmer said one of the reasons he likes dealing with young players is the chance he gets to mold them in the techniques of his defense, without any preconceived notions.
Note that it doesn't say "the best way to play". It says, "mold them in the techniques of his defense". It's easier to instill habits than to change them. Different schemes call for different techniques and it's probably easier for Zimmer to teach a rookie, who is more of a "blank slate" (at least in terms of pro football) than to try to change the established habits of a pro veteran accustomed to playing a different scheme.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Floyd gif working Mankins: https://twitter.com/DarrenPage/status/5 ... 9129804800
Griffen running down Herron: https://vine.co/v/OMranZWB7J6
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Defense updated.
They registered two of their five sacks on blitzes, intercepted Glennon once and held him to 5.69 yards per dropback on blitzes. The Vikings also exemplified the selfless rush concept Zimmer has been preaching; Sharrif Floyd's second-quarter sack came after Glennon was flushed by Anthony Barr and Tom Johnson, and on the next play, Everson Griffen took Glennon down after Floyd's initial pressure.

"I like the way they’ve played the last three weeks," Zimmer said of the defensive line. "Again, talk to me at the end of the season and I’ll tell you what I think. There’s a long way to go. I never look at defensive rankings or anything like that until at least Thanksgiving. I think by then you kind of know what you are. I hope we can get better than what we are now."
http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikin ... -defense-4
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Floyd gif working Mankins: https://twitter.com/DarrenPage/status/5 ... 9129804800
Thanks. That Griffen play was one of my favorites of the game.

Floyd looks like John Randle on that play against Mankins!
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Mothman wrote: Thanks. That Griffen play was one of my favorites of the game.

Griffen also blew up a screen play which was equally impressive.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Mothman wrote: Thanks. That Griffen play was one of my favorites of the game.

Yeah that was awesome! I kept thinking "damn our defensive end just ran down their scat back like it was nothing!"

I definitely see the Randle impersonation on that one haha.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mondry wrote:Yeah that was awesome! I kept thinking "damn our defensive end just ran down their scat back like it was nothing!"

I definitely see the Randle impersonation on that one haha.
I think it's the quickness that made me think of Randle. It's great to see these young linemen playing so well!
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

It's a shame, but we really need to replace Greenway and Kalil, right away. Kalil once again, at least in my book, played worse then Johnson. Greenway looked old out there, although he did have a couple nice tackles. Brinkley too, he misses as many stops as he makes. Hodges and Cole (or even Mauti) need more time on the field, Greenway and Jasper, less.

But the D is getting better, every week. I don't think anyone can deny that. And that's what I personally need to see, progression. I am not sold on Norv. Good coaches should coach. If they don't have talented guys like Barr, that seems to blossom the more he is asked to do, they have to sit each one of the lineman down and critique them. There is now harm in putting in another tackle for Kalil (although Phil wasn't at his finest either) and a guard for Johnson. We cant force an Oline just because we want continuity. Teddy can shake his mistakes off. I don't think Kalil does. Or even worse, he may not care.

Man did I want Vincent Jackson, lol. I did in 2010(I think) when he was traded to the Bucs. One really good, tall, athletic WR, that knows route running and fighting for the ball, would be perfect, on the other side of CP. Im also very happy with Chase Ford. Nice hands, and a great blocker.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:It's a shame, but we really need to replace Greenway and Kalil, right away. Kalil once again, at least in my book, played worse then Johnson. Greenway looked old out there, although he did have a couple nice tackles. Brinkley too, he misses as many stops as he makes. Hodges and Cole (or even Mauti) need more time on the field, Greenway and Jasper, less.

But the D is getting better, every week. I don't think anyone can deny that. And that's what I personally need to see, progression. I am not sold on Norv. Good coaches should coach. If they don't have talented guys like Barr, that seems to blossom the more he is asked to do, they have to sit each one of the lineman down and critique them. There is now harm in putting in another tackle for Kalil (although Phil wasn't at his finest either) and a guard for Johnson. We cant force an Oline just because we want continuity. Teddy can shake his mistakes off. I don't think Kalil does. Or even worse, he may not care.

Man did I want Vincent Jackson, lol. I did in 2010(I think) when he was traded to the Bucs. One really good, tall, athletic WR, that knows route running and fighting for the ball, would be perfect, on the other side of CP. Im also very happy with Chase Ford. Nice hands, and a great blocker.
Greenway and Brinkley both played quite well. Our run D was on point other than their first carry of the game.

Kalil is a problem.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

dead_poet wrote:Floyd gif working Mankins: https://twitter.com/DarrenPage/status/5 ... 9129804800
I like you for these.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

AS per Floyd and Zimmer's scheme: everything I've gleaned about the way Zimmer does things on defense preaches simplicity and discipline. They vary looks and camouflage their sets...but the responsibilities per man is fundamentally simple.

Often the previous scheme, at least from what I observed, made it look like many guys just didn't know where to be or were thinking so much that it affected their natural instincts to be aggressive...save for a couple 2-3 guys.

The more disciplined this unit becomes...each guy knowing where his help is and trusting that...the stingier it will get.

at least I hope so....i'm impressed with the turnaround thus far and the way guys like Floyd, Rhodes and Griffen have settled in
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I'm not ready to give up on Kalil totally yet but he isn't playing well..

I don't think him and Johnson trust each other .. Im wondering If we had a really good LG
if Kalil would play to his first year potential or not ?
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!