Teddy Bridgewater gets advice from Christian Ponder

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Teddy Bridgewater gets advice from Christian Ponder

Post by Texas Vike »

BGM wrote: Gads, I have always detested that quote. Most of the great teachers I had over the course of my life were experts, or near-experts, in what they were teaching. They all could "do" to one degree or another, but they had IMMENSE teaching talent and a desire to pass on their knowledge. I see Ponder in the same light. He watches film, he practices well, he has never been in the news for missing meetings nor for not giving his all to prepare. He has a wealth of knowledge, but for some reason, has not been able to perform. Maybe his talent truly lies in passing along that knowledge.

If you want proof of the different talent it takes to be a great player vs. a great coach, look at how many journeyman players have become excellent coaches, while superstars have pretty much been "meh".
I agree.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

those who can do, were taught......
nightowl
Career Elite Player

Post by nightowl »

I don't really believe that either. That was thrown out there as pure sarcasm at Ponder's on field struggles. I just forgot the lol smiley. I have tremendous respect for teachers and coaches, I'm personally in a position where I'm training, coaching and teaching a team of people. I know it's very difficult. Believe me there was no real disrespect meant.
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

nightowl wrote:I don't really believe that either. That was thrown out there as pure sarcasm at Ponder's on field struggles. I just forgot the lol smiley. I have tremendous respect for teachers and coaches, I'm personally in a position where I'm training, coaching and teaching a team of people. I know it's very difficult. Believe me there was no real disrespect meant.
Sorry. Definitely did not mean that as a critique of you, just that saying. No harm, no foul!
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

losperros wrote:
I think you're right on target, as is Brian's post. Ponder is an intelligent man who I believe comprehends the game of pro football but simply can't be a star on the field. I have no problem envisioning him as being a source of knowledge for a rookie player. Who knows? He could end up being a position coach or more.
I agree as well!
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

"He just tells me that everything isn't going to be perfect," Bridgewater said. "You're going to have some throws that get away from you. You're going to have some days where you're off. It's all about having a short-term memory. Forgetting the previous game, forgetting the previous play and move on to the next."

Ponder said he tells Bridgewater to "keep chugging away" and "keep your head up." Ponder said it's not just rookies who struggle in the NFL playing a very tough position.
Worked so well for you huh Ponder? Image
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

My immediate reaction:

But seriously, I'm sure he gives decent advice. As BGM pointed out, many players who were never able to put it together on the field became good coaches.

mansquatch wrote:You guys are projecting yourselves into a situation you do not perfectly understand. None of us perfectly understand it unless someone in here has played pro ball before and we do not know it.

Ponder's issues are not physical at all. It is purely his head during that three to five seconds between when the ball snaps until he delivers the pass on game day. For whatever the reason(s) he just loses it in that time frame when it really matters. I'm sure he knows exactly what he is supposed to do and how he is supposed to think and everything else. For some reason, he just can't do it during those three to five seconds.

I do not think that inability, which is only a liability in the NFL, precludes him from having something positive to offer on the sideline. But maybe I'm wrong.
Wait...did you just say that other posters don't understand the issue because none of us play pro ball...and then explain the issue with confidence? :o

Where's my autograph book?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

DKSweets wrote:My immediate reaction:
But seriously, I'm sure he gives decent advice. As BGM pointed out, many players who were never able to put it together on the field became good coaches.
He certainly has experience dealing with adversity. I would imagine he'd have some insights into that.

I like that Bear meme. :)
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

I like that Bear meme.
:fam:
I was onto you all along!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Demi wrote: :fam:
I was onto you all along!
:lol: I knew you were going to say something if I posted that!