Vikings change defense, but results similar

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings change defense, but results similar

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Demi wrote: They just had the wrong Minnesota Vikings defensive end. :twisted:

I have to admit, Wootton looked good when he was in for Robison. Seemed to collapse the pocket more effectively. Don't mind seeing more of him on Sunday.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Vikings change defense, but results similar

Post by DK Sweets »

I think Wootton fits Zimmer's defense better. Zimmer almost like to run with a nose tackle and three 3-technique type players (very strong at the point of attack but can still rush the passer - almost like a 3-4 but with four smaller/faster lineman). I think it's why Griffen is looking so awesome...he found the perfect system for his talents.

I think Robison is mainly sticking because 1) he's the most vocal veteran presence on the D right now 2) he still has better than advertised pass rush ability and 3) just got a (possibly premature?) contract extension.

I'd like to see Robison take a paycut this offseason and be rotated into sets more. He has dropped into coverage a bit this year, and when he was younger he would sub in at DT on passing downs. He's good at a lot of things, but great at very few.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

DKSweets wrote:I think Wootton fits Zimmer's defense better. Zimmer almost like to run with a nose tackle and three 3-technique type players (very strong at the point of attack but can still rush the passer - almost like a 3-4 but with four smaller/faster lineman). I think it's why Griffen is looking so awesome...he found the perfect system for his talents.

I think Robison is mainly sticking because 1) he's the most vocal veteran presence on the D right now 2) he still has better than advertised pass rush ability and 3) just got a (possibly premature?) contract extension.

I'd like to see Robison take a paycut this offseason and be rotated into sets more. He has dropped into coverage a bit this year, and when he was younger he would sub in at DT on passing downs. He's good at a lot of things, but great at very few.
I agree with you, although I wouldn't call Robison's contract premature except in the sense that he was signed before Zimmer was here. If this was Robison's last year under contract, I doubt we would resign him. Its just a scheme issue.

Also, he doesn't have a huge contract, and I don't think he'll take a pay cut, but I think he could get a decent return in a trade to the right team.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

fiestavike wrote: I agree with you, although I wouldn't call Robison's contract premature except in the sense that he was signed before Zimmer was here. If this was Robison's last year under contract, I doubt we would resign him. Its just a scheme issue.

Also, he doesn't have a huge contract, and I don't think he'll take a pay cut, but I think he could get a decent return in a trade to the right team.
After giving J Allen 32 million dollars and his very limited production (1.5 sacks in the seven games he has played this season for the Bears), teams might be a little reluctant to trade or spend much on a 31 year old DE who is solid but not spectacular.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Purple bruise wrote: After giving J Allen 32 million dollars and his very limited production (1.5 sacks in the seven games he has played this season for the Bears), teams might be a little reluctant to trade or spend much on a 31 year old DE who is solid but not spectacular.
Could be, I think Robison is more than solid in the right scheme. I think he'd fetch a 4th.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Purple bruise wrote: After giving J Allen 32 million dollars and his very limited production (1.5 sacks in the seven games he has played this season for the Bears), teams might be a little reluctant to trade or spend much on a 31 year old DE who is solid but not spectacular.
Yes, but how many hurries does he have? :-P

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Yes, but how many hurries does he have? :-P
Don't make me hurt you! ;)
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Mothman wrote: Don't make me hurt you! ;)
But will you actually hurt him or just get really, really close right before he gets away? :lol:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Cliff wrote: But will you actually hurt him or just get really, really close right before he gets away? :lol:
:rofl:
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Mothman wrote: True, but the article actually points out the statistical difference fairly early on so I don't think it's literally trying to express what the misleading headline suggests.
It's only happened once in the very final minutes of a loss anyway. It basically happened again on Sunday. Fortunately, the offense bought them a chance to redeem themselves by scoring on the final drive of regulation to force overtime. Then the defense actually came through with the winning score! However, for all the clear progress the defense has made, their overall play late in close games is still leaving a lot to be desired.

They blew a late lead and lost at Buffalo, blew a late lead against Tampa and but fortunately, still won, and although they didn't blow a late lead against New Orleans, with just a 4 point difference on the scoreboard, they allowed the Saints to drive 90 yards for a TD during the late 3rd and early 4th quarters. Then, when the Vikings offense failed to score on the next possession, the defense allowed New Orleans to consume the final 6:58 of the game with a drive that took them from their own 16 to the Vikings 13. I don't know if that's a collapse but it's sure not winning football. They have to play better in those late game situations.
My main point is that the article seems to imply that this year's defense isn't making any difference. I happen to disagree with that. The defense is improving weekly. Can the offense say that?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:My main point is that the article seems to imply that this year's defense isn't making any difference. I happen to disagree with that. The defense is improving weekly. Can the offense say that?
No, they can't but we obviously interpreted the article differently... again. :confused:
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Cliff wrote: But will you actually hurt him or just get really, really close right before he gets away? :lol:
Lol!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

dead_poet wrote: I have to admit, I didn't expect quite this turnaround from the defense in a single season. Kudos to Spielman for his defensive moves, including his hire of Zimmer. Of course, we're not done with the season yet, but I'm liking the trend.
In contrast, the Bengals defense:

#30 in total defense (ypg) #4 last year
#15 in yds per play, #2 last year
#32 in opponents first downs per game, #2 last year
#12 in 3rd down conversions per game, #6 last year
#17 in points allowed per game, #5 last year
#31 in 2nd half points allowed per game, #6 last year

Was curious to see what Bengal fans thought of Zimmer in Minnesota, especially with the Zimmer facing Gruden on Sunday. Some quotes from boards.bengals.com
Zim has done great work on Minnesota defense, but the problem is, he has no offense. Vikes offensive line is a joke (their starting LT is the anti-JJWatt, literally the worst player in the league right now) and can't keep Teddy upright for him to make throws to receivers who aren't all that great to begin with. While their running game went from best in the league to below average in a week. Sorry to say this but I'd give a slight edge to Washington.
Zimmer has already started to remake the Vikings defense. And despite taking the huge hit of losing Peterson, he's getting that team together. I think they have a good run next year. Zimmer's defense will stop Gruden's offense IMO.
His first pick as a HC, Anthony Barr, is on pace for over 100 tackles and 6 sacks. That's a monster year. Plus from what I've read he's gotten Sharriff Floyd and Everson Griffin to step up. Not to mention Harrison Smith is a stud. All Zim needs is a CB, hell maybe he can get Xavier Rhodes to produce. I could see that D being a top 10 unit next year. Now all Zim needs is to find a way to get the ball into Cordarelle Patterson's hands more often.
Most new coaches are taking over losing teams without a good QB. Zimmer caught a HUGE break by getting Bridgewater at 32. And it was a brilliant move to trade up into the first round to get him because they get an extra year before Teddy could become an unrestricted free agent. In live games Bridgewater made all the throws then his stock dropped because he looked bad throwing in shorts. I think he will be a good NFL QB.

Unfortunately Zimmer caught a very BAD break by losing the best player on their team in Adrian Peterson. Who knows though, a year off from the heavy workload may actually end up helping AP extend his career.
Give me Zimmer, like how his defense is coming together. Very underrated and surprised people aren't noticing how much he has done with that defense.

They were ranked 31st last year on defense. This year? Ranked 8th overall. Also have the 4th best passing defense. He did very well with what he was given, especially after losing his best player.

Also Gruden has improved the Redskins' offense, but not nearly as much as Zimmer has done for that Vikings defense.
Bengals boards: Gruden vs Zimmer
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014