This Week's Enemy Fan Forums: The Tampa Bay Buccaneers

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

frosted
Career Elite Player

This Week's Enemy Fan Forums: The Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Post by frosted »

I really hate losing. The manner in which a loss is achieved can intensify or lessen the blow, but in the end, a loss is a loss.

Dear Vikings, please stop doing that.

Thanks,

VMB

Stat Box: Offense

Code: Select all

309.1 Total Yards/Game (29th in NFL)
183.9 Passing Yards/Game (32nd in NFL)
125.3 Rushing Yards/Game (10th in NFL)
17.1 Points/Game (30th in NFL)
Stat Box: Defense

Code: Select all

337.9 Total Yards/Game (13th in NFL)
219.7 Passing Yards/Game (9th in NFL)
118.1 Rushing Yards/Game (19th in NFL)
22.9 Points/Game (14th in NFL)
Random thoughts/observations:

* I think we forget how good Jerome Felton is. After going back and watching the coaches film, he threw some absolutely DEVASTATING blocks. His nifty little 21 yard run was cool too. Overall, he played a big part, as much as anyone, in running as well as we did against the #1 ranked rushing defense in the NFL.

* The defense reversed course this week, rather than starting the game out slowly, and then choking the opposing offense out the rest of the way, they smothered the Bills for 58.5 minutes, and then faltered when the game was on the line. If anything, it's a reminder that this defense is young, and while it can be very good, it still has its moments that make you shake your head. The defense continues to encourage me with their progress, though.

* How about Everson Griffen!? I have been waiting for this game, and it was nice to see him stack up three sacks. Without his play, we aren't in position to win that game at the end. He now has seven sacks this season, and he's well on his way to earning that big contract - it may end up looking like a team friendly contract by the end of it.

* Chad Greenway came back and had himself a solid game, the 4th and 20 notwithstanding. I still want to find a way to get Gerald Hodges on the field, provided he is healthy again, so I am interested to see how that shakes out. Brinkley has been solid, Barr has to stay on the field, and Greenway is still holding his own.

* Xavier Rhodes needs to make the play on that 28 yard completion to Hogan (2nd to last play). He was in great position, but timed his jump wrong, and ended up as the whipping boy because of it (and the last play). It's tough to swallow, since he played very well to that point. Still, to be considered one of the top corners in this league, he has to finish.

* Shariff Floyd had a nice game. I still have some strong concerns based on what I have seen of him on film this year, but he's shown flashes of his potential at time, as well.

* As good as Anthony Barr has been, he needs to clean up some of his problems in pass coverage. He has given up way too many short passes - I trust he'll keep improving on that part of his game, but it is certainly his achilles heel right now.

* McKinnon played great again. I really think we have something in him. He's such a good athlete, yes, but he is already developing a knack for finding daylight and bursting through it. Very adept at breaking arm tackles, and with speed to burn. He's got Percy Harvin wiggle.

* Jennings and Jarius Wright both had a few nice catches, and answered the bell Sunday. Nothing spectacular, but I think that reflects more on the struggles of Ted and the offensive line than on them. Patterson, not so much. He did catch a TD, but man, he runs some ugly routes. Bridgewater made some awful decisions early on, but he finished the game strong (sorta). It's at the point now, where, I need to see some improvement. I understand the offensive line isn't doing him a lot of favors right now, but he still needs to eliminate the bad decisions, and just play some football.

* Speaking of that offensive line, ick.

Don't look now, but here comes the Bucs. I would hope this is a game the Vikings can win, but then again, they haven't done a whole lot to inspire confidence this season. For whatever reason, things never seem to come together at the right team for this team. If we play a great game offensively (we should, but who knows), will our defense be up to the task? The Bucs sit 30th in total offense per game - 24th in passing and 28th in rushing. They score an average of 20 points a game. Defensively, they are dead last, having given up 422 yards per game. They are worst in the NFL against the pass and 25th against the run. Opposing offenses are scoring a whopping 34 points a game on average against the Bucs. This should be a game where our Vikes can get a win under their belt, and create some positive vibes. I am cautiously optimistic that we can do so. It would be embarrassing to lose again this week.

Key Players to Contain - Bucs Offense

* Vincent Jackson (WR): The veteran is having a down year by his standards, but he is still a threat to stretch the field, as well as in the red zone. He's a player we must account for in their passing game.

* Doug Martin (Bobby Rainey) (RB): Martin has been pretty awful this year, but I recall him tearing us apart his rookie season, and I wouldn't sleep on him, as the talent is still there. We'll likely see a steady dose of Rainey as well.

* Trindon Holliday (KR): He actually just signed with the Bucs this week, but he can be electric in the return game. It will be imperative that our guys stay in their lanes on kick off.

Key Players to Neutralize - Bucs Defense

* Gerald McCoy (DT): This guy is a monster. I worry about our interior offensive line being able to slow him down, he is equally adept rushing the passer as he is stuffing the run. Definitely Tampa Bay's best player.

* Lavonte David (LB): The third year man from Nebraska is quietly become one of the better linebackers in the NFL. We'll need to get a hat on him on all running plays, or he can blow the play up. He has 12 'stuffs' this season already (plays in which he stopped the ballcarrier for a loss of yardage).

* Mark Barron (SS): This Bucs defense actually has some nice players, Barron included. He seems a bit miscast in the Cover 2 defense Tampa Bay relies on, but he can still be a game changer. He's still looking for his first interception this season. Don't give it to him, Ted.

Here are the opposing fan forums for this week:

Bucs Chat

http://www.bucschat.com/forum/4-tampa-b ... ers-forum/

Unofficial Team Message Board

http://www.bbs.tbaybucs.com/forum/3-team-discussions/

Football's Future

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/v ... m.php?f=36

What they're saying:
I've seen nothing to indicated the Bucs are ready to win at home. While we are going against a 2 game rookie QB starter (Bridgewater); Bucs have already lost to 2nd & 3rd string backups, no reason to think they cant lose to a team that nearly beat the Bills on the road last week.

Vikes 27 Bucs 20
I want to believe that this is the week it all comes together. I'm going to channel October 1996 and have Tony Dungy's mojo help Lovie, Trent Dilfer be on the field in spirit for Mike Glennon, and Robb Thomas guide the hands of Robert Herron.

Vikings 13 - Bucs 24
Bucs win 37-20. Glennon throws 3 TDS, runs for 110 yards and 2 more TD's. Defense gets a safety. The stadium crowd is doing the wave. Dogs and cats living together.....Then Monday arrives, Jeff is slowly pulling my finger nails out one at a time as he tries to convince me that i had it all backwards. Glennon throws 3 picks, gets sacked for 110 yards fumbling, twice for defensive scores, one sack for a safety. The Defense never actually came out of the tunnel, so the offense played both ways, yet still holds Minnesota's offense to 3 TD's. Minnesota wins 37-20.
BUCS 27 QUEENS 21
This game will tell us a lot about this team and more particularly, the coaching staff. The Bucs are at home, coming off a humiliating loss of epic proportions (the second such loss in a month) and have had two weeks to reflect and adjust. Like the Bucs, the Vikings are a young team with a new coaching staff. They also are grooming a rookie QB and of course, they're franchise player is inactive.

If the Bucs don't win this game, at home, they may very well set themselves on a course for the first pick in the draft next year. I am hoping to see a team that comes out of the tunnel pissed off and playing with a since of urgency. I expect that the coaching staff has looked at film and made changes to the game plan on both sides of the ball.

Opportunities for wins are going to be few and far between this season. This is one game the Bucs should win a need to win. Based on not much logic whatsoever, I believe the Bucs will get it done this week. Bucs 27 Vikings 16
It will be up to the offense to win the game, I havent seen anything good on defense
The way the ravens blitz us over and over and over and no adjustments were made is pathetic.

The ravens took away Glennon's ability to step up in the pocket.
The Vikings are the king of the Blitz scheme.

If McCown starts, Vikings 30, bucs 7
Glennon, Vikings 21, bucs 7

Patterson has been quiet last few weeks, break out game
a mediocre opponent at home, coming off a bye week and a embarrassing performance.

If we lose this one, we got bigger problems than even I realize.

Bucs 21
Vikings 14
This game is lined up as a great opportunity for the Bucs. Bye week gives time to rest and heal, give coaches an extra week to game plan. Minny coming off a tough loss probably somewhat demoralized.

35 17 Vikes.

I'm not picking the Bucs to win till they show me they belong on the same field as an NFL team. Each player needs to nut up and make plays. They don't have to pancake the guy accross from them every play but they do have affect the guy every play. Alter his route, knock him off balance, get in his face, slow him down, every play. And occasionally, knock his *** off.

This is really very simple. Block, tackle, run, throw, catch. These guys have been doing this their whole life, they haven't forgotten how to play, I say they've forgotten how to do their job at a high level.

Dammit, every man on this roster must make plays and every coach must be prepared and be sure his players are prepared.

There, I said it. I feel better.
23-21 Vikings, we lose on a last second FG. Seems like a typical Buc way to lose.
Five Biggest Issues:

1) Free Release

Whether it's "soft coverage", "wrong coverage" or just plain lame-brained idiocy, we're pretty good at getting it wrong. The free release is absolutely infuriating, but it happens on almost every play with almost every receiver. In today's NFL, if you don't disrupt the rhythm of the passing game, you're going to get burned. You can't make it up after the release and you only have five yards to do it in. Obviously, you don't line up in bump and run on every single receiver on every single play, but you also don't line up with a cushion on every single receiver on every single play.

2) Hold-Up Tackling

I get it that we're looking for turnovers and trying to get there by attacking the ball in the ball carriers' hands. What we're getting, however, is players tackling the ball instead of the runner. Broken tackles are the result. It's happening to everyone on the defense, so it's not an isolated incident, it's coached into them, and it's failing.

3) Offensive Tempo

Put simply, we don't have any. It's been much worse with Glennon under center, but it's been a problem no matter whose taking the snaps. IF, and that's a big IF, we get to the line with any time at all on the play clock, we eat it up talking it over and making adjustments. By the time we're done, the defense has made every adjustment they want to and we've got zero edge in the timing of the play. We have yet to catch anyone with their proverbial pants down. It's a reflection of a line that hasn't played together and a QB who isn't sure what he's seeing, and more importantly, how it relates to the play called in the huddle.

This is all more aggravated when Glennon is under center. The importance of the snap count is greatly diminished in today's NFL because of the complexity of the systems, adjustments at the line, etc. The snap count, however, is still very important to a pocket passer and a pocket passing system. If the defense is on the same snap schedule as the offense, you lose.

4) Adjustments at the Line of Scrimmage

Our QB isn't allowed to make them, the adjustments are very limited, or they are making the wrong adjustments. Back to the proverbial, "catch them with their pants down", you can't do it if you're locked into the vanilla being served in the huddle. Again, this is symptomatic of learning a new system, but we have to get to the point where we can adjust to what the defense is showing at the line.

5) Zero Teams

That's exactly what our Special Teams unit has been. We're getting nothing out of the return game and no advantage in the kicking game. Koenen playing it safe all the time really just means we're giving up 5 to 7 yards of field position on every punt, and there are a lot of punts. Patton, for all his heart in the preseason, hasn't done any better than Eric Page did last season.

Go Vikes!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: This Week's Enemy Fan Forums: The Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Post by Mothman »

frosted21 wrote: * I think we forget how good Jerome Felton is. After going back and watching the coaches film, he threw some absolutely DEVASTATING blocks. His nifty little 21 yard run was cool too. Overall, he played a big part, as much as anyone, in running as well as we did against the #1 ranked rushing defense in the NFL.
That was true against Atlanta too. When the Vikes running game gets going, it's often because he's playing his role well.

I loved seeing him get that big gain. They should give him carries a little more often.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Yeah, I am happy with Felton too. I was a little mad at how many FB/TE's we had on the roster, but we need them. I want to see a lot more sets of Felton and Mckinnon. And hand the ball off to Felton once in a while, mix things up. He's at least as good as Asiata (although Asiata is really good on those quick passes/screens) and one of the best blockers I have ever seen.

Thanks for the write up.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

How lame has this season become? The 1-5 Tampa Bay Bucs are 3-point favorites against our Vikings. Ugh.

In spite of it all, however, I see hope for this game.

First, the person who predicted a breakout game from Cordarrelle Patterson could be on to something, and for one reason ... Love Smith's brand of defense. The Tampa 2 gives CP the opportunity to get off the line unimpeded.

Second, the Vikings did a great job running the ball against the top rushing defense in the NFL last week, so we should be able to get some traction on the ground against Tampa Bay.

Finally, a cover-2 defense could be exactly what the doctor ordered for Teddy Bridgewater. This is a young man who needs to complete some passes, and that should be easier against DBs who play off the line.

The big thing is that the beleaguered offensive line of the Vikings must, must, MUST find a way to protect Bridgewater. And Teddy must revert to the decisive quarterback we saw against Atlanta, the guy who got the ball out of his hands quickly and accurately. As Greg Jennings told him, he must stop out-thinking himself and just play.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Wonder how world's greatest slot midget will do against whichever monster he ends up across from. :squash:
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Demi wrote:Wonder how world's greatest slot midget will do against whichever monster he ends up across from. :squash:
What does that even mean?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

I cannot see the Vikings losing this game. I think this is the start of where it all comes together.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: What does that even mean?
It means they have two 6'5 receivers and it'll be interesting to see how Captain does. :(
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Demi wrote: It means they have two 6'5 receivers and it'll be interesting to see how Captain does. :(
I don't think even the biggest Captain fan, thinks he will do anything other then what he has been doing.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Demi wrote: It means they have two 6'5 receivers and it'll be interesting to see how Captain does. :(
Oh, so Captain Munnerlyn is the world's greatest slot midget. I get it.

Sorry. I have trouble keeping all your midget nicknames straight.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:First, the person who predicted a breakout game from Cordarrelle Patterson could be on to something, and for one reason ... Love Smith's brand of defense. The Tampa 2 gives CP the opportunity to get off the line unimpeded.
Good point. As I posted in another thread, I watched the NFL Replay coaches tape and I'm not sure Patterson couldn't have had a breakout game against the Bills. Yeah, I know, he supposedly runs bad routes. Even so, there were two times when Patterson was in a great position for big plays and Bridgewater was too pressured to get the ball to him.

On one play the DB covering Patterson actually fell down. This left Patterson wide open with not much between him and the end zone. It would have been a pretty fair jaunt, but Patterson's speed probably would have made the difference. Unfortunately, Bridgewater was pressured and sacked, so the potential big play never happened.

Patterson also showed during preseason that he can and will use his size for a catch against tight coverage. Not every WR gets wide open all the time.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

More:
I expect us to come out ready and hungry after another embarrassing loss, which has been on the players minds since before the bye. However, this team just cant win. I think we have a shot but in the end Im sure we will do something stupid or Lovie will make some dumb decision and we will end up losing, further solidifying how awful we are behind this HC that thinks its 1995.
I think the Bucs are a 3 win team this year. The Tedford loss will still be felt. The offense really hasn't started very well in any first half this year. I don't expect that to change. I expect the Vikes to run a lot of shallow crosses in this game considering how bad the Bucs LBs and safeties have been in coverage.

I expect a close game. I believe Walsh hits a game winning FG in the last ten seconds.
Teddy bridgewater is going to have the best game of his young career. Name one qb who hasn't come to feast on this defense.
Bucs will get the W here. I think it might be the most convincing win of the year...which won't be saying much but anyway.

28-13 Bucs
For once I am feeling like we are going to come out and play great from start to finish.

Bucs 21
Vikes 13
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Thanks for the additional quotes from Bucs fans. It's interesting to see how the attitudes of fans of losing team similar the attitudes of their fans are to those of Vikes fans when our team is losing. A degree of resignation seems to set in.

Like the first person you just quoted in that batch of quotes above, I expect the Bucs to come out hungry and prepared after an embarrassing loss. i don't think the Vikes are catching them at a particularly good time, with TB coming off the bye and the Vikes playing the second game of a road trip after a tough loss in a physical game. When a team gets humiliated in a blowout loss, as the Bucs did against Baltimore before the bye, they often follow it with a much better, more focused performance. I don't know if that's pride at work or something else but after Atlanta destroyed TB on Thursday Night football earlier this season, the Bucs went on the road and gave a good effort to get their first and only win of the season against Pittsburgh. I think we'll see a similar effort this weekend. Hopefully, the Vikes will be able to come up with a better one and win.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Minnesota playing at a place where we have never won (Raymond James Stadium). If you think our struggles at Solider Field are bad, boy, let me tell you, our performances at Raymond James Stadium are down right atrocious.

Tampa's offense is too mismatched for us to handle. We are going to struggle defensively. Our only hope is Teddy Bridgewater and his ability to recognize cover-2.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Minnesota playing at a place where we have never won (Raymond James Stadium). If you think our struggles at Solider Field are bad, boy, let me tell you, our performances at Raymond James Stadium are down right atrocious.

Tampa's offense is too mismatched for us to handle. We are going to struggle defensively. Our only hope is Teddy Bridgewater and his ability to recognize cover-2.
It's going to be hot, I think that could pose a problem. I'm a bit concerned about that, we'll see how well conditioned our guys are.