Teddy Bridgewater gets advice from Christian Ponder

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Teddy Bridgewater gets advice from Christian Ponder

Post by Mothman »

No, the advice wasn't "marry a hot sideline reporter", although that IS good advice. :)

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_26 ... ian-ponder
maembe
Franchise Player

Re: Teddy Bridgewater gets advice from Christian Ponder

Post by maembe »

Well that explains the last two games.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Bada-bing!
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

"I don't know about you, brah, but whenever I get into the Red Zone I just close my eyes and let 'er rip."

Seriously though, if anybody can give advice on how to handle failure ...

BAH! I CAN'T STOP! WHY CAN'T I STOP!?

I'm sure Ponder has some useful information to pass along. I hope Teddy handles the adversity better than Ponder seemed to.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Stare down the receiver the whole play, and then throw it !!
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I've heard a few times that Ponder is by far the best looking QB in practice. However, we all know what happens when he takes the field and that is his problem. One could certainly see a case where a guy like Ponder might be a better coach than a player. He certainly has the smarts for it, just terrible instincts on the field.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

mansquatch wrote:I've heard a few times that Ponder is by far the best looking QB in practice. However, we all know what happens when he takes the field and that is his problem. One could certainly see a case where a guy like Ponder might be a better coach than a player. He certainly has the smarts for it, just terrible instincts on the field.

I agree. Basically, that's probably why Ponder is the right guy to talk to Bridgewater. Ponder has made all the same mistakes and knows the repercussions that can follow them.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Christian Ponder sort of reminds me of Alex Smith, although the Niners stuck with Smith a lot longer. Smith was a huge tutor to Kaepernick, who many credit with Colin's huge sucess out of the gates. Smith turned into a pretty good quarterback as far as I'm concerned. No world beater, but uber-efficient and doesn't make the big mistake. Not sure if I see that for Ponder though. He's got too much Blaine Gabbert in him.
nightowl
Career Elite Player

Post by nightowl »

Those who can, do; those who can't, teach.
mossbutt
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mossbutt »

Ponder: Hey Teddy i got some advice for you, would you like to hear it?
Bridgewater: Sure.
Ponder: Whatever you do dont take any advice from me, do the opposite.
Bridgewater: Thats good advice
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

nightowl wrote:Those who can, do; those who can't, teach.
Gads, I have always detested that quote. Most of the great teachers I had over the course of my life were experts, or near-experts, in what they were teaching. They all could "do" to one degree or another, but they had IMMENSE teaching talent and a desire to pass on their knowledge. I see Ponder in the same light. He watches film, he practices well, he has never been in the news for missing meetings nor for not giving his all to prepare. He has a wealth of knowledge, but for some reason, has not been able to perform. Maybe his talent truly lies in passing along that knowledge.

If you want proof of the different talent it takes to be a great player vs. a great coach, look at how many journeyman players have become excellent coaches, while superstars have pretty much been "meh".
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

You guys are projecting yourselves into a situation you do not perfectly understand. None of us perfectly understand it unless someone in here has played pro ball before and we do not know it.

Ponder's issues are not physical at all. It is purely his head during that three to five seconds between when the ball snaps until he delivers the pass on game day. For whatever the reason(s) he just loses it in that time frame when it really matters. I'm sure he knows exactly what he is supposed to do and how he is supposed to think and everything else. For some reason, he just can't do it during those three to five seconds.

I do not think that inability, which is only a liability in the NFL, precludes him from having something positive to offer on the sideline. But maybe I'm wrong.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

mansquatch wrote:You guys are projecting yourselves into a situation you do not perfectly understand. None of us perfectly understand it unless someone in here has played pro ball before and we do not know it.

Ponder's issues are not physical at all. It is purely his head during that three to five seconds between when the ball snaps until he delivers the pass on game day. For whatever the reason(s) he just loses it in that time frame when it really matters. I'm sure he knows exactly what he is supposed to do and how he is supposed to think and everything else. For some reason, he just can't do it during those three to five seconds.

I do not think that inability, which is only a liability in the NFL, precludes him from having something positive to offer on the sideline. But maybe I'm wrong.

I think you're right on target, as is Brian's post. Ponder is an intelligent man who I believe comprehends the game of pro football but simply can't be a star on the field. I have no problem envisioning him as being a source of knowledge for a rookie player. Who knows? He could end up being a position coach or more.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

Ponders advise......always wear Depends on game days.....
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

those who can do can't teach? that is a sweeping generalization that is more false than true. many players have gone on to be excellent coaches, especially in hockey.